Kawakami Gensai
26th February 2004, 00:00
Does anyone study this art?

Shorinman
26th February 2004, 01:44
I do:)

Blackwood
26th February 2004, 02:10
Yep. For the last 50 months. But who's counting?

And I studied Isshinryu for a year and a half about a decade ago.

Timothy.G.B.
26th February 2004, 18:10
Yes.

Tim Black

Kawakami Gensai
26th February 2004, 20:47
I've been in Okinawan Shorinryu for a little over four years also. What rank are you however? I'm a brown-belt third kyu.

Kawakami Gensai
26th February 2004, 20:49
Oh and sorry for the excessive posting, but I mean everyone who studies Okinawan Shorinryu - how long have you studied and what rank are you? :( sorry for the mishap

Timothy.G.B.
26th February 2004, 21:04
I have been learning Okinawan Shorin Ryu since 1997, after training in Japanese karate for approximately 10 years, and have received the rank of 3rd Dan.

Tim Black

:)

Jussi Häkkinen
26th February 2004, 21:34
What school of Okinawan Shorin-Ryu are you interested about?

Iron Chef
26th February 2004, 22:51
Originally posted by Kawakami Gensai
I've been in Okinawan Shorinryu for a little over four years also. What rank are you however? I'm a brown-belt third kyu.

Yes but what's your name?

Blackwood
27th February 2004, 11:33
Shido kan Shorin Ryu - 1st Kyu

Nyuck3X
28th February 2004, 00:52
Chibana-ha Shorin-ryu through Miyahira.
We're not ShidoKan but Gonzalez Sensei was
8th dan before his death.
I'm Yudansha and have been with my current teacher since 1986.
I've also dabbled in Matsubayashi for a couple years.

RobertW
28th February 2004, 23:33
Kobayashi Branch 5 years after coming in from 12 years of Shotokan. Big change.
3 Dan Shorin ryu

ShorinKan31900
2nd March 2004, 00:25
I study Shorin-Ryu Shorin-Kan, our grandmaster is Shugoro Nakazato of Naha, Okinawa. I am a nidan, and will be going for my yudansha in kobudo soon. I am very new to this site, so far it's pretty interesting. I am looking forward to meeting some fellow budoka.

tallpaul50
23rd July 2004, 15:35
I've been studying Shorinryu since January of 1975. Maybe one of these days I'll actually figure out what I'm doing! :D

Hank Irwin
23rd July 2004, 22:34
Shorinji & Shorinryu since 73' jodan omite!:D

Bahala Na
24th July 2004, 00:17
15 years of Shorin experience. Started in Shorinkan in the 1980s, did some Matsubayashi in the late 90s (sorry, but "yuck") and Matsumura Seito for about 5 years (1999-present). Love it, it works for my purposes and I'll stick with it forever. Currently ranked Nidan.

Maddog Mitchell
24th July 2004, 02:28
Hey Brandon,

What Instructor do you study Matsumura under? I just came back from a seminar with Fusei Kise at 70 yrs old he was in pretty good shape and moved well.

Mike

Bahala Na
25th July 2004, 07:07
Originally posted by Maddog Mitchell
Hey Brandon,

What Instructor do you study Matsumura under? I just came back from a seminar with Fusei Kise at 70 yrs old he was in pretty good shape and moved well.

Mike

I wouldn't doubt it! I have heard a lot of cool stories about Kise's fighting prowess. I bet he can still handle himself really well. Actually my sensei was a senior student of Kise's and was once the president of Fusei Kise's Kenshikan Organization. They had a "disagreement" and went their separate ways several years back.

Yeah his name is Ron Lindsey, and he can kick some arse too. Is Kise teaching the real Seito nowadays? :)

Regards,

Maddog Mitchell
25th July 2004, 13:15
Brandon,

I could care less about the Politics of an organization. I heard Ron Lindsey is a good Karateka and teacher case closed. Kise is still in excellent shape and moves VERY well for his age. He used me as his Uke for the two day event and I'm not a member of his group.

I found him to be a very nice man approachable and likeable.

As for some of the techniques well of course they're done from a static position I'm not moving in for the kill, however I picked up a few points.

Take care,

Mike

Bahala Na
27th July 2004, 01:38
Originally posted by Maddog Mitchell
Brandon,

I could care less about the Politics of an organization. I heard Ron Lindsey is a good Karateka and teacher case closed. Kise is still in excellent shape and moves VERY well for his age. He used me as his Uke for the two day event and I'm not a member of his group.

I found him to be a very nice man approachable and likeable.

As for some of the techniques well of course they're done from a static position I'm not moving in for the kill, however I picked up a few points.

Take care,

Mike

Thanks Mike. That is so cool. Where was this seminar at? What style(s) do you train in? Well, if you were Kise's uke you're probably hella sore, hahaha! Good luck, have a great week and fun training!

Blackwood
27th July 2004, 01:48
Here's a Shorin Ryu seminar I just got back from. Excellant time was had by all and there were TWO 10th Dans there, Iha Sensei and Taba Sensei.

NTS 2004 (http://home.comcast.net/~aggie80/NTS2003/NTS2004.htm)

Blackwood
27th July 2004, 13:47
Man! This is really slow! I can't believe that this hasn't even had a view since I posted it a couple days ago!

Where have all the Shorin-Ryu folks gone?

tallpaul50
27th July 2004, 14:46
I've never had the opportunity to train with Sensei Kise before, but have talked to Sense's Lindsey, Ohl and Knoblett about him. As I understand it, didn't he make great and drastic changes to the Shorinryu system when he founded the Kenshinkan system? Added a lot of "flash" to it?

I had the opportunity to work with the late Sensei Kuda Yuichi twice. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!!! The first time was on his first visit to the USA back in June of 1978 at the invitation of Sensei Dennis (Denny) Miller in Havre, Montana. Sensei Kuda was there for 3 weeks, and it was fantastic! There are a few of my pictures from that visit on a website if you'd like to check them out. I'm the tall, geeky and skinny guy in the pictures at the bottom.

http://www.geocities.com/rohai.geo/page.html

The 2nd time I had the opportunity to work with sensei Kuda was in Seattle in 1990. Sensei Kuda actually remembered me, which again, impressed the heck out of me!

He is missed by those that new him as a gentle, kind and patient master of the arts. :(

Loukopoulos
26th September 2004, 21:58
I practice Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu Karate since 1969.

Shikiyanaka
29th September 2004, 10:58
Dear Katherine,

hope you are fine. :)

I was wondering about one thing and would like to ask you about it.

I understood weapons are part of Matsubayashi Shôrin-ryû curriculum. In Matsubayashi-ryû Honbu you told me was a weapons expert named Kyan Shin'yei who taught Bô-kata Hakushô no Kun (among others).

Now I have read that he was a student of Ôshiro Chôjô (among others), a fact from which was derived that he was "Yamani-style." So do you think it would be appropriate to say that Kyan Shin'yei's Kobudô was "Yamani-based", and if yes, Bô-kata Hakushô no Kun is Yamani-based?

Loukopoulos
29th September 2004, 18:18
Dear Andreas,

If you look at my notes in the German version of Introduction to Ryu Kyu Kobudo (page 151), it took 10 years just to get additional information on the name of the Kata. I would not venture to speculate simply because what comes out of my mouth travels faster than the speed of light and reaches the ears of Okinawa teachers, friends of teachers, sempai, kohai and relatives of all of the above. You can imagine the implecation for me on my next visit.
Therefore, I would wait, and on my next visit if a moment of opportunity avails itself, and if the wind is blowing in the correct direction, and if everyone present is in the right mood, and if the right persons are there eager to tell 'stories', then, and only then, I may pose such a question.
Okinawa's perspective and gut belief is to train-train-train. Questions are left for the scholarly type... which I very much want to be...
In my first dojo studying eleven years with Heshiki Zenko sensei, and his own sempai Ueshiro Ansei sensei, both executed Haku Sho No Kun. It was simply addressed as 'Bo Kata' and as a school it was the only Bo Kata practiced. And there was only one sai kata, one tunfa kata and one nunchaku kata. It was not until I went to live on Okinawa that Nagamine Shoshin sensei offered the Kata's name and teacher (Haku Sho No Kun by Kyan Shin Yei). Ten years later, another sempai Shiroma Katsuo Sensei who studied with Akamine Eisuke sensei offered the name Shiro Matsu No Kun for the same Bo Kata. Shiroma Katsuo sensei is also a senior Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu practitioner. Under the tutelage of Heshiki Zenko we learned one karate kata each year. Matsubayshi Shorin Ryu has 18 kata... 18 years is not that long... Naihanchi Shodan (Naifanchi) was practiced for three years before we 'advanced' to Naihanchi Nidan... and so on.

So, because my relationship with Okinawa and Okinawans is for the long haul I will not speculate but evenutally learn when the time is right. Can you wait that long?

Shikiyanaka
29th September 2004, 22:01
Dear Katherine,

thank you for the explanation. Will I ever learn???

Can you wait that long?

Depends on wether you kill me before or after you get the information ;) If you tell me you kill me before, well I can't wait (??? what a logic ???)

No, just kidding. Of course I will take the opportunity and teach myself patience.

Good night... (was a long day)

Ed Gingras
2nd October 2004, 00:57
I have been practicing Shorin-ryu Matsumura Seito on Okinawa since 1971.

Edward Gingras