PDA

View Full Version : Western Regional Tournament of Swordsmanship

Tom Smyth
17th October 2000, 17:39
I just returned from attending the Western Regional Tournament of Swordsmanship sponsored by Ishi Yama Ryu and Sensei Russell McCartney. I would like to thank Sensei McCartney for his hospitality and all of the many, many fine people who helped to organize, run and compete at the event for a job well done. I met many fine people there who share the same desire to study and learn about the sword . It was nice to see multiple styles in one room competing together.

I would like to thank Tony Alvarez, Tim Wilmot, Andrew, Shaun, Clinton and all the others for keeping me on my toes and making my bust my butt in competition; Sandy ( the old guy) who at 70 + years of age was still kicking younger guys in the rear to work hard by beating them( what an inspiration) and all of his SeQuimm( sorry for the spelling) dojo comrades ( the beer was really good).

It was a great experience, although my knees are still killing me from the opening ceremony.( whine, whine I know).

Thanks again for a great experience!!

Tom Smyth
Orlando Toyama Ryu Batto-Jutsu

Tim Wilmot
17th October 2000, 19:33
Thank you and Congratulations

I wanted to thank everyone for attending the N.A.B.A. Western Region Tournament. I want thank all of the sponsors
who were supplied the prizes and their support to this event:

The Sword Armory
Last Legend Competition Blades
Bugei Trading Company
Stonehouse Supplies
Kim Taylor
Excalibur Cutlery and Gifts

All the judges who devoted their time and experience:

Walther Von Krenner Hanshi
Scott Irey Sensei
Hector Caroso Sensei
Robbie Pellet Sensei
Grand Master Allen Chen
Sifu Shawn Miller
Tony Alvarez

Rev. Koichi Barrish of Kannagara Jinjya for his time and
beautiful opening and closing ceremonies. Tom Saderquist for singing the National Anthem.

Sensei Russell McCartney for all his time, effort and dedication to making this event possible. Especially for helping me train for this event. Arigato Sensei.

All of my friends and fellow students at Iahi Yama Ryu, for all your hard work and dedication.

A special thanks to all the people who volunteered their time over the weekend to make this event enjoyable for all of us.

Congratulations to all the competeitiors and to winners of
each dividion who will be listed on the NABA web-site.

Personally I would like to thank Tony Alvarez, Shaun McMurray, Peter Palmer, Anthony Pope, Clinton Rassmussen,
Tom Smythe, Brian Tchernaga(sorry if I spelled that wrong Brian, but that 2 consonants at the front of your name messes me up). I had a great time competing with you guys and I really look forward to doing it again in future.
It was the best time in a competition I personally have had to date.

A special note to 2 people that recieved the Most Inspirational awards:

7 year Sierra Usselman and 70 or so(he won't say for sure)
Sandy Goldstein. I am adding you both to my hero list.

While the event was long, Everyone I talked with went away happy. We are already planning some changes that will streamline this event, while keeping with the NABA guidelines.
To anyone who missed this event, please check the NABA in the future for more events.
Thank you everyone for everything over the weekend. You're the best.

Tim Wilmot

Hector Carosso
19th October 2000, 18:50
I would like to congratulate Russell McCartney Sensei and the Ishi Yama Ryu for hosting a very successful Western Regional Tournament of Swordsmanship sanctioned by the North American Blademen Association. It was truly impressive watching swordsmen of completely different styles compete together in a manner I haven't experienced in 10 years of martial arts practice in Japan. I would like to highly commend each and every participant for the level of skill, discipline and dedication shown during the whole tournament. It was an honor and a pleasure for me to participate as one of the judges. Thank you for an excellent budo experience and Gambatte on future tournaments and events.

Hector Carosso
Takeda Ryu