PDA

View Full Version : Batto & Iai

Amano
4th January 2004, 13:52
Hi,

I have just begun studying iaido and was wandering what's the difference between iaido and battodo.

Also unlike kendo and kenjutsu I can not understand how different can iaido be from iaijutsu.

ghp
4th January 2004, 20:17
Hello, Amano.

First, please do sign all posts with your true birth name. You can configure your profile to do this automatically so you don't need to remember in future posts.

Now to your question. If you do a search function (button in the upper right of the screen margin) you will find many such mentions. I'll quote one of my responses:
...Batto is the ancient term and says what it means: "Draw Sword." Iai is a much more modern name, being, I believe, less than 200 years old. The earliest date I have personally found is from the 1925 Kenjutsu Kyohan in which it describes Hasegawa Ryu Iai, Omori Ryu Iai, and Toyama Ryu Iai. I am fairly sure I've heard of earlier usages, so -- someone please let me know if they can give me an earlier use of the term (I'd like scholastic citation for my files).

Even Nakayama Hakudo -- who championed the use of the term "iai" --wrote "battojutsu" when describing his system in the early 1930s. He used the kanji "batto", but superscribed "iai" in hiragana to "assist" the reading/meaning of the word. I don't have that particular eimeiroku [student register] page here -- but anyone is free to email me at my office for a jpg and translation (I don't own the original, I copied a photo from a Japanese magazine).

By the bye, Hayashizake's successor was Tamiya Heibei Narimasa ["Shigemasa" according to another source]. Tamiya later established his own system and called it "Batto Tamiya Ryu" [see Warner & Draeger, Japanese Swordsmanship(New York: Weatherhill, 1982)]

Regards, Guy