PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarians in Japan?

Alex Meehan
15th October 2000, 16:11
Hi Guys,

I'm planning a trip to Japan in November/December and am wondering what the situation is for visiting or native vegetarians in Japan. I will be in Noda and Tokyo, but I wonder what kinds of dishes are on offer or whether I can look forward to eating a lot of rice and nothing else?

Alex
Dublin
http://www.bujinkan.ie

Kris
16th October 2000, 03:30
That depends on your strict a vegetarian you are. Simply no meat or no animal products (milk, eggs, etc.)?

I cant give you first hand experience, as I rather like yakitori, yakiniku, sakana, etc..., but there are a lot of veggie based dishes here. Plus, if you dont eat meat, it is a hell of a lot cheaper to eat out! My father-in-law eats very little meat, simply because he doesn't like it, and he gets along just fine. If you are going to be in Tokyo, you should have no problem with choices, as restaurants in all "shapes and sizes" are abundent.

The first thing that comes to mind is noodle dishes. Udon, Ramen, Soba. Vegetable tempura is pretty common. Miso soup. Tofu dishes are abundent. If however, you do not eat eggs, this could reduce your food choices.

If you would like a longer list of specific dishes, send me an email offline and I will get a "menu" back to you.

Rik
27th October 2000, 12:14
This is an amusing topic,

Prof. John Steven's top aikido student (called Hugh) at Tohoku Fukushi Daigaku is a strict veggie and he has been in Japan for over 10 years so has all the information you could need on this topic. I suggest you drop him a line by writing to Stevens at the university. Good luck

Rik
27th October 2000, 12:16
This is an amusing topic,

Prof. John Steven's top aikido student (called Hugh) at Tohoku Fukushi Daigaku, (address; Sanjomachi, Aobaku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi-ken, Japan) is a strict veggie and he has been in Japan for over 10 years so has all the information you could need on this topic. I suggest you drop him a line by writing to Stevens at the university. Good luck