PDA

View Full Version : origin of Suriage waza

Goon Jhuen Weng
25th February 2004, 13:24
Hi everyone,I've been practising Suriage waza for a little while now in my Kendo dojo and I'm quite curious as to its origin. Could anyone out there tell me which ryu was this waza (I got this vague feeling that its from Itto ryu...) taken from and how it found its way into modern Kendo and into the Kendo kata as well? Can anyone also give me their personal opinions on its effectiveness as well? Thanks!!

Weng :)

gendzwil
25th February 2004, 13:52
I suspect many schools have it in the curriculum - it's just a sliding parry, a logical consequence of defending an attack while counter-attacking. It works very well in practice, although it does require nice timing.

Shingh Sakata
25th February 2004, 17:28
I have never seen kendo kata before.
so I'm not sure both Suriage are the same.
and I'm not sure origin of suriage.I think suriage is generally technic more before estabulish itto ryu.
I don't think suriage is effective in modern kendo.
because
sinai does not has sori and sinogi.
and
kamae has to be old style seigan.that's not chudan in kendo.

gendzwil
25th February 2004, 18:42
Actually suriage is a little easier with shinai or bokken than sword because of the width of them, which acts like a really big shinogi. If you do the kendo kata with iaito, you need to make an adjustment to account for the narrower blade of the sword.

I don't understand why using seigan or chudan makes much of a difference to the technique. Even if it did, many kendoka fight from seigan.