PDA

View Full Version : Last Samurai / Movie

H. Hoshino
7th January 2004, 23:16
Dear Samurai mvoie ehtusiast,

I have seen the last Samurai movie in December, 2003. I bought the advanced tickest for me and and few students and took them to the Kabuki theater in San Francisco Japantown. We really enjoyed the movie but I have noticed many incorrect matters appeared in the movie.

1. The miliatry advisors were not sent to Japan from the US at that time.

2. After 1/2 hour of horse back riding from the Yamato Province, the Samurai reached the Mount Fuji area, which was located in the Kanto area ( Over 300 miles away ! ).

3. The Nihongo ( Japanese language ) they spoke among Samurai was not the Meiji Era's langauge.

4. All the Ninja used the replica swords. When one of them dropped the Ninjato, I have noticed that the Hamon was Sanbon-sugi ( Zig-zag ) style, which is the typical Hamon for the Mogito ( Reproduction sword ).

5. The actor Ken Watanabe was the only one who spoke like the Samurai from that Era.

Did you know that Bob ( Silent Samurai actor ) died over 20,000 times in the past Samurai-related movies ?

Maybe, we should not crush Samurai enthusiasts's dream and fantasy by bringing the truth.

H. Hoshino / Happy Day in San Francisco, California

Brian Owens
8th January 2004, 00:00
If you read some of the other posts in these "Last Samurai" threads you will see others commenting on technical errors as well.

But this was a drama, not a documentary or training film.

Enjoy it for what it was.

posiview
10th January 2004, 15:29
If you read some of the other posts in these "Last Samurai" threads you will see others commenting on technical errors as well.

But this was a drama, not a documentary or training film.

Enjoy it for what it was.

I agree totally with these comments! IT WAS A FILM - ENTERTAINMENT!!!"

Carlton
12th January 2004, 04:11
Although the film was inaccurate in many aspects, I feel that the, hollywoodesque but embracing, portrayel will help shed a light of understanding and unveil the beauty on, what many Americans may find as, an obscure and mysterious culture and code of ethics.

H. Hoshino
12th January 2004, 04:42
Dear fellow martial artists,

I thank you for your comments & advise and I will be visting other posts shortly.

Sincerely,

H. Hoshino

On a Happy Day in San Francisco, California

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: