PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you go hmmm!

Andy Watson
3rd March 2004, 15:00
This forum is stagnating again in comparison to the choppy boys over in the curly-bat sword section.

What we need is an exclusive invitation to discuss stuff. I nominate a thread about what techniques of jodo/jutsu send a shiver down the spine when you get it just right.

My starter(s) for 10...

1. When I time Monomi (seitei version) just right so the jo catches the wrists of the swordsman when they are still above his face and thus avoid a clunk at the bottom.
2. The end of Midaredome - throw them off with a tai atari, they come back with a seigan kamae and you are just waiting to sweep them off with a hiki otoshi.

Sad little me is now just off for a cold shower. Anyone want to submit their own and join me...?

;)

Kenji Fujiwara
3rd March 2004, 23:30
Originally posted by Andy Watson
1. When I time Monomi (seitei version) just right so the jo catches the wrists of the swordsman when they are still above his face and thus avoid a clunk at the bottom.

HHMMMMMM -- why are you targeting the hands?

Andy Watson
4th March 2004, 07:07
Because in the seitei version, this is a kote strike with a feeling to attack the face.

Kenji Fujiwara
4th March 2004, 08:45
they come back with a seigan kamae

HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM -- that's an interesting interpretation.

SMJodo
4th March 2004, 12:36
Yea, I dig the end of Midare Dome as well. A good Ranai is enough to get you pumped because of how long it is - it's a rush when you and your partner just nail it.

Kage Monomi is nice to when you can match the speed of your partner on the first strike and then slow it down for the stepping part before the big tsuki at the end.

SMJodo
4th March 2004, 12:48
It appears that the seitei version is a little different than the ZNKR I practice. I was a little baffled about the hands above the face in Monomi as well.

Kenji Fujiwara
6th March 2004, 02:06

HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ............. try timing the strike so that the jo crosses the center line when the sword is coming down but before it reaches head height

Jonathon Sumner
6th March 2004, 19:35
What I find most satisfying and rewarding is when I nail a technique repeatedly or successfully eliminate a bad habit that has been plaguing me. What is really neat is how the techniques feel in execution when they are performed correctly. One can muscle through them and get the job done, even when they are not executed 100% correctly. The feeling of doing it right and effortlessly is one of the best feelings there are. When you do it three or four times in a row… that’s what I live for!

Andy Watson
8th March 2004, 10:03
Kenji

Are you going to contribute to the post or are you going to try and teach me jodo online?

Hmmm?

Kenji Fujiwara
8th March 2004, 13:47
Mr. Watson,

You're a sensitive bugger, aren't you? Wouldn't want to teach you in any event.

Back to HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM -- there's a british fellow who published a book on seitie jo; Michael something. After I read it, I said HHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, what a piece of worhtless $hit.

Regards,

Andy Watson
8th March 2004, 13:56
Ken

I'm not being oversensitive, it's just that you have immediately gone off-topic with your postings. Some actual contribution would be appreciated.

Diane Skoss
8th March 2004, 15:32
Hi all,

While I appreciate the efforts to enliven the forum, the plain and simple fact is that any koryu is about physical training with a qualified teacher. You attempt to do what your teacher tells you to do, and you make every effort for that atttempt to be a little be closer to the goal each day. Beyond that, no one else's progress or understanding is really important (unless you are the teacher). Train, learn, learn, train (notice what isn't in this list?).

Please feel free to continue to share your "aha" moments if you like. Mine are most definitely private.

Finally, please remember to treat all people who post in the forum with the same respect you treat your dojomates. I thank you all for your cooperation.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

ulvulv
8th March 2004, 16:53
Its enough humming at least. :rolleyes:

I am so short that my aha-moments are few and far between, so be sure, If I have one, I will share it in an immediate and shameless manner.
Besides humming and insults, there has to be something to share in this friendly, openminded and committed elctronic jo-environment?

And according to my limited knowledge, Michael Finn is nobodys reference for jodo any other do nowadays.

Working intensely trough the katas, doing the specific techniques with a minimum of physical effort, experiencing and focusing on breathing, seme and zanshin, pushing the other beyond his limits, and being pushed back, retreating, attacking. Great."

(I have been told ;) )

I like midaredome, the unforgiving seme of the jo-side makes it a particularly strong and focused kata.

Jack B
9th March 2004, 20:14
I do like the end of Ranai. Sometimes when you strike away the final cut, you can feel uchi's balance disturbed forward, and you can gently follow it back, so instead of striking which is easy anyway, you sort of lay it on his chest and watch his abs hollow and collapse as you catch him on his heels. You do that by mistake, of course.

Suigetsu in seiteigata has the same feel if you catch him just right in his cut, so his chest kind of hollows around the stick and you push yourself away while uchi is helpless.

I also really like it when my partner forgets his next cut and does something completely whacky, and you react with a perfect kuritsuke or taiatara or fist in the temple, without even thinking, and then you get to say, "Whoah, what was that!"

SMJodo
10th March 2004, 12:15
I have a few of those when I got the end of Midaredome mixed up with Kasumi - and the final taiatari gets pushed in your face because you think it's going to be kuritsuke.

Andy Watson
10th March 2004, 13:56
...as well as doing makiotoshi in ran ai instead of rai-uchi-type tsuki.

Our dojo is famous for it's new brand of kiai which sounds something like "oops".

SMJodo
10th March 2004, 14:10
Ours is more like "hhhhhoooooop" for tsuki.

Jack B
10th March 2004, 18:30
...as well as doing makiotoshi in ran ai instead of rai-uchi-type tsuki.There are a couple of explanations for the difference between these two responses. I was taught that the Ranai cut is left kesagiri, so when you bring the stick up you "see" that you won't catch the cut, so you "choose" to keep moving under the stick and into the rai-uchi/kuritsuke block. Other groups see the difference as more of ma and timing, so that in midaredome you don't have time to move, whereas in ranai uchi is farther and must step to cut, giving you time to do the (preferable I guess) raiuchi tsuki. Either way missing cues will put you in the wrong kata. I consider mistakes to be a major part of learning variations and possibilities. They make me go HMMM (after I go OOPS and clean my keikogi).