PDA

View Full Version : Book: "Living the Martial Way", by Forrest Morgan

Bradenn
16th February 2004, 12:31
One of my favourite martial arts books for the past decade has been Living the Martial Way by Forrest Morgan. I've always been impressed by the author's views on things like fitness, training intensity, shugyo, self-conduct as well as the explanations for the so called "warrior's spell book".

I read the book again last week and noticed (for the first time strangely enough) that the book cites Frederick Lovret in one or two places. It also refers to the author's attending an impressive and awe-inspiring demonstration of Yamate Ryu Aikijujutsu.

While I still do enjoy this book a great deal, I am now starting to wonder about the accuracy of some of its content. Specifically the definitions of and ways of training kiai and aiki. I am not a student of aikido or aikijujutsu, but I always liked the definition Mr Morgan provided for aiki (the art of defeating your opponent with a single glance) which is supposedly taken from Sokaku Takeda. I believe you can apply this to any martial art.

Does anyone have any further knowledge of what links (if any) there are between Mr Morgan and Lovret.

Like I mentioned earlier, it will not stop me enjoying and learning from his book, but I must admit there is a little element of disappointment.

Thanks
Braden

Gene Williams
16th February 2004, 13:36
"Links with Lovret." Sounds like a TV show...or a golf tour:D

Nathan Scott
17th February 2004, 02:20
Mr. Nicols,

Don't have any insight for you, but the "destroying the enemy with a glance" thing was a quote printed in one of Donn Draeger's Budo & Bujutsu trilogy. It has now been made most famous (unfortunately) by Ron Duncan in one of his "Ai-eeki" videos.

As far as Lovret and Yamate-ryu, do a search in this AJJ forum for more info. There should be two main threads that are worth reading.

Regards,