PDA

View Full Version : The meaning of Kote

Usagi
20th October 2000, 16:42
Greetings comrades!

What does it mean kote?

As far as i know the translation would be "small hand", but why "small hand" refers to the hand AND the forearm? (BIIIIG "small hand"...)

As i've seen that in KenDo the gloves are called kote it came to me the idea that, maybe kote was how the gauntlets were called(they resemble small hands).

Help me E-BuDo folks, you're my last hope! :)

Best regards

Renato Usagi

Paul Mathews
20th October 2000, 18:07
Kote is the wrist, as in kote gaeshi - wrist out turn. It is my understanding that in kendo the wrists are one of the approved targets.

Paul

JS3
21st October 2000, 01:01
Might want to try this thread.
It was started to describe Kote-gaeshi but there are several definitions for kote in there.
Good Luck
http://204.95.207.136/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=1355

Paul Mathews
21st October 2000, 04:45
Joe,
Somehow I missed that thread. That clears up the uses of kote and tekubi for me. Thanks.

Paul (ever the student) Mathews

MarkF
21st October 2000, 09:14
Here is a glossary I use sometimes,
http://homes.acmecity.com/animation/oilpastel/159/m_art_glossary.htm

Mark

Kote: Japanese word for forearm.

[Edited by MarkF on 10-21-2000 at 03:28 AM]

Gil Gillespie
28th October 2000, 14:39
Here's the skinny fom my resident expert in all things Japanese, my significant other, the former Takagi Junko from Shizuoka. Kote comes from the kenjutsu gauntlet that covers the back of the hand to middle of the forearm. Kendoka striking this target for a point call out "kote!" Generically kote is not wrist but the square formed by the back of the hand. The thumb pushes this kote out (reversal/ "Gaeshi") when applying pressure on the knuckles in kote gaeshi.

The wrist as a joint and body part is tekubi. (Literally "te"=hand, "kubi"=neck; the neck of the hand.) In this sence it is not the wrist that is "turned out" in kote gaeshi, it is the back of the hand.