PDA

View Full Version : Randori DVD

slait
21st January 2004, 13:54
Gassho,

Does anyone know if Hombu has some plans to (re)publish these new DVDs (e.g. Randori no Susume) with english subtitles?
If not, then it would be great, if someone could translate them and make subtitle-files in some common format (SubViewer/JACOsub/MicroDVD/etc.). Of course, permission to do this is needed. Then all non-japanese-speaking kenshis would benefit much more from these excellent products.

Laurent ESPESO
21st January 2004, 16:17
Gassho,

Sorry I don't know about the re-publishing of "Randori No Susume" with english subtitles, but I think this material had been recorded for Japan only, of course it had been recorded in Europe, but the Publishing company was Japanese.

And from another hand, I think that without understanding japanese it could benefit to anybody just seeing the movie and understanding the japanese terms of timing (go no sen, etc...). Randori has a part of theory but the essential is seeing how it should be done.

So I am not sure of the re-publishing of this DVD with english explanations because this is not a technical support.

Maybe someone knows about this matter more than I and could tell us exactly about the re-publishing.

Kesshu,

Laurent Espeso
Shorinji Kempo
Vaugirard Branch Secretary

George Hyde
21st January 2004, 16:40
Hi All,

During the filming for the randori DVD we were all under the impression that it would be published with English subtitles (or even sound-track). The fact that it managed to get through editing, postproduction, packaging, promotion and publication without such suggests to me that it's not likely to happen.

I did here that the publisher wanted to turn a profit before re-issuing with English content, but nothing more concrete than that.

Later,

luar
21st January 2004, 17:04
Originally posted by George Hyde
Hi All,

During the filming for the randori DVD we were all under the impression that it would be published with English subtitles (or even sound-track). The fact that it managed to get through editing, postproduction, packaging, promotion and publication without such suggests to me that it's not likely to happen.

I did here that the publisher wanted to turn a profit before re-issuing with English content, but nothing more concrete than that.

Later,

Interesting because just the other day after class, our branch members were wondering how strange it was to gather everyone in London and not to have done it in English.

Even more interesting to imagine that it be more costly for the producers to reissue a new DVD with English content (subtitles or audio) than to have done it the first time.

George Hyde
21st January 2004, 17:19
Originally posted by luar
Even more interesting to imagine that it be more costly for the producers to reissue a new DVD with English content (subtitles or audio) than to have done it the first time.

...which is why I wouldn't recommend holding your breath 'til the English version arrives.

To be perfectly honest - I'm not fussed either way - I was so disappointed with the end result that having an English translation isn't really going to do it for me.

Later,

David Dunn
21st January 2004, 18:44
I haven't seen it even, despite providing a dojo free of charge for the filming, and hunting down 30 ham rolls for the production team.

sean dixie
21st January 2004, 22:01
Dave, trust George - it's no biggie. When your up next I'll buy you a ham roll :D

David Dunn
21st January 2004, 23:45
Originally posted by sean dixie
Dave, trust George - it's no biggie. When your up next I'll buy you a ham roll :D

I'll be up this weekend Sean. Hopefully out and about with George on Saturday night somewhere.

Anders Pettersson
22nd January 2004, 02:09
I split this (http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24040) thread since that was about the So Doshin monogatari and translation issues, this had come to be more about the DVD Randori no Susume.

/Anders

Tripitaka of AA
23rd January 2004, 08:37
Looking at the timestamp on his last post, I'd say that Anders is another Web-Insomniac :eek:

Anders Pettersson
23rd January 2004, 09:29
Off topic but:

Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
Looking at the timestamp on his last post, I'd say that Anders is another Web-Insomniac :eek:
Actaully I work shift and now and then have some time at work to do the occasional post, so even if it maybe wasn't the case with this one, I might post from work in the middle of the night. :cool:

/Anders