PDA

View Full Version : Tozando Shinto Higo

Lousy Beat
3rd February 2004, 22:36
I don't want to start another post on the merits of Tozando's products in general, but just their KA-111 Shinto Higo model. All complaints I have heard about Tozando (light weight, whippy blade, loose tsuba) seem to revolve around their lower end products. Has anyone tried out this iaito and can give some feedback on it? Thanks

Maro
3rd February 2004, 22:59
My Friend has just recieved this Iaito - it is a beautifully made blade. I can discern no "Whippyness" in the blade and I am using a 2.60 shaku Maskuni Dotanuki from Tozando so am used to a more sturdy blade.

The finish is exceptional - the Saya is very impressive. He has the number 3 Tsuba and it looks antique.

One thing to note, the colour on the website is not accurate - the actual colour of the saya and Tsuka are more bronze than the copper of the pic. My friend prefers the bronze over all.

Lousy Beat
5th February 2004, 03:33
Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably end up picking this iaito up.

Maro
5th February 2004, 04:45
Good choice - I was training next to my friend weilding this blade last night - it is fantastic.

One other point - did you order a standard size? I think you will be lucky as the Higo only goes up to 2.50 Shaku and they always have them in stock. He got his in 3 weeks - unlike me who had to wait 3 months for the saya to be finished on my Dotanuki!

Lousy Beat
5th February 2004, 04:56
Yup, I'll be going with a 2.50. I've never tried anything longer than that, could be interesting though. Sure hoping I don't have a hefty wait ahead of me for this.

Maro
5th February 2004, 05:42
Originally posted by Lousy Beat
Yup, I'll be going with a 2.50. I've never tried anything longer than that, could be interesting though. Sure hoping I don't have a hefty wait ahead of me for this.

You should be fine. I had to go the 2.60 route due to height. Mind you I am only 6" 1' - we have a new guy who is 6" 8', I wonder how long his sword will be!

Ong Han Beng
5th February 2004, 05:57
I got my Shinto Higo last year. No problem. You can actually instruct them to tighten the Tsuba for you. It'll help.

My tsuba, I requested for one from another model. A little extra, but worth it.

Cheers
Han

Maro
5th February 2004, 06:18
Originally posted by Ong Han Beng
I got my Shinto Higo last year. No problem. You can actually instruct them to tighten the Tsuba for you. It'll help.

Cheers
Han

They are good at responding to your requests. Originally I ordered a different Iaito but realised I could afford the Dotanuki as the extra for the length of the original was the same - they switched orders with no fuss.

People complain about their service but they were honest - I had to wait because of the saya being made from scratch. In a way I think this was a good thing as it made my iaito special to me. The finished Saya is different to the ones on the website so is unique in my eyes (I know it is not but it I fool myself!)

Ong Han Beng
5th February 2004, 06:52
Mat,

My shinto higo is so beautiful, I decide not to use it for regular practise. No common problem at all with miss aligned habaki area, scratched mark blade. Maybe I was lucky. Enjoy you purchase.
:)

Han

Maro
5th February 2004, 08:24
Mat,

My shinto higo is so beautiful, I decide not to use it for regular practise. No common problem at all with miss aligned habaki area, scratched mark blade. Maybe I was lucky. Enjoy you purchase.

Han

It is my Friends. He has a slight discolouration of the Tsuba where his Thumb rests but it makes it look more antique.

What do you use for practise?

Ong Han Beng
5th February 2004, 08:37
bokken.
no i am kidding. still using my old edo koshirae.

han

Maro
5th February 2004, 08:42
Is that by Tozando? I haven't seen that one.

This was my first choice:

http://tozando.com/eng/iaido/ka109.html

Ong Han Beng
5th February 2004, 08:48
yes, no problem with the fittings as well. i asked them to re-outfit with another tsuba.

the Tensho Koshirae looks ok. don't like the tsuba though. I've seen a tsuba with a tiger behind a bunch of bamboo. would love to get my hand on that. anyone knows where i can find it?

going to Japan in February. Hope to find it there.

Han

Maro
5th February 2004, 09:03
Great stuff - I plan to go in a couple of years!

Ong Han Beng
5th February 2004, 09:06
visiting my teacher there for some training.
will be on a look out for that ellusive tsuba.

Maro
5th February 2004, 09:08
visiting my teacher there for some training.
will be on a look out for that ellusive tsuba.

Good luck!

Ong Han Beng
5th February 2004, 09:11
Thanks mate! You'll love Japan.

ddeacon
6th February 2004, 00:48
I got a Higo about 6 months ago an love it. The blue on black has a real nice look to (I have photos if you're interested). I haven't noticed any looseness at all in the tsuba or wobbling in the blade.

As far as Tozando's service goes, I was actually pretty impressed with it. Considering they are on the other side of the world, I could drop them an email and get responses very quickly from them. I have absolutely no regrets from getting it.

M J Moquin
11th February 2004, 01:01
Originally posted by Maro
You should be fine. I had to go the 2.60 route due to height. Mind you I am only 6" 1' - we have a new guy who is 6" 8', I wonder how long his sword will be!

2.60 Really? I'm 6' and everywhere I checked said I should be a 2.50. Now I'm wondering if I'm getting one too short.

pgsmith
11th February 2004, 04:06
2.60 Really? I'm 6' and everywhere I checked said I should be a 2.50. Now I'm wondering if I'm getting one too short.
Your sensei is the one to tell you what length sword you should get. I too am 6'0", and in my present school I use a 2.6.0 In talking with others that teach different schools, my proper sword length would range from 2.6.5 to 2.4.0 That's quite a spread! It really depends upon what the school's philosophy and movements are as to what your proper sword length should be. If you've already ordered it, don't sweat it!

Cheers,

Brian Owens
11th February 2004, 04:14
Originally posted by M J Moquin
Best to ask your sensei for advice before making a purchase.

The general guidelines and rules-of-thumb are just that -- general guidelines.

Some ryu (like TSKSR) favor somewhat shorter blades, while others (like MJER) favor longer blades.

EDIT: pgsmith beat me to the "Submit Button." But we're on the same page here. Ask your sensei for best advice.

Maro
11th February 2004, 04:22
My Sensei was explaining this to another student who is the same height as me.

Measuring the clearance from the floor was the way he decribed it. In Battodo you hold the handle normally and let it hang so it is just above the ground.

Iaido is similar I think but held differently - I don't do Iaido so cannot confirm that.

M J Moquin
11th February 2004, 04:22
Thank you both. I figured I should ask sensei tomorrow night. Now you've confirmed it.

SeventhSentinel
11th February 2004, 08:14
My Sensei was explaining this to another student who is the same height as me.

Measuring the clearance from the floor was the way he decribed it. In Battodo you hold the handle normally and let it hang so it is just above the ground.

Iaido is similar I think but held differently - I don't do Iaido so cannot confirm that.

Yeah in my MJER dojo we were told to try a boken, hold it your right with normal grip and let it fall to your side. If the blade comes just above the ground (bout an inch or two)then that's the right size. I'm 5'6" and use a 2-4-5

Brian Owens
11th February 2004, 10:16
If you're doing a koryu bugei it's especially important to ask your sensei for advice, since the rules for sword length are so varied among the ryu.

If you're doing ZNKR Iai or a mainstream Iaido the rules-of-thumb generally get you close enough.

Here is an Excel spreadsheet I made up that shows average blade lengths for various heights. The conversions between inches, centimetres, and shaku on the blade length were calculated by Excel and then averaged, so they don't always come out even, but they're close enough to extrapolate from. Using the shaku figures is the most accurate, and that's how swords (iaito and shinken) are usually ordered anyway.

Brian Owens
11th February 2004, 10:20
Sword sizing is a bit tricky, but it gets easier the more you practice and with experience using other swords. You can take one of several approaches or combine the results into a composite length to pick the right sword. Additionally, keep in mind that each school and the sensei will have a different idea about “ideal” sword length.

Method #1:
Use swords of various length. Try ones longer and shorter than you are now using, and you will find the one that is correct.

Method #2:
Use a bokutoh without the tsuba, draw the sword as you would in Nukitsuke (opening draw), and see where your maximum draw length is.

Method #3:
Standing up, hold a bokutoh without a tsuba at your right side. The kissaki tip should be aimed at the floor and your shoulders naturally relaxed, with your arms at your side. You can slide the bokutoh up and down until the kissaki just clears the floor. It shouldn’t hit, if you swing your hand front to back.

Method #4:
Subtract 90 cm (35.5 inches) from your height. This length will give a rough sword length suggestion for most people. Not very accurate for taller, or shorter people, but an interesting starting point.

M J Moquin
11th February 2004, 23:13

Which tsuba did you get?