PDA

View Full Version : ninja knife throwing book?

william northcote
11th January 2004, 20:54
Got this off the WinMX network a few weeks ago. Does anyone know anything of this book and to training to bujinkan, or is it a load of nonsense from the 1980's ninja boom?

Sharp Phil
11th January 2004, 21:26
Is there anything about throwing a knife that would be different from a "ninja" perspective than from a "Hey, I want to throw this knife and have it stick" perspective?

william northcote
11th January 2004, 21:31
Originally posted by Sharp Phil
Is there anything about throwing a knife that would be different from a "ninja" perspective than from a "Hey, I want to throw this knife and have it stick" perspective?

Maybe, but I would like to know Phil if it is decent enough for training or just a load of hot air like Ashida Kim books.

Don Roley
12th January 2004, 04:56
Originally posted by Sharp Phil

Well, there are differnces in technique. The knife throwing of the Bujinkan would be based on the shuriken (spike style) of the Togakure ryu. And there are some differences between that and the typical knife throwing techniques you see in most arts. In fact, I used to have a URL for a site that was devoted to knife throwing and they gave a full page devoted to the differences between Japanese shuiken throwing and typical knife throwing. Nagase has a menkyo kaiden in shurikenjutsu from Hatsumi and I have translated many a lecture on the subject. There are differences, and reasons for the differences. But those reasons are not the subect of this discussion and I don't want to give the phonies anything to pad their story. You know my e-mail address if you want a fuller discussion.

As for the original subject, I would not pay for this book if you were looking for actual techniques used in the Togakure ryu. Probably one of those "best guess" type of things rather than from someone who can speak with much authority on the subject.