PDA

View Full Version : Sword Prohibitions/Regulations during Edo Jidai

John Lindsey
23rd May 2000, 05:25
Source: The Sword and Same by Henri Joly 1913

1623- Tokugawa Iyetada prohibited commoners from wearing sword to avoid brawls (the tachi was called O Wakizashi at this time).

1640- Tokugawa Iyemitsu prohibited the attendants of Samurai from carrying tachi.

1670- Tokugawa Iyetsuna issued a regulation making the length of tachi 2’8”, and O Wakizashi 1’8”, and anyone carrying a longer sword was liable for punishment.

1683- Tokugawa Tsunayoshi reiterated the prohibition to common people to wear a long sword, but allowed them to carry a tanto; musicians and artists, even when of the Samurai class, were debarred from carrying a big sword.

1789- It was established that any sword exceeding 1’8” be termed Naga Wakizashi, and anyone carrying such a sword was liable to punishment. Later, the length was reduced to 1’5”.

1877- The Haitorei was issued prohibiting the wearing of all swords except for cases of military and police officials.

Tom Davidson
23rd May 2000, 11:15
With regard to point one, what about Hideyoshi's 'Sword Hunt' in 1588? As well as outlawing men from doing just what he had done i.e. peasant from becoming samurai, I thought this forbad commoners from wearing swords, or perhaps it was two swords?

Any enlightenment? Joe?

ps: Hey John - I bet the crash was a test of your Budo-nature? I've had it happen on a client site, but never to my baby! Methinks that when the pain has gone away a long post in the Members Lounge might have some cathartic value. Thanks for all your efforts - and I like the new colours.

Tom

Tom

Joseph Svinth
23rd May 2000, 22:24
In 1669, the Satsuma also ordered the only swordsmithy on Okinawa closed. As with the Tokugawa restrictions, it was part of the process of centralization intended to simplify government supervision. Of course the folks simply took to smuggling -- even today, most firearms enter Japan through Okinawa -- but that is a separate issue.

As for weapon bans, governments have always attempted to limit access to paramilitary and military weapons. Look at the bans on crossbows and wheellocks in Europe, or the Canadian bans on selling firearms to Indians. For my own part, I wouldn't be at all surprised to one day learn that the development of stick weapons was owed to people weaseling around Paleolithic prohibitions against non-governmental flintknapping.

John Lindsey
19th January 2003, 01:31
Someone requested that I bump this