PDA

View Full Version : Question about a sensei

Joshua Crison
18th October 2000, 14:40
Does anyone know were I can research a sensei`s backround, or does anyone know Yoshiwaka sensei? I realy can not ask him about is past since my Japanese is really bad, but Id like to know his history...

Thanks in Advance

Steve Williams
18th October 2000, 17:10
Hi Joshua

Sorry dont know the name, but if you want to e-mail me then I will try to find out any details from my Japanese friends. (Let me have as many details as possible, i.e. full name, dojo, grade, etc....)

Gary Dolce
18th October 2000, 18:19
Joshua,

If you really want to know about his background, I would encourage you to follow the most direct route of asking him yourself. Don't let the language barrier stop you - I assume one of the reasons you are in Japan is to learn Japanese. Is there another Kenshi in the group who speaks some English who could help you?

Talking to other people, you might find out some very basic stuff like rank and how long he has practiced. If you ask respectfully, you may get far more interesting information from him - like why he started, early experiences, etc.

On the other hand, asking a lot of questions behind his back may seem a bit rude.

Steve Williams
18th October 2000, 18:38
The thing to ask is "Why do you want to know?".
If it is just idle curiosity then as Gary said, it is far more polite to just ask, you will find that Shorinji Kempo instructors are very approachable.
If you have other reasons that you need to address about this sensei then perhaps approaching the senior kenshi in the dojo is an option.

Best Wishes

Anders Pettersson
18th October 2000, 19:47
Gassho.

Hi Joshua.

I think tha Steve and Gary have given you some good advice in this matter. Just ask your sensei directly, that is the most polite way.

But as Steve says; <B>Why</B> do you want to know about his background?
(I guess there could be several reasons, both good and bad.)

Anders
<A href="htttp://www.shorinji-kempo.org">www.shorinji-kempo.org </A>

Joshua Crison
19th October 2000, 14:15
Sorry I did not mean to sound so offbeat. I actually have talked to him alittle. I know how long he has been practicing 40yrs and that he holds kyu dan. I just wanted to know abit about were and with whom he studied, for it seams everyone who studies with him knows everything about him, but I am the only one there that speaks english beyond ``Hand up`` ``OK`` ``Ouch`` I really dont need to know anything, just interested. Ill just find out when the time comes, after I understand more of this language.

Thanks

Joshua Crison
19th October 2000, 14:37
And I found out his assistant yamamoto-san is roko dan and has been practicing syorinji kempo for 30 years.