PDA

View Full Version : Spots!

Blackwood
30th January 2004, 02:33
I was dealing with the concept of Martian Gravity in my kids class last week, trying to figure out a better way of doing it. And then I recalled seeing something in the supply closet of the facility where I teach. They were ten inch rubber spots, suitable for setting on the floor and are sometimes used for boundries in games and stuff.

I was inundated tonight with 12 students, 6 brand new. I dropped the spots on the floor where I wanted them, told each student to pick one and got to it. No more Martian Gravity! It kept the spacing safe for the whole class and no one got lost or wandered away.

I love spots! It really made teaching a great deal easier!

Allie
30th January 2004, 15:33
Dear Mark;

That is a great idea. I have friends in many schools that have spots on their mats permanantly. They use them in the same way. I think you would do well with my 101 Drills for and exciting classroom.

In spirit;
Allie Alberigo
Lininja.com

Blackwood
30th January 2004, 16:19
Ah! I've seen your tape and it interests me. But I'll have to save up some cash to acquire it. I've just gotten enough profit to order a couple of targets for punching and kicking. If things keep going the way they have the first month, it should be a good run!

Allie
30th January 2004, 16:25
Dear Mark:

Allie
30th January 2004, 16:28
Dear Mark:

Please don't take this the wrong way. I think it should be a top priority for you as a new school owner to get the tapes, whether they be mine or someone else's this will help you so that you are never lean on money or even not sure of where your next source is coming from. In other words you can't afford not to buy stuff that will help your school or you grow. Just my opinion. With the best interest of you in mind.

In spirit;
Allie Alberigo
Lininja.com

Blackwood
30th January 2004, 18:05
New School Owner might be a bit strong for what I do. I teach two classes a week, children only, as a sort of branch off the main dojo where I train. I was going to do it for free, but the building insisted that I charge. ("It's worth what they pay for it. If it is free, they won't come.") Okay, I pay my assistants, provide a cut to my teacher and since I am charging I have to pay the building fee. Not a full time job and not expecting to really turn a profit. Currently I have as many kids as I can handle in the junior class.

It really is amazing the stories I'm hearing from the parents regarding other dojos. I had one last night. Mother was beaming about the fact her youngest son was enjoying the classes and wanted to keep coming back (paid 5 weeks in advance!). He had gone to another school and would leave there in tears because he has trouble with right and left and the sensei cut no slack. I don't comprehend how anyone would treat anyone interested in the martial arts in that manner. The only time I can see yelling at someone is regarding safety issues, or repeated monkey business in class. And if it is a safety issue, the teacher has not communicated properly up front.

I have 4 simple rules:

Listen
Be Aware
Do Your Best
Do Not Touch Others

There is a lot more to them then that, but the kids can remember those and associate all the other stuff that goes with them fairly easily.

Okay, enough rambling! I appreciate the thoughts. I'm working through the standard drills and ideas from my fellow dojos at this point, many with many years of experience in it. I have lots of support, but am always open to new ideas. The summer seminar gives one lots of opportunities to exchange the new things that we've learned during the year and ask questions. And having people around like you, Allie, make it easier!

Domo Arigato Goziamas!

chizikunbo
9th February 2004, 17:57
I think that spots are a great ideas, for kid classes any way, but it seems like a practical idea:cool: