PDA

View Full Version : Suburi

morpheus
5th January 2004, 19:03
Hello. I have a question regarding suburi. Sensei typically will call out the name of the suburi prior to doing the suburi, I struggle to understand the names so I typically follow along based upon the demonstration of the suburi. Regardless I wanted to ask if someone could enlighten me as the names of certain suburi.
1. Forward men, return to Chudan, slide step back
2. Forward men, sliding step back while making a second men cut
3. Jumping men cut forward and back.
4. Sayu men cut, forward and back.
thanks a bunch for the help.

Ralutin
5th January 2004, 20:57
Hi Jeff,

Here's my answer to your four suburi according to what I've been accustomed to here in our Southern California dojo. The other e-budoka in this group may have different terminoligies (please forgive me if my Japanese is a bit lacking):

1. Forward men, return to Chudan, slide step back = men no uchi sankyo do (men strike in three steps)

2. Forward men, sliding step back while making a second men cut = men no uchi ikkyo do (men strike in one step)

3. Jumping men cut forward and back = haya suburi (fast suburi)

4. Sayu men cut, forward and back = sayu men no uchi ikkyo do (side men strike in one step)

Hope this helps.

gendzwil
5th January 2004, 21:30
1. As Dennis said, shomenuchi sankyo do. The 3 steps are raise, cut, step back.
2. This is the most common suburi, so it's usually just abbreviated as shomenuchi. For this one the raise and the cut should be one motion (don't think up-down, think cut!)
3. Hayasuburi, I think this term is universal.
4. Sayumen. This is often also done with a side to side step, I haven't heard it called anything differently.

Enfield
5th January 2004, 22:46
Originally posted by gendzwil
3. Hayasuburi, I think this term is universal.Our club usually uses choyakusuburi for this, where choyaku means jump or skip.

gendzwil
6th January 2004, 02:32
Never heard that term before, thanks Kent.

morpheus
6th January 2004, 12:59
Thanks for all the feedback. I sometimes have a difficult time understanding some of the things that Sensei says. So I find it very helpful to use you all as a wonderful resource.
Thanks!

morpheus
6th January 2004, 18:04
E-mailed my instructor today. He uses choyaku suburi as well, for jumping suburi versus quick or fast suburi.
Once again thanks for all the information!