PDA

View Full Version : Okinawan bo videos?

Jay Vail
8th February 2004, 11:28
Okay, nobody wants to talk about websites as being sources of info. That's probably a good thing.

But how about videos/CD? Does anyone know any good videos/CDs of Okinawan kubujutsu bo that are worth buying? I've seen several at various websources and Amazon. But I hold back, knowing how bad many videos are.

Rob Alvelais
8th February 2004, 15:24
I like Oshiro's bo video of Yamane Ryu on Tsunami productions.
Nishiuchi has a series out on Panther Video. I've not seen it, but it seems somewhat comprehensive.

Rob

chizikunbo
9th February 2004, 17:59
Fumio Demarus(sp) ar ok, they teach everything in the book

Mitch Saret
9th February 2004, 19:55
He has two in the original series from Panther...now owned by Century. And I think he did a second set where he cover's the bo again.

Shikiyanaka
11th February 2004, 11:14
The Oldtimer - Budô. The Art of Killing (Bad name, some good stuff) contains some footage maybe interesting with Hayashi Teruo, various Kobujutsu.

Cunning Fox - Matayoshi Shinpô: Traditional Okinawa Kobudô. Notice that in the Bôjutsu Bunkai parts of the Video (except the first one or two), Higaonna Morio is the partner of Matayoshi Shinpô. (I didn't notice first, but recognized only by his Kiai :o) ) Interestingly, I have heard that some of the moves have been adjusted by Matayoshi Shinpô - it is said, he didn't wanted to show all just like the producers wanted.

The Japanized? - Ryûkuyû Kobudô Vol. 1 (Bô and Sai) by Inoue. - Very structured - and also interesting. Shows an overview of all weapons, some history, some demonstration (can't get enough of it; it's so good!!! And it's Japanese!). Detailed Kamae-kata, Uke- and Seme-waza as well as 10 (or 15?) Yakusoku Kumite and beginners kata Shûji no kun.

Greetings from the Royal Court - Motobu Udundi by BAB has some - not very much - Bôjutsu.

Interdisciplinary - Also look for a video with Morihei Ueshiba using wooden Yari. I don't know the name of the video, but it is a very good training using wooden Yari against a kendô-dô fitted to a tree.