PDA

View Full Version : Sushi lovers

Ren Blade
5th February 2004, 15:19
I love sushi. I don't know what it is about it but it tastes so good and it's beautiful to just look at before you eat it. I was told that sushi is edible art. Sushi seems so simplistic but yet it satisfies and all the while there seems to be some mystique to it. Any thoughts?

My favorites:
Salmon sushi
Unagi
Ikura
Uni
Saba Mackeral

And of course for maki's, California rolls.

SMJodo
5th February 2004, 15:32
Ah, a fellow Sushi enthusiast. I can't claim to know everything about it, but I eat it a lot and really enjoy it. I'm just giddy that so many new Sushi places are opening up near me - they're all over the place now. I even made my own a few times and it came out pretty good. I just got some Sushi Knives and a rice cooker to really get into it, but my wife got pregnant and now I can make any because there's nobody to eat it with me - damn.

There's acutally a Shushi school out in California that trains people to become Sushi Chefs. I'd love to go, but I don't think I could make a career out of it. Sounds like fun though.

Some of my favorites (maki) are:

Salmon Katsu (Katsu Salmon, Cream Cheese, Avacado, Roe)
Salmon Skin
Spicy Tuna
Eel
Spicy Scallop

Ren Blade
5th February 2004, 17:46
Oh, I love any of the spicy maki's.

Well, I live in Boston. Maybe one day I can train at the Sushi school you mention. I would love to know how to make some myself. I eat sushi every now and then as a treat as it can be costly even with the sushi places that's a dollar per sushi.

SMJodo
5th February 2004, 17:53
Yea, it does cost a bunch. Ususally I get between 2-3 rolls for lunch at anywhere from 3.50 to 5.00. So a typical lunch runs me around $12 or so. Of course, there's a bunch of "all you can eat" places - but their Sushi is usually not that good.

Blackwood
5th February 2004, 17:56
Chirashi is usually what I go for. Runs anywhere from $10 to $20 depending on location. Basically a big bowl of rice with ten different items arranged artistically on top. Usually includes cucumber, crab, shrimp, tuna, salmon, egg, pickled gourd, ika, mackeral and octopus. With ginger and wasabe, of course! Sometimes decorated with roe, mushrooms or other items for effect. And the sushi chef will adjust contects depending on what is in season or what he has a lot of. I found that they can be fairly generous in what they put in. I've even had them put in toro instead of the normal cut of tuna.

Pete Knox
5th February 2004, 23:42
Gotta have Octopus! Definitely my all time favorite. Honestly, I'm more a sashimi guy, but I don't mind a good piece of sushi or roll either. The rest, in order, would be:

Fatty Tuna
Spicy Tuna
Salmon
Mackerel
Whitefish
Any type of roe

About the only thing I don't like is the crab stick, and scallops. If I have to I'll eat the crab (usually it's the texture that gets me for some reason), but I just really can't stand scallops, whether sushi, sashimi, fried, grilled, or any other form. Really can't explain it, just about the only seafood I won't eat. :confused:

SMJodo
6th February 2004, 01:20
Hey Pete - I noticed you're from Edison. I grew up in Matawan and lived in Avenel for a year or so before I moved to Florida in 1992. I still have a lot of family in the Edision/Colonia/Rahway area. I have no idea where to get good sushi when I'm up there visiting - do you know of a good sushi place?

Pete Knox
6th February 2004, 13:08
Greg -

Luckily, there's quite a few around here:

Tokyo (in the mall on Oak Tree Road, in Edison, but very close to Iselin -- nice place; tatami rooms, good sake, the whole deal.)
Edo (New Brunswick, downtown George Street, next to the Golden Rail)
Benihana (Edison, across from the Menlo Park Mall, just opened a few months ago - better than I expected, if a bit pricey.)
Penang (Old Post Road, across from the mall with a Pep Boys - actually a Malaysian restaurant (and a darn good one, imo), but they have good sushi as well - btw, there's a good Korean restaurant in that mall as well, I believe the name is Keum Jo Heung.)
Ichiban (Route 27 and Parsonage Road, in the mall with a 7-11, across the street from the Rite-Aid next to JFK hospital)

Pete

SMJodo
6th February 2004, 16:02
Awesome - thanks.

Ren Blade
10th February 2004, 15:36
I haven't had Sushi for over 2 weeks. I'm gonna go get some at lunch today. :D

SMJodo
10th February 2004, 15:43
Ditto - I'm going through Sushi DTs.

Mekugi
10th February 2004, 15:52
Perhaps the greatest thing ever contributed by the West to Sushi: The Philidelphia Roll.

My opinion.

Ohh Sashimi, still with a twitch, cannot be beaten with beer and fresh REAL wasabi.

-R

Ren Blade
10th February 2004, 19:29
I used to love the Philadelphia rolls. I'm not into them now.

I just came back with 36 pieces of sushi for $31.13. :D

Jeff Larsen
14th February 2004, 02:50
Hi Pete,

If your ever in Kendall Park, running down Rt. 27, there is a restaurant called Kyoto that is very good. Another one near Cinnaminson called Fuji that is also very good.

Jeff

Originally posted by Pete Knox
Greg -

Luckily, there's quite a few around here:

Tokyo (in the mall on Oak Tree Road, in Edison, but very close to Iselin -- nice place; tatami rooms, good sake, the whole deal.)
Edo (New Brunswick, downtown George Street, next to the Golden Rail)
Benihana (Edison, across from the Menlo Park Mall, just opened a few months ago - better than I expected, if a bit pricey.)
Penang (Old Post Road, across from the mall with a Pep Boys - actually a Malaysian restaurant (and a darn good one, imo), but they have good sushi as well - btw, there's a good Korean restaurant in that mall as well, I believe the name is Keum Jo Heung.)
Ichiban (Route 27 and Parsonage Road, in the mall with a 7-11, across the street from the Rite-Aid next to JFK hospital)

Pete

Pete Knox
14th February 2004, 03:04
Thanks! That's two I haven't tried. I'm pretty sure the Shogun on Rt 27 is in Kendall Park too -- I've had some good stuff there as well.

Jeff Larsen
14th February 2004, 03:28
Hi, :D

I grew up in KP and never even tried Shogun so I couldn't help you out with a review. Kyoto, maybe 10 minutes more down Rt. 27, is good. But I heard they sold the restaurant and new owners are doing well.:D

Over here in PA, sushi is everywhere. I have 10 places within 5 minutes of house. Even a couple of good steak houses too.

I'll use your list when I'm over near Edison next time. I try to get to the Oriental Market on Rt. 27 by the old Tops store to stockpile goodies.

Jeff:D

chizikunbo
14th February 2004, 05:07
I love Sushi, there are tons of places around Kansas City to get it, so I am always trying new sushi bars, it is neet the response that this got.
My favorites are,
Spicy Tuna
Salmon Sushi
Reguards,

Pete Knox
14th February 2004, 16:40
Originally posted by Jeff Larsen
I'll use your list when I'm over near Edison next time. I try to get to the Oriental Market on Rt. 27 by the old Tops store to stockpile goodies.

Ah yes -- I know it well. If you get a chance, you should try Kamman on Rt 1 in Edison too. Very big. At one point they were claiming to be one of the largest Asian markets on the east coast.

SMJodo
16th February 2004, 14:24
It's amazing how Japanese cuising has exploded everywhere. I thought it was just here in Jacksonville because everything seems to be booming lately. I guess not.

Maybe this will get people off their fat butts and out of the drive thru line? Here's hoping.

On another note, I am kind of a hack/wannabe home chef. Although I haven't dabbled in quite a while, I'm going to get into my Nobu cookbook soon. If anyone wants to see some unique looking dishes with a Japanese flair - check it out. Nobu's restaurant is too expensive to actually eat in (New York and LA), so I want to give it a try at home.

chizikunbo
16th February 2004, 22:02
Originally posted by SMJodo

Maybe this will get people off their fat butts and out of the drive thru line? Here's hoping.

Mabey but doubtfull:laugh:

Tri-ring
21st February 2004, 06:09
Originally posted by SMJodo

Why not, sushi, tempura, and soba were considered the fast food of the edo period.:D
Similarity is quite interesting.
The tuna sushi roll "Tekka-maki" was a snack invented for those betting at gambling joints."Tekka-ba" means gambling joint while as sandwich was said to be invented (by earl sandwich) to eat a steak at a poker table.(or so I heard)

chizikunbo
23rd February 2004, 20:50
Man now I want some sushi, but dont have time too,(not fast food in kansas city) hehe

Jason Chambers
23rd February 2004, 21:37
Are Shogun and Ichiban a part of a franchise? We have a Shogun restaurant in New Orleans and an Ichiban right here in Baton Rouge.

I have been to Shogun and am quite pleased with the atmosphere and motif (you sit on the floor at your table). The food is excellent although a bit pricey. I haven't been to the Ichiban restaurant here yet. I am a diehard Kamado's fan.

I have also come to enjoy the "poor man's" sushi found at Alberton's. I know... what a sacralidge!!! Hey, it's actually pretty good. It is made fresh throughout the day.

Tri-ring
24th February 2004, 03:30
Originally posted by chizikunbo
Man now I want some sushi, but dont have time too,(not fast food in kansas city) hehe
In Japan sushi is probably the highest item in demand for food on delivery.
Why don't you go into the business?
Instead of Pizzahut why not Sushi-road.

chizikunbo
24th February 2004, 15:32
Originally posted by Tri-ring
In Japan sushi is probably the highest item in demand for food on delivery.
Why don't you go into the business?
Instead of Pizzahut why not Sushi-road.

Sounds good:D

P.S. Does anyone make sushi at home?

Jason Chambers
24th February 2004, 17:53
That is a great idea... too bad Kamado's has beaten us to the punch, at least here. They offer a delivery service.

chizikunbo
24th February 2004, 17:56
Originally posted by Jason Chambers
That is a great idea... too bad Kamado's has beaten us to the punch, at least here. They offer a delivery service.
No one in kansas city does might try it, but Id better find some sushi chefs

Tri-ring
25th February 2004, 00:36
Originally posted by chizikunbo
No one in kansas city does might try it, but Id better find some sushi chefs

Most of the sushi delivery places install a sushi robot like the machines shown in the link.
sushi robot 1 (http://www.fuji-seiki.co.jp/katarogu_ai.html)

sushi robot 2 (http://www.fuji-seiki.co.jp/katarogu_syaritama.htm)

Japanese don't go into the hassle of making the "Nigiri" sushi at home because it takes practices to get the rice balls right but we do have "Temaki" sushi on occasions (like your BBQ).
Cook the rice, add sushi vinegar (for three cups of uncooked rice;
150cc of rice vinegar, 2 and half table spoon of sugar and 1teaspoon of salt). Cool the rice by fanning as you add the vinegar evenly into the rice.
Get nori, cut the fish of your choice into slits the length of the nori.
Place some rice the size of a ping pong ball and spread it out evenly on the nori, a dab of wasabi and the fish slit diagonally to your nori and roll it gently and you have a "Temaki" of your own.
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/kiwaku/439655/419167/
Good luck!