PDA

View Full Version : Looking to practice a form of Sword Technique. Need help.

SuPaStaR
20th October 2000, 08:03
I don't even know where to begin with research :). I know a lot about the different types of Unarmed-Combat Martial Arts, such as Karate, Kung Fu etc., but I haven't really found much on Sword Practicing; maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Anyways, it's what I want to do, so I'm going to do it. However, I could use some help on the different styles, as well as which ones are considered to use the most advanced techniques. I won't ask that unanswerable question, "Which style is the best?" I find it can be pointless ask, as well as offensive, so please just give me your opinions on styles.

I really appreciate your help, and any links to sites would be extremely helpful, being that I stumbled onto this page by sheer accident :). I'm sure there is information on THIS site pertaining to what I want, but I'm not very good at navigating it yet :(.

Thank you.

JR.

socho
21st October 2000, 02:38
Hi JR,
First, in the future please sign with your full name, it's a rule here. Second, a better question might be what is available in your area? If you do an online search for MJER, iaido, kendo, kenjutsu, or batto-do, you should get several hits that might narrow done your options. Are you loooking for a sport or an 'art' (not mutually exclusive)? Something fast and dynamic or focused and meditative? The sword can give you all those options and more.
Good luck in your search,

SuPaStaR
22nd October 2000, 03:02
Thanks, and I'm sorry for the breech of rules.
JR. Kimble
Originally posted by socho
Hi JR,
First, in the future please sign with your full name, it's a rule here. Second, a better question might be what is available in your area? If you do an online search for MJER, iaido, kendo, kenjutsu, or batto-do, you should get several hits that might narrow done your options. Are you loooking for a sport or an 'art' (not mutually exclusive)? Something fast and dynamic or focused and meditative? The sword can give you all those options and more.
Good luck in your search,