PDA

View Full Version : Blood on the Sun

Arashi
16th October 2000, 21:14
Hi all.

I have just came back from an extended hollyday on the beach and while there i happened to see for the first time a movie
called "Blood on the Sun" starring James Cagney and Sylvia Sydney. Well, the fact is that i was amazed for the quality of the Judo displayed on the film! I believe that it is the best action film that uses Judo that i have ever saw (although unfortunetely they use that ridiculous "judo chop" quite some times). Since it was shot in 1943 (describing fictional facts that took place a little before the war broke) i am sure that none of the Judoka that apeared on the movie were Japanese, not only the one who doubled for Cagney, never showing his face when in Judo Action, but the ones that appear in the, lets say, "Kodokan" , in the beggining of the movie. The question is, do you know who they are? Joe?

Toni Rodrigues

Joseph Svinth
17th October 2000, 07:52
For stories about the making of this movie (which was released in 1945, not 1943), see "Blood on the Sun: Judo in America, 1944" by Patrick Keelaghan, http://ejmas.com/jalt/jaltart_keelaghan_0900.htm

While at InYo, also visit Jim Grady's article on films; "Blood on the Sun" is one of his favorites, too.

Meanwhile, if cruising the video store, "A Bad Day at Black Rock" has the one-armed Spencer Tracy tossing Ernie Borgnine while Robert Ryan watches...

Arashi
17th October 2000, 13:26
Thanks Joe, i've been there and loved it, but...is there something else? I mean, who is this fabulous guy who doubles for Cagney? Keelaghan describes him as "the first dan i told you about and he is very good". Very good indeed! Any clues?
Thanks.

Toni

MarkF
17th October 2000, 14:49
From what I have read of this film, Cagney did learn some judo in preparation and did go to an internment camp with filmakers to learn it. In 1943, where else would it come from?

Yes, the judo chop. If anyone still thinks a blow such as that don't exist then where would they have gotten it? If there was a technical advisor, atemiwaza would surely have played a role. "Judo chop" is a pro-wrestling term, but it probably had its origin in atemi no jutsu.

Interestingly enough, the Japanese film "Sanshiro Sugata" (The judo Saga) was made that same year.

Mark

Arashi
17th October 2000, 17:59
Hi Mark.

Yes, Cagney learned a little and it shows. He actually does a seoi nage and if you see it you will find it is well performed enough to grade him as a yellow belt or something. But the guy that doubles for him is really good. Watch the movie, the story is obviously outdated, but if don't mind that, is full of action and easy to like.
The "Judo Chop". You know, i collect old Judo/Jujutsu books and you find this blow with a knife-hand in some of them actually, as preffered to a fist. Here in Brazil, it is known as a "karate", not a "karate chop", just a "karate" as if it encompasses all the art. It is much more used in Karate than it ever was in Judo, i believe, but even in Karate it is not used as much as people usually believe. As for pro-wrestlers, Rikidozan was famous for knocking out his oponents using this same technique, Massahiko Kimura included, wasn't it? Regards.

Toni

ghp
17th October 2000, 18:51
Joe,

Is this the same movie that has a bar scene with a drunken Army Officer?

(hakujin to Cagney) "Watch out, it's the deadly samurai sword dance!!"

(Drunken Japanese Officer) -- performs Chinese style moves and strikes the ground while jumping around.

Is this the same movie? I'm not a judo/jujutsu person, but I do have a little knowledge of iaido ... and I cried.

Another movie, later, and with real Japanese actors showed an evening in an officer's hut (maybe a prison camp?). One of the camp officers was asked to perform for the visiting VIP. The officer perfomed what looked like gen-yew-wine iai kata.

Joe....??? C'mon buddy, help a Guy out.

Regards,
Guy

Joseph Svinth
18th October 2000, 06:46
Toni --

The stunt double was probably Jack Sergel as he was the film's technical advisor and had won at least one LA tournament before WWII. He was LAPD's H2H instructor, actually.

After the war he quit the police and by 1949 he worked as Cagney's bodyguard. Then I lose sight of him. However, I will admit to not having looked too hard, as it is part of California history and I haven't done much with California.

Guy --

I haven't seen the whole film in ages, so can't say. :(

Zero for two on this one, but a history of MA in Hollywood would make a fun LA-based research project.

MarkF
18th October 2000, 09:33
Toni,
Yes, I have seen the movie, and his seoinage isn't bad, but he muscled it. First instinct for most judoka when they start out. Same with aikido, and other ryu of jujutsu.

As for pro-anything, the difference explained by the then colorful Dick Lane on Wenesday night wrestling, was that the "chop" (knife edge-shuto) was judo. Since Gene Lebell was working the ring a lot in those days, probably played a "hand" as well as three Japanese wrestlers of the day. What was "karate" was a spear-hand to the throat and was obviously dirty.

The knife-edge in judo is the most common type of strike found in the atemi jutsu no kata of which most came from tenjin shinyo ryu jujutsu. Reason being: atemi was rarely used to finish, or indeed hurt the opponent too badly, but was simply a way to off-balance (kuzushi) an opponent to finish with a nagewaza. It is much harder to shake off a throw than a punch/strike, especially since the entire body was just supplanted via a "which way is up" throw. Mutual benefit may fit here, too. The point is to stop the fight long enough to get away, and not cause much damage. There is follow thru though if necessary. The punch is seen much more widely in the kata of kime and koshiki no kata (the latter was actually supposed to have been done in armor, so a punch was much more likely to break your hand than to help you get a way.:) ) In fact, most punches seen in kata of judo is strictly for the attacker to throw, and the receiver to block, side-step, side-step and apply an elbow lock, or the latter plus a strike. I could go on, but this porbably belongs in the judo forum if it does go on.

I am a poor book collector, as I thought early on that books didn't teach; dojo did. I am thoroughly being "beaten to the punch" when this stuff comes up, and I rely far too much these days on the easy way to read: "Searching the Internet."

Thanks for the Info.

Mark