PDA

View Full Version : "Deadly Arts" on National Georaphic Channel (BSKYB)

PeteBoyes
25th February 2004, 13:45
A new series is about to start on Fridays on the BSKYB National Geographic Channel : http://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/watch/DeadlyArts_highlights.asp

In her unique journey inside the world of the martial arts, Josette D. Normandeau tries to understand more about the traditions, the etiquette, and the spirituality, that are deeply connected to the marital arts. By visiting countries to meet the masters of these martial arts and training with them, Josette demonstrates how difficult is to be a proficient martial artist and, even harder, to become a master.
Arts included: Muay Thai, Capoeira, Karate, La Savate, Kalaripayattu, and Aikido.

Geoff
25th February 2004, 18:55
Is there a way to get this in the US? Seems much better than XMA....

Geoff Wingard

Gimbo
10th August 2004, 20:01
Those shows have been on the history channel for quite a while now. The one on okinawa karate was pretty good. She went around and trained with varios people in okinawa and it was fun to see. It was the best martial arts show I have ever seen, none of that american hype.
I should add that this is a canadian production and the women Josette is a french canadian. I have seen the shows on karate, aikido, and capoeira. They were all pretty good.
http://www.historytelevision.ca/archives/ look under asian history.\

John Bellamy

MikeWilliams
10th August 2004, 22:56
These have been on before - and are actually very good. The programmes are equal parts travelogue, cultural exchange and training diary.

The presenter seems to have a genuine love for what she does, and martial arts in general. She is a little superficial at times - but that's excuseable, given the format.

It's a world away from dross like that BBC3 show.

National Geographic also periodically air a documentary about Muay Thai training in Thailand which is excellent (although I forget the name). It proves good MA and TV can co-exist.

poryu
11th August 2004, 07:27
HI

I think I have seen all of the shows now. The aikido one was the best by far.

she wanted to become an Uchi Deshi at the Iwama Ryu Hombu which was cool ash I think her main art is aikido.

they made out she drop ettiquette after ettiquette, nnot getting the right size bottle of sake to brown nose sensei etc. LOL

The only thing i htink she did wrong was give Saito sensei a gift of her terrible attempt at kanji. Other than that the whole series has been interesting.

much better by far than the crap that was on BBC3 this week

Moriki
11th August 2004, 08:05
Originally posted by poryu

much better by far than the crap that was on BBC3 this week

Hi Paul,
What do you mean! I`m now taking up the 'IRON PENIS' training that was on the program :laugh:

yours

poryu
11th August 2004, 08:21
Originally posted by Moriki
Hi Paul,
What do you mean! I`m now taking up the 'IRON PENIS' training that was on the program :laugh:

yours

Yeah I know your wife told me she is insisting you take it up - maggot

charlesl
13th November 2005, 18:36
Channel surfing, I found "Deadly Arts" on FitTV (I've got digital cable, might have to have that, don't know).

I guess I'm just backwards, I thought the aikido one sucked eggs the worst, while the karate one was the best. Haven't seen the savate one yet.

-Charles