PDA

View Full Version : Book: "Martial Art Secrets: The Techniques of Aiki" (no author credited)

John Lindsey
19th January 2004, 21:14
I was reading a translation of a Japanese booklet written in 1916 in which the author mentions that one of his sources was a book called Secret Aiki-jutsu (sic). He does not mention the author.

That got me thinking about what is the oldest public book on aikijujutsu?

Nathan Scott
21st January 2004, 01:14
[Post deleted by user]

John Lindsey
21st January 2004, 01:22
Thanks for the info. The book I am reading is called Ninjutsu by Buyouken Kensai, and translated into English by Tsuneyoshi Matsuno. The author never trained in ninjutsu, but he did research it through the material available at that time.

glad2bhere
21st January 2004, 03:05
Dear John and Nathan:

What about that book translated by Obata? I have a paperback copy at home and it is suppose to be a translation of a much earlier work? Sorry. I'm not at home right now or I would provide the particulars. All the same I think you know the one I mean--- with a gold and black cover---- about 8.5 X 11 in size?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Nathan Scott
21st January 2004, 03:25
[Post deleted by user]

Ron Tisdale
21st January 2004, 17:09
by a descendent of Obata Sensei

You meant *ancestor* right??

Ron :)

glad2bhere
21st January 2004, 17:12
Thanks, Nathan. Yes, that was the book I was thinking of. The reason I raised it is that I seem to remember some vague connection between Obata and the aiki arts even if just in title only. I know he did the sword books (NAKED BLADE and CRIMSON STEEL) but I keep thinking that there was some other book or video title about "Samurai" something or other. I think I remember reading in the book you cite the connection to the Takeda family. However, that really is/was a large clan and I maybe out of line trying to connect Obata through it to the aiki art of Takeda Sokaku. I have a really long way to go before I can understand how all of these things come together. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

chrismoses
21st January 2004, 17:32
That would be the currently out-of-print, "Samurai-Aikijutsu" (paperback). I have a copy, and you can't have it. Not surprisingly, it looks a lot like Yoshinkan Aikido to me.

Nathan Scott
21st January 2004, 22:04
[Post deleted by user]

Nathan Scott
26th March 2008, 21:45
[Post deleted by user]

Sukeyasu
27th March 2008, 16:33
Sounds like a religious name to me; "koji" is a term for a Buddhist layman initiate, so my guess is that the name should be read with the Chinese pronunciation.

Nathan Scott
27th March 2008, 18:16
[Post deleted by user]

Sukeyasu
29th March 2008, 15:58
No problem. Sorry I can't be more help with this Bukotsu fellow.