PDA

View Full Version : Enthusiastic student inflates Instructors credentials?

Tripitaka of AA
18th February 2004, 13:51
From the rather odd Martial Arts News site here (http://www.martialartsnews.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=6)

International Bujutsu Association Appointment

phil writes "The Yamaue Aiki Jutsu Association and the International Bujutsu Association are prided to Appointment of Phil Blackburn Sensei as their Official United Kingdom Reprehensive and Coordinator.

The appointment made by J yamaue Soke 10th Dan, founder of Yamaue Aiki Jutsu and the International Bujutsu Association, Soke Yamaue who is rated within the top 3 in the world in his field of martial arts.
Soke Yamaue teaches his very own style called Yamaue Aiki Jitsu, which is related to Takeda Aiki Bu Jitsu- Daito Ryu Aiki Jitsu. He holds many grand master titles in various martial arts ranging from Karate, Ju Jitsu, Kobudo and Aiki Jitsu, Soke is a Shaolin Priest and Kung Fu Master. He is also a Master of Shorinji Kempo (a Japanese style of Shaolin Kung Fu), and many other kinds of Chinese Kung Fu.
The International Bujutsu Association is a martial arts multi style group, helping to support style like Ju Jitsu Karate, Shorinji Kempo Kung Fu, and Aiki Jutsu.

For more details visit:
www.yamaueaikijutsuuk.supanet.com
e-mail: yamaueaikijutsuuk@supanet.com or jujitsuscotland@supanet.com

Anders Pettersson
20th February 2004, 15:49
Gassho.

I have actually met Mr. Yamaue and talked to him. He is a nice guy, and if i remember correctly I think he was 4 dan in Shorinjikempo as a University student. (I have tried to confirm his rank with Hombu but no luck.)

One of his "arts", North Shaolin Kung-fu as he calls it, is from what I have seen from some web pages (online video etc.) like 80-90 % Shorinjikempo. They even use Tenchiken and Giwaken etc.

If I compare a demo I've seen him do with some of the senior instructors I have met in Shorinjikempo, "our" instructors are more impressive.

/Anders

Tripitaka of AA
20th February 2004, 16:17
Thanks Anders. A subtle post, very much in keeping with the recent comments from others about "seeing what's good, ignoring what's bad" whenever possible.

luar
20th February 2004, 21:53
In a somewhat related side-note

I just learned of this style called Shorin Ji Kempo (http://www.scnetsolutions.net/shorinji/information.php). At least they have the good taste to say they are not affiliated with us.

Kimpatsu
3rd March 2004, 01:55
Originally posted by luar
In a somewhat related side-note

I just learned of this style called Shorin Ji Kempo (http://www.scnetsolutions.net/shorinji/information.php). At least they have the good taste to say they are not affiliated with us.
Gassho.
Raul-san, parsing the name as Shorin Ji as opposed to Shorinji makes no difference in my opinion. They are still in violation of copyright regarding the name Shorinji Kempo. Can anybody more clued up on the law offer their opinion? I can offer the linguistic opinion that, in Romanised Japanese, Shorinji, Sorin Ji and Shorin-Ji are all the same, as there is no difference in the way the Japanese is written: ?_—ÑŽ›. And they are using "kempo" as well, so their disclaimer that they are unaffiliated to us is meaningless. They are still using our name.
Any other opinions?
Kesshu.

luar
3rd March 2004, 13:40
Actually for the sake of accuracy they are known as the SHORIN JI KEMPO SOGO BUDO MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION.

Kimpatsu
3rd March 2004, 14:28
Originally posted by luar
Actually for the sake of accuracy they are known as the SHORIN JI KEMPO SOGO BUDO MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION.
But doesn't that still mean that they are infringing our copyright as SHORINJI KEMPO?
Please, don't guess; let's get a lawyer in on this.
Kesshu.