PDA

View Full Version : Kanji for tattoo's

unagi
17th February 2004, 00:46
Looking for some information on kanji for a tattoo. My knowledge of japanese language is nil and none and nil just left town. Anyway the characters would be for shadow crow or kagekarasu is how I understand it would be. I would like to know how it would be spelt out? And if it has any bad connections. I don't want to piss groups that use it or what not. Thanks for the info.

andy cadotte

MikeWilliams
17th February 2004, 10:44
If you do a search, there was a thread a couple of months ago about kanji & tattoos.

Personally I'm not a fan of kanji tattoos. I just can't see why you would want the kanji if you have no knowledge of Japanese. But hopefully one of the linguists here will be able to help you aout.

If you want a Japanese tattoo, why not get a proper Japanese tattoo? They're very beautiful. Just make sure you choose your artist wisely (and be aware of the cultural stigma attached to them in Japan).

Brian Owens
17th February 2004, 12:17
Originally posted by unagi
...Anyway the characters would be for shadow crow or kagekarasu is how I understand it would be. I would like to know how it would be spelt out? And if it has any bad connections. I don't want to piss groups that use it or what not...
I looked in a Japanese dictionary, and didn't find the word "kagegarasu." However it's possible to "create" the word from the kanji for shadow and crow.

"Kage" has the following meanings, depending on how and with what other words it is used: the Yin principle, negative; shadow, hidden, back, dark, secret; sex organs; indebtedness, favor; Hades; darken, cloud up, be obscured.

"Karasu" ("-garasu" in a compound word) of course means crow or raven.

Below I posted the kanji for "kagegarasu" in several different styles.

Please note that I don't speak Japanese, really, so I don't know if these characters when written together have any true meaning. If you're going to permenantly attach them to your body, that could be "a bad thing." I recommend that you investigate thoroughly.

unagi
17th February 2004, 13:44
That is exactly what I was looking for thank you both. I am aware that tattoo's in japan are mainly worn by yakuza(sp) correct. I have been looking at some "proper Japanese tattoo"s and yes they are quite beautiful the designs are just about the best I have seen. well thanks for the info.

andy cadotte