PDA

View Full Version : New (?) book by Bud Malmstrom (?!)

Eric Baluja
20th October 2000, 15:46
Wow! I didn't know he wrote a book! Does anyone know where I can get it? The Bujinkan Atlanta website doesn't have it.

Anyway, here's a review from the "Kihon Newsletter", FYI:

Warriorship, Life Lessons of a Martial Artist
By Carey D. "Bud" Malmstrom
Reviewed by Lauren Brandstein, BNYD

Warriorship is American Shihan Bud Malmstrom's first book. Bud Malmstrom has been training in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu for over twenty years, and currently resides in Atlanta, Georgia. Warriorship is not a book of techniques, or a history of ninjutsu, or the martial arts. Rather, it is more like an Introduction to Bud, or what the author himself jokingly calls "Bud-hism".

Warriorship is largely biographical, although not chronologically linear. Many of its anecdotes are stand-alone tellings of significant moments in Mr. Malmstrom's training, like walking into Stephen Hayes' dojo for the first time, or passing the godan test. Others are real or hypothetical examples, which serve to illustrate philosophical ideas put forth towards the beginning of each section or chapter. Everything is presented as only the author's opinion, but it is clear that those opinions are very strong.

The writing is very open and straightforward, and often drolly funny in the dry, matter-of-fact way Mr. Malmstrom sometimes approaches a topic. He puts into words many things commonly passed over or taken for granted, and presents them in a whole new light, in a concrete, surprising way. In order to do this, throughout the book the author attempts to draw distinctions between words often used synonymously, such as "truth" and "fact", and to explain how he is using them. Sometimes these explanations are very thought provoking and well-written, and sometimes they are a bit confusing, but always interesting.

A really nice, colorful painting, including a portrait of the author, adorns the cover of Warriorship. There are a few glossy, black and white pictures scattered throughout, but again, they are not meant to demonstrate the proper way to do a technique (although there is a nice series showing omote gyaku), but rather to illustrate an idea. The stories and sections are short and to the point, making this book easy to read anytime, anywhere, as a bunch of budo-snacks, or straight through in one sitting.

Mr. Malmstrom bravely tells several stories, and reveals details of his actions and thoughts, which do not always show him in the most favorable light, and this frankness makes his writing that much more immediate and potent. He makes it clear that he is comfortable with imperfection and mistakes, as they are signs of growth. The young Bud Malmstrom can often feel like the reader's younger self, complete with many of the same misconceptions and embarrassing mistakes. Hopefully we have the same kinds of insights later on that he does. It is heartening to think that someone who has gone through and achieved so much may once have been in the same place, and gone through the same confusion and frustrations, that we have. All in all, this book was a very enjoyable read, and would be valuable to anyone interested in a lifelong student's experiences and insights into living and being human, as well as being a warrior. kihon.com

Sounds kewl!!! Any info is appreciated.

Eric Baluja

steve schoen
31st October 2000, 13:39
I e-mailed Sensei Maurantonio (kihon.com) and this is the reply I got.This is the pubilsher of the book and the address. Briarwood Publications
web page: http://www.briarwoodva.com/
You can send email questionsto: bturner@swva.net.
Place Telephone orders: 540-483-3606
See more info on the book at: http://www.briarwoodva.com/bm.html

hope this helps!

Steve Schoen

steve schoen
3rd November 2000, 13:33
You can also try to get the book through ninjutsu.com. The book is #bk140.It will throw you back $12.50 plus shipping but I'm sure it's worth it!!

Steve Schoen