PDA

View Full Version : An obomination!

kage110
12th February 2004, 13:36
I saw this on another forum (http://www.russianmartialart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183) and thought it was too funny not to share:

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that

Leviticus 18:22

clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual cleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them - Lev.24:10-16.

Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging,

An Avid Fan

Budoka 34
12th February 2004, 14:39
I am SO going to Hell!:eek:

:smilejapa

Shitoryu Dude
12th February 2004, 15:29
I had an interesting discussion with my company's version of the village idiot yesterday about the big "gay marriage" thing. He was so certain that "as a conservative" I'd be against it. Could have knocked him over with a feather when I told him I could not care less about homosexual marriage rights and if they wanted to get married they could just go ahead and do it. Heck, I think you should even be able to have multiple wives - it's none of my business what you are doing as long as you stay off welfare.

His whole argument against it was "scripture", but couldn't come up with any reason why his religious practices should be law in preference to anyone else's. Eventually he just collapsed like a house of cards.

:beer:

Cody
12th February 2004, 17:22
How about a hateful idiot who spend 30 years "researching" why homosexuality is the one and only unpardonable sin?

http://www.infidelguy.com/infidelguy.com_TimPhelps_GodHatesFags.mp3

Don't forget to check Tim's family story, addicted to hate (http://www.rslevinson.com/gaylesissues/features/collect/phelps/bl_phelpsmain.htm)

-Cody

dopefish
12th February 2004, 20:49
Great post, I needed a good laugh. :p

BudoGrrl
24th February 2004, 17:47
As a lesbian who is converting to Judaism (Reconstruction), I find this post to be very refreshing. I have copied and saved this and I'm going to print it out and hand it to the yahoos up here that support Article XII. ;)

Alex Schellinger

PS: I'm not the "loud" (we're here, we're queer, get used to it/) type. I just want to live a "normal" life with my Lifemate. Hard to do here in Cincinnati.

mushinronsha
24th February 2004, 18:46
Thanks for linking to my website (http://www.infidelguy.com). Yeah, that Tim Phelps character is just that. Unfortunately he is somewhat a very influential character.

Sorry about the mp3 link being dead. I only had it available for a few days to non Gold Members.

I love to hear about religious belief in Japan for any natives or those familiar with the culture and various beliefs. I think it would make a good program.

Thanks again, and this is a way cool site!

http://www.infidelguy.com/images/pictures/bornagain_titled.gif (http://www.infidelguy.com)

Gene Williams
24th February 2004, 19:04
Originally posted by kage110
I saw this on another forum (http://www.russianmartialart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183) and thought it was too funny not to share:

Hi, It is easy to poke clever fun at ancient texts while missing what lies beneath the surface. By the way, these ancient texts also forbid murder, stealing, and bearing false witness. Are we, then, to assume that these prohibitions should also be relativized and accepted into the mainstream as merely alternative lifestyles? If no, then why? And, where do you stop with the social and moral relativism? Is there any logic at all to your thinking?

larsen_huw
25th February 2004, 09:02
Originally posted by Gene Williams
Hi, It is easy to poke clever fun at ancient texts while missing what lies beneath the surface. By the way, these ancient texts also forbid murder, stealing, and bearing false witness. Are we, then, to assume that these prohibitions should also be relativized and accepted into the mainstream as merely alternative lifestyles? If no, then why? And, where do you stop with the social and moral relativism? Is there any logic at all to your thinking?

Gene,

Surely you're not saying we go back to following the letter of the bible?

Rogier
25th February 2004, 09:49

and here you show exactly what's wrong with being to serious about what the bible states. There are some many contradictions in that story book..

please don't come with a reply to defend the bible... turn the other cheek

Gene Williams
25th February 2004, 10:26
Originally posted by larsen_huw
Gene,

Surely you're not saying we go back to following the letter of the bible?

No, I am not. I am asking you a question about the logic of cultural and moral relativism. I am far from a Bible thumper, but I don't believe that many of those who embrace this "progressive" agenda can articulate a consistent philosophy underpinning it or really understand the dangers of it. What is your alternative? Let's hear it.

larsen_huw
25th February 2004, 12:49
No, I am not. I am asking you a question about the logic of cultural and moral relativism. I am far from a Bible thumper, but I don't believe that many of those who embrace this "progressive" agenda can articulate a consistent philosophy underpinning it or really understand the dangers of it. What is your alternative? Let's hear it.

My alternative?

Firstly I'd leave the bible alone. It's a collection of myths, fables and moral tales, some of which are still relevent, many of which are outdated, and trying to distinguish between the what's relevant and what isn't can be very difficult and controversial (current debate in Anglican Church on gay ministers for example).

I'd go back to some slightly old fashioned ideas of politeness, courtesy and common decency. They might not be particularly fashionable these days, but they work.

dopefish
25th February 2004, 18:34
I'm with Huw here. The morals of any good and true religion are quite simple. Follow the golden rule, and we will have no problems. Treat others as you wish to be treated. It's really that simple.

Daniel san
25th February 2004, 18:51
Leviticus is the list of rules for the rabbi to follow. Most people didn't have to follow them back then, but they did anyway to be allowed entrance to the temple. Funny letter though. Maybe I'll give that to some folks I know in Sunday school, they could use a paradigm shift. Hell, I might just preach a sermon on it.

Gene Williams
25th February 2004, 19:46
Politeness, common courtesy, and decency are vague middle class niceties. I am talking about a moral system here, you know, like the ones Plato, Aristotle, Acquinas, Kant, Mill, et.al. struggled to give us. They talked about things like duty:eek:, categorical imperatives, right vs. good, truth, and ethico/moral structures. The Bible also teaches a moral system, as do most religions. But, just leaving it at the philosophical...how 'bout something with a little more kick, guys? You all sound like Rodney King who, after endangering the lives of many and breaking numerous laws, just smiled and said, "Why can't we all just get along?" The one thing that Judaeo-Christian belief takes seriously, as a philosophical system, is the gap between good intention and actual behavior. Courtesy, decency???? One man's courtesy and decency is another's insult.

pgsmith
25th February 2004, 20:18
Gentlemen,
The header at the top of this particular forum says "Budo Fun". While I admit that some people's idea of fun varies, nowhere does it say this is a forum for religious debates. Please take this garbage to such a forum as it really has no place in this one.

Give us a break guys!

BudoGrrl
26th February 2004, 04:33
Originally posted by pgsmith
Gentlemen,
The header at the top of this particular forum says "Budo Fun". While I admit that some people's idea of fun varies, nowhere does it say this is a forum for religious debates. Please take this garbage to such a forum as it really has no place in this one.

Give us a break guys!

Here here! I second that motion.

Alex Schellinger

larsen_huw
26th February 2004, 08:54
Originally posted by BudoGrrl
Here here! I second that motion.

Alex Schellinger

Well i third and final the motion by starting a thread in the Members Lounge to carry this on! :)

Budo Fun is no place for religious debate, and i should of started a new thread to answer Gene in the first place.