PDA

View Full Version : Robert Burns Single Malt

Ben Bartlett
31st January 2004, 20:52
So, around a week ago, a pal of mine and I walked to a local LCBO and found that some folks had come over from a distillery in Scotland to show off (that is, let people taste) and sell their single malt, named, as the title suggests, after Robert Burns. Apparently it comes from the Isle of Arran, and unlike most island Scotches I've had, it was neither smokey nor peaty, but instead very light and smooth. My friend was in heaven, as this was exactly the sort of Scotch he was looking for (I prefer the peatier, smokier stuff myself, but I enjoyed it nonetheless ;) ). Since I know there are other Scotch drinkers on this board, I was curious to know if anyone else had tried this and, if so, what they thought of it.

Neil Yamamoto
1st February 2004, 03:11
Isle of Arran is one of the newest distillerys in the great land of my favorite vice, scotch.

So far, they have been releasing blends and finally their own single. The whisky produced is still young and needs a bit more time in cask to my taste buds. It reminded me of a cross between a lowland malt and an Islay. The overall feel was similar to Isle of Jura malts, but had a distinctly crisper flavor in mouth, with a bit more age, it would be really good.

The Burns whisky is available as a blend, which is supposed to be extremely smooth, and a Burns Malt. Both are designed to be very light and clean, smooth with an easy to drink appeal. Good stuff but light to my taste buds too.

Of course, when I see stuff like the literature available on the stuff, all I think is marketing gimmick, like the United Distillers Classic malts of Scotland pitch.

Drink more, budo will make sense if you do.