PDA

View Full Version : Hip Vibration

Neuro
17th February 2004, 19:09
I read that Hiroo Mochizuki, present head of Yoseikan Budo, went thorugh some tests in the University of Paris, demonstrating an increase of 50-75% in power when using HIP VIBRATION.

He mentions that this is different from HIP ROTATION and according to an Aikido Journal (a serious publication that even recognizes the ambiguous value of Aikido as a single method of self-defense) article, Hiroo Sensei, being himself a doctor, demonstrated and explained what many chinese martial arts have always advocated but were not able to explain.

I am not familiar with this, but I'm very interested.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks,
Alexandre "Neuro" Wyllie

Old Dragon
21st February 2004, 01:33
Recently I met a man who taught "TE" he said his teacher taught Shuri Te and naha te......... he had no lineage on his teacher..

His premis was internal power with no hip movement. His basic body mechanics were to bring the power from Tanden, sanchin abdominal breathing.

I stated in another post on another thread that he put a thick telephone book on my chest and with no wind up hit me..... it drove through me like a knive.... it didnt dissapate and get absorbed by my body.... even though I was ready for it.. it went straight to my spine in a thin straight line... I had never been hit like that before...

I wonder if this is similar to what you are talkin about.

Mike O'leary

Phil Farmer
4th April 2004, 23:08
I am a student of Master Hiroo Mochizuki and am familiar with this concept. He did indeed do some tests in France and it was found that he could generate much more power using this principle. It has been called a hip vibration, wave and undulation.

It is a wave in the same way sound travels in a wave. My favorite way to describe what is happening is to ask people if they were ever popped with a wet towel in the dressing room. If you do not pull back slightly at the end of the movement, no pop not pain. If, however, you pull back slightly just at the end, lots of pop and lots of pain. This is done, with a punch, by pulling back slightly with the hip while the fist is still traveling forward. It serves to accelerate and focus the energy.

I have been hit by Master Hiroo and his son, Mitchi Mochizuki, from only a few inches away while I was holding two judo gi folded together and used as a pad. It was like being hit with the end of an iron pipe and it left a mark, through the two gi. I have learned this movement and my punches are much faster and more powerful with less effort.

This wave movement is not limited to punches, but also goes with kicks, sword cuts, and even various throws. Try this principle if you ever do a shoulder throw (seoi nage) and you will find the throw is very easy.

Sorry for being so late to this thread, I was only informed about it a few days ago.

Dr Phil Farmer
Yoseikan Budo

satsukikorin
6th April 2004, 06:44
Dr Farmer,

Is there a difference in application (or applicability, as the case may be) of the vibration technique for a front punch (or junzuki, or jab) versus a reverse punch?

Mekugi
6th April 2004, 09:03
Originally posted by Phil Farmer
It is a wave in the same way sound travels in a wave. My favorite way to describe what is happening is to ask people if they were ever popped with a wet towel in the dressing room. If you do not pull back slightly at the end of the movement, no pop not pain. If, however, you pull back slightly just at the end, lots of pop and lots of pain. This is done, with a punch, by pulling back slightly with the hip while the fist is still traveling forward. It serves to accelerate and focus the energy.
Dr Phil Farmer
Yoseikan Budo

Does anyone have these studies to look at?
IMHO the physical principles behind a snapped towel and the hips are a little vague (something I heard about Linear and angular momentia one time). I mean, I understand the analogue you are using in this case and it is probably a good one, however myself being extremely stupid, I need to see something grounded in a study.
:)

-Russ

Mekugi
6th April 2004, 09:18
(oops---wrong button) <deleted>

Phil Farmer
7th April 2004, 02:24
I am looking to see if there is a video example of this movement. I am not sure there is but I will post it as soon as I find one.

There are two ways to make this motion occur. the first is the wave, where you move your hip toward the target and then pull back with the hip, slightly, at the last moment, while you allow your punch to continue. The reverse wave means that your hip is moving away from the target as your punch is traveling toward it. I know that the movement is hard to understand in words. My suggestion is to try it and you will find the right timing. My one caution is that your arm, leg, your body must be loose and the joints must be relaxed. If you get the move right and are tight in muscles or joints, you do risk injury.

Hope this helps.

Phil Farmer