PDA

View Full Version : Spread of weapon design throughout time...

Jason Chambers
7th February 2004, 14:23
Recently, I was viewing a documentary about the Civil War. It was mostly about old relics and weapons. One of the collectors had, in her possession, a weapon that was said to have been used by foot soldiers against the Cavalry.

It looked like a kyoketsu shoge mounted on a pole.

How do you think the concept made its way East to the soldiers in America? Was it a design unique to Japan? Did the design originate in Europe or elsewhere? Or did the concept of some weapons just simply “occur” to a people (culture) like the use of the stick? Look at the bow and arrow for example… Its use can be found in practically every culture known to man.

Curious.

Baio
8th February 2004, 00:18
the hooked spear that you saw is basically common in every culture and could serve a variety of purposes like being used parts of burning buildings you still see it in modern firehouses.

Jason Chambers
8th February 2004, 00:21
Yes, I know that; but isn't interesting that cultures that are, for the most part, totally different from one another share a common intellect when it comes to design of tools?

dopefish
8th February 2004, 04:06
Necessity is the mother of invention. Or so im told. They just go with what works. I think the hook was used to drag riders off when they got past the tip and to snare arms and such. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the shoge blade was originally a spear head converted for easier carrying.