PDA

View Full Version : Aquestion of term usage

R Erman
15th October 2000, 03:34
I hope this is the right place for this question. My japanese is practically nonexistant. I've taken some clases and done MA for years but my knowledge and understanding is pretty nil. Anyway, I was thinking of using the term Aishinkan for my school. Is that proper Japanese grammar? The meaning that I want is roughly: School(kan)of harmonious or coordinated(AI) spirit(Shin).
Can anyone tell me if this is an acceptable term, or am I saying something totally different? Also I've never seen the Kanji for the Eishin ryu, is this just a different romanji spelling of what I'm wanting to use?

Thanks in advance,

yamatodamashii
15th October 2000, 06:18
I don't think that my Japanese is advanced enough to take on faith, but I really don't see a major grammatical difference between "Aishinkan" and "Aikido". However, I can't help you with eishin--I haven't seen the kanji either.

What system do you practice, and what city are you located in?

R Erman
15th October 2000, 17:01
I study Aikijujutsu and have done a lot of cross-training in Bujinkan, so my Aiki is very Taijutsu influenced. I live in a town 15 minutes south of Joplin, MO, called Neosho. Joplin is in the SW corner of the state. Why do you ask?

yamatodamashii
15th October 2000, 21:51
You've probably noticed that there aren't a LOT of koryu schools in small-town Missouri (ATA, anyone?). I was sorta hoping that you were in commuting distance!

R Erman
15th October 2000, 22:00
Jason,

Where is the location of Mexico, Mo? You're right about the number of old schools around our area, kinda disheartening to those like myself where traveling is not financially ralistic. It would be good if you were somewhat close.

By the way, anyone else have an answer to my original question?

yamatodamashii
16th October 2000, 05:32
I'm about 45 minutes north and east of Columbia.

Adam DArcy
17th October 2000, 15:46
Hello Rob,

I'd like to take a stab at your question from a purely linguistic approach, but as you can imagine so much of language is tied to environment, culture, etc., especially when it comes to MA. After having studied Japanese for 8 years (not a long time granted...) and beginning MA, I've seen all sorts of creative uses of Kanji in very very reputable schools. It would probably be best to post this question, if you haven't already, in the Aikijujutsu or Aikido Forums.

Best regards,

Adam