PDA

View Full Version : Second Street Deli

Dave Lowry
4th February 2004, 20:03
Taking a break from writing a review of the best matzo ball soups in the area and found myself daydreaming, mouth a-water, about the matzo soup at Second Street Deli in New York. Any New Yorker members who have been there? Heavenly.

Cordially,

elder999
4th February 2004, 20:29
Originally posted by Dave Lowry
Taking a break from writing a review of the best matzo ball soups in the area and found myself daydreaming, mouth a-water, about the matzo soup at Second Street Deli in New York. Any New Yorker members who have been there? Heavenly.

Cordially,

You mean Second Avenue Deli? The one with the Yiddish clock outside, at Second and Tenth? I went in there a couple of times. For Kosher deli I really liked the one on Grand Streeet, but that's because it was close to where we lived when I was small...both had great sandwiches.
I'm not very fond of matzoh soup, though....

RayCorrea
4th February 2004, 20:45
My Wife makes a mean matzo ball soup.

As far as kosher delis...

Katz's deli on Houston Street.

nuff said

:D

Dave Lowry
4th February 2004, 20:47
Yes, Second Avenue. Not Street.

Earl Hartman
10th February 2004, 21:49
Since I like traditional deli food (and I have yet to meet anybody who doesn't like matzoh ball soup), and I am always on the lookout for a good kosher place (who knows when I may be in NYC?) I am curious to know if the 2nd Avenue deli is actually kosher or is just "kosher style". Does anybody know?

Dave Lowry
11th February 2004, 12:43
Dear Mr. Hartman,
Yes, Second Ave. Deli is kosher.
Well worth the trip if you’re ever in the area. They make their own corned beef. They have a great ptcha, those jellied calves’ feet that are, come to think of it, to Eastern European/Jewish cuisine what ashti-bichi is to Okinawan cooking.
Also, the cholent is not to be missed. They put in just a touch of chicken broth that gives it this aroma you can smell when you come in the door, as I recall. The chocolate babka is splendid.

Also might consider Bernstein-on-Essex in the city. They make their own pastrami, including a Romanian pastrami, that’s incredible.

I share your opinion of matzo ball soup; cannot understand how anyone could dislike it, but when I brought up the subject at the local Jewish Community Centre where we train, I was surprised at some of the old guys, mostly Russians, who said they couldn't stand the stuff.

Cordially,

Earl Hartman
11th February 2004, 21:22
Thanks.

I will, however, give the jellied calves feet a miss, if it's all the same to you. Gack.

The last time I was in New York, I went to a small kosher Italian restaurant near Museum Mile (can't remember the name right offhand) and had a pretty decent brace of grilled lamb chops. It was really nice to be able to go to a nice place and just say "Waiter! Bring me whatever is good today!" instead of wondering whether or not I could eat anything other than an undressed salad. Very nice.