PDA

View Full Version : Judo in Tampa, FL?

Sherman Chow
7th March 2004, 04:16
Hi everybody,
For the past month and a half, I've been doing submission grappling/ no-gi bjj. As a result, it's rekindled my interest in judo.

I used to do judo back in Columbus, MS when I was in high school 6 years ago with Chris Dewey sensei. It was pretty darn fun, and it really gave me a good base for the grappling arts.

Now, I'm thinking about cross training. I really miss those throws, but I'm really looking for a balanced program that covers throwing and submissions. Does anybody have any recommendations for the Tampa area?

I appreciate it.

Starkjudo
7th March 2004, 07:48
Greetings, Sherman, from someone who was with Doc then, and now, but in Starkville instead of Columbus. Your first search for a school in Tampa should be www.judoinfo.com - they keep a nationwide list of schools. It appears there are at least two schools in the general Tampa area. Good luck!

Sherman Chow
8th March 2004, 03:52
It's a small world! Two people from the same little town of Starkvegas on e-budo! Isn't the internet great? :D

Thanks for the heads up, Rob. I should have known that there would be a site like that. I'll do my homework from there. We've just got a new BJJ & Judo blackbelt affiliated with our school so I may get the best of both worlds! :cool:

How's Starkville? believe it or not, sometimes I miss it!
:eek:

Take care.

Mr. Buster
14th March 2004, 01:39
I would bet the YMCA or one of the many community or recreation centers would have a Judo program. I don't know what the cost would be but I would 'think' it would be less than the local schools? I've known some people that have really enjoyed this route and the classes were usually smaller thus more individualized attention.

Bet you'd find something you liked in that area.

Sherman Chow
14th March 2004, 02:05
Hey Pat,
thanks for the good idea. I never thought of that. I'll do a little research if I can free up my schedule for Judo.

Mr. Buster
14th March 2004, 02:56
Glad I could help :) A couple of buddies of mine really had great experienced at the local rec or YMCA [don't remember which]. In both cases the classes were run by a bunch of older Judo players that weren't interested in making a buck, they just wanted to train and pass on Judo to those interested. Both my buddies really got some quality training for next to nothing but time spent. Can't beat a deal like that!

Never know, you might find something similar...