PDA

View Full Version : Peter Mason

DenCQB
15th October 2000, 15:55
Has anyone reviewed "Official Assassin" by Capt Peter Mason? I would be interested in your comments, and also any background on Capt Mason.
Many thanks
(Dennis Martin)

Michael Becker
15th October 2000, 18:19
Hello Mr Martin.

The only information I could find regarding this book is contained on the link below.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/Online/99/03/Jedburg.html

I am not sure I myself would have asked the owner of that particular website if he would stock a book of mine...

On a side note welcome to ebudo.

I followed your column in 'Terry O'Neils Fighting Arts International' until the magazine stopped publication. It was a wealth of information on self protection, ( I am still wondering about the contents in that second half of 'Lofty' Wiseman's interview! )

The magazines that are left now in the UK are all toilet paper unfortunately. Come back Terry! ( How is Mr O'Neil doing? I hope the acting is going well ).

I hope you are well and the training school is thriving. I look forward to some informed posts!

Regards

Michael Becker

DenCQB
16th October 2000, 21:42
Michael,
Thanks for the link, and also for your kind comments on the "ON GUARD" Column.
I may be back in print in the near future, if so I'll be including Lofty part two. I'm in the process of trying to get my computer to accept a scanner. When it does I'll have a fair bit of material to send to interested parties.
Again, thanks
Check Six
Dennis Martin

DenCQB
16th October 2000, 21:47
Michael,
Further to the above, I neglected to reply regarding Terry O'Neill. He is currently filming here in Liverpool in the new Samuel L Jackson movie. Also, a major movie "QUILLS" with Michael Caine is due out soon.
Cheers,
Dennis

Michael Becker
17th October 2000, 00:43
Hello Dennis

I look forward to finally reading the second part of that interview!

You mention being back in print. You have definately peaked my intrest there! If you forward the details then I will certainly be opening my wallet for that occasion!

I am also sure there will be plenty of intrested people in whatever information you have.

Have you considered collecting the old 'On Guard' columns together into a book format? There was a lot of good information contained in those columns. It might be an idea-either that or write a book along similar lines.

Have you got a website for the business? Everyone seems to have them these days!

There is a seminar announcement forum here which you could use to advise when future events are being held, in case you hadnt noticed. I am sure there would be a few intrested parties that lurk around here.

I am pleased to see Terry O'Neil's acting career is going strong. I look forward to seeing the films ( I blame Arnold and company for leading him astray! ).

Anyway, if you would be so good as to keep me informed when you get those articles done I would be very grateful.

All the best

Michael

DenCQB
17th October 2000, 21:23
The idea of collecting the columns into a book is interesting, I'll mention it to Terry.
By the way, fellow Fighting Aerts staffer Graham Noble is currently compiling a series of interviews, to be published as a book. Those who know Grahams work, and his level of research, will await this eagerly.
Cheers,
Dennis Martin

Tom Douglas
19th October 2000, 15:24
Some time ago there appeared on this board a reference to a website of one Arthur A. Tansley, a British birdwatcher and budoka who shared some interesting tales as a foreigner training in Japan in the 1960s . . . same vintage as Draeger, C.W. Nichol, et al. Mr. Tansley has a whole page devoted to Terry O'Neill, who he says borrowed 5,000 pounds from him in May 1997 with an 18-month term, and has never paid it back or contacted him about it. See http://www.hpo.net/users/atansley/

With the recent posts describing Mr. O'Neill's acting success, I would hope that Mr. O'Neill would find his way to sharing any resultant financial success with Mr. Tansley by paying him back (assuming Mr. Tansley's claim to be true). Honorable conduct is something to which at least some adherents of the Japanese martial arts purportedly aspire, as followers of samurai-inspired budo.

Michael Becker
20th October 2000, 12:24
Hello Dennis

I think a book version of 'On Guard' would fill a gap in the UK market certainly. I have read some of Col. Jeff Coopers work, which was instructive, but much of it does relate to firearms-a non starter in the UK.

I certainly look forward to seeing Graham Nobles book when it comes out.

Mr Noble is one of the foremost researchers and historians in the martial arts. I can recall his article on bare knuckle fighters which preceeded the current intrest in that subject by a few years.

Thats another book to add to the buy list!

All the best

Michael

DenCQB
20th October 2000, 17:13
Tom Douglas I'm surprised you took it upon yourself to become involved in a dispute between two parties, especially via this forum. I have no intention of commenting on your post, except to suggest that as Terry O'Neill is not on the Internet you should do the honourable thing by addressing your points to him face to face.
(Dennis Martin)

Michael Becker
20th October 2000, 22:05
Mr Douglas

I asked Mr Martin a question regarding what Terry O'Neil was doing these days. Where do you come into the equasion? I assume that you are not a personal aquaintance of Terry O'Neil so I wonder what you really have to add to the conversation?

Can I not ask a question without you spreading vicious and unsubstanciated stories?

Before you spread such stories ( by putting up the url and adding your own condescending comments you become a party to those stories )you might want to ascertain what the full facts are. You might want to get both sides of the story.

You seem happy to accept Mr Tansley's accusations on the basis of him being a contemporary of the likes of Donn Draeger. Sainthood by association?

How about some balance then?

Let me tell you that Terry O'Neil is a very highly regarded man in martial arts circles. A 6th dan in Shotokan karate, a former top class international competitior and one of the most senior members of the KUGB ( one of the foremost karate associations in Europe ). Fighting Arts International was one of the best MA magazines in the world and ran for over twenty years. Since he stopped publishing Fighting Arts, Mr O'Neil has persued a successful acting career, gaining parts in several TV series' and films.

Whatever the dispute between Mr Tansley and Mr O'Neil is, it is their business. It has nothing to do with this thread. It has nothing to do with you Mr Douglas and it has nothing to do with me.

Trial by internet is neither fair nor appropriate.

DenCQB
22nd October 2000, 11:34
Michael,
Jeff Coopers' books are always a good read. It may be interesting to compile of list of recommended books.I'm going to start a thread on this topic, so please join me there.
Dennis Martin

Tom Douglas
23rd October 2000, 17:45
Thank you for your replies, Mr. Becker and Mr. Martin.

Mr. Becker, the remarks about Mr. O'Neill are not "trial by Internet." This has nothing to do with Mr. O'Neill's martial prowess. Nor, for that matter, with Mr. Tansley's; I mentioned Draeger and the other names only to place Mr. Tansley in time. I have no idea whether Mr. Tansley is a saint (Mr. Draeger certainly wasn't), nor whether Mr. O'Neill is a saint or would want to be.

You gentlemen raised the issue of Mr. O'Neill's success. I raised a small part of the possible history behind that success. Mr. O'Neill does not seem to want to comment on the matter; Mr. Tansley appears able to substantiate his claim. The next time I'm in England and come across Mr. O'Neill, I will ask him about it, Mr. Martin. In the meantime, the matter is on the Internet, it's in the public domain, and it's fair comment. And my comment was simply this: IF Mr. Tansley's claim is true, then the honorable conduct traditionally associated with budo as a way of life would recommend repayment of the debt. Period.

I note that a certain teacher of "practical" taijiquan out your way seems to find the Internet a useful medium for such comments, Mr. Becker.

Good day.

Tom Douglas

Michael Becker
23rd October 2000, 20:55
Mr Douglas

The comment regarding my instructor was petty, but you seem content to sit in judgement on others, again, without being in command of all the facts.

What does my instructor have to do with this particular matter? Are you saying that because he has made controversial statements in the past that he should be dragged into this? Or was it meerly a person jibe at me?

There is nothing on my instructors website of the calibur of the allegations that Mr Tansley made against Mr O'Neil. If you can find any comparable character assasination then please point me to it.

"Practical" Tai Chi Chuan. Note the spelling Mr Douglas. As it is a registered name, it would be nice of you did not take it upon yourself to make any 'corrections'.

FYI Mr Docherty is fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese, reads and writes the language, and is an internationally recognised teacher of the art. The particular romanization used may not be the current choice of the PRC, but it was the most commonly used in 1984 when the name was registered. It is still the most commonly recognised romanization-which is useful when trying to teach the general public.

Your "" around the word practical implies some question regarding authenticity. Mr Docherty's credentials are well documented and easily verified.

What are your qualifications and achievements in Tai Chi Chuan and the Chinese language Mr Douglas? How long have you spent living in Asia? How about the names of your instructors?

If you dont have any then maybe you might want to consider the value of your comments.

Regarding the idea of "fair comment". Is it a habit of yours to throw in nasty allegations in the middle of unrelated conversations? Do you know what 'crass' means Mr Douglas?

As I stated clearly before, the dispute between Mr Tansley and Mr O'Neil is their business. I am not going to comment on any particulars of that matter.

Public knowledge of a personal dispute does not, in my opinion justify public participation.

I will not post further on this matter. My email address, unlike yours, is listed if you want to continue in private.

Tom Douglas
23rd October 2000, 23:34
Anything that I wish to discuss on this matter is for a public forum, Mr. Becker. Anything I say, or that is said to me, can be by way of this forum. That's why my e-mail address is private.

I'm not sure of the relevance to this matter of your discourse on romanization systems for the Chinese language. I also have no issue with the background of your taijiquan teacher. As far as I can tell, he's had the good fortune of studying with an excellent taiji teacher, and has gone on to truly make the art his own. I merely pointed out that he has been known to make disparaging remarks about other people and taijiquan styles in public fora, including his web site, his book, and appearances in the erstwhile "Fighting Arts International" magazine.

And the only point my initial post tried to make remains: what honorable conduct would demand of a follower of budo in a matter of substantial financial debt, where the ability to repay was there.

Good day.

Tom Douglas

John Brado
30th October 2000, 05:55
Hit first, fast, hard and last - I like that. He who hits last wins.