PDA

View Full Version : ``The Last Samurai'' Debuts on a Two-Disc DVD & VHS May 4

John Lindsey
12th February 2004, 19:10
Academy Award Nominated ``The Last Samurai'' Debuts on a Two-Disc DVD & VHS May 4

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 12, 2004--Warner Home Video:

-- $360 Million Worldwide Box Office Epic Stars 2003 Golden Globe Nominee Tom Cruise, 2003 Oscar(R)-Nominee Ken Watanabe; From Acclaimed Director Edward Zwick

-- Two-Disc DVD Loaded with Special Features Including Director's Video Journal, Recount of a Warrior's Journey by Tom Cruise, Deleted Scenes, Director Commentary and More!

The critically acclaimed epic, "The Last Samurai," debuts May 4 on a double-disc DVD and on VHS from Warner Home Video. Nominated for four Academy Awards(R) (including Best Supporting Actor, Ken Watanabe) and three Golden Globe Awards (including Best Actor, Tom Cruise), "The Last Samurai" is a "masterpiece" ("Access Hollywood") from acclaimed director Edward Zwick ("Glory," "Legends of the Fall") and also stars Timothy Spall ("Nicolas Nickelby"), Billy Connolly ("White Oleander") and Tony Goldwyn ("An American Rhapsody").

The two-disc DVD makes history with spectacular bonus features such as a director's video journal, a History Channel documentary, a making-of-an-epic featurette with Edward Zwick and Tom Cruise, a tour of the sets and inside look at production design, costuming and weapons, additional scenes and more.

"The Last Samurai" will be available at $29.95 SRP on a two-disc DVD in both widescreen and full frame formats. VHS will be priced for rental.

The DVD is loaded with breathtaking bonus features:

Disc One

-- Theatrical Film.

-- Commentary by Edward Zwick.

Disc Two

-- Tom Cruise: A Warrior's Journey.

-- Edward Zwick: Director's Video Journal.

-- Making an Epic: A Conversation with Edward Zwick and Tom Cruise.

-- History vs. Hollywood: "The Last Samurai" (History Channel Documentary).

-- A World of Detail: Production Design with Lilly Kilvert.

-- Silk and Armor: Costume Design with Ngila Dickson.

-- Imperial Army Basic Training.

-- From Soldier to Samurai: The Weapons.

-- Deleted Scenes.

-- Japan Premieres (Tokyo & Kyoto red carpet).

-- Theatrical Trailer.

Set in Japan during the 1870s, "The Last Samurai" tells the story of Captain Nathan Algren (Tom Cruise), a respected American military officer hired by the Emperor of Japan to train the country's first army in the art of modern warfare. As the Emperor attempts to eradicate the ancient Imperial Samurai warriors in preparation for more Westernized and trade-friendly government policies, Algren finds himself unexpectedly impressed and influenced by his encounters with the Samurai, which places him at the center of a struggle between two eras and two worlds, with only his own sense of honor to guide him.

chizikunbo
12th February 2004, 20:04
yes, cant wait, great movie!

SMJodo
20th February 2004, 18:32
Man, I'm disappointed. I thought it was going to be in April. It's not in the theaters anymore, so I thought it might be a little sooner. I can't wait.