PDA

View Full Version : please feel free to ask

carl mcclafferty
29th May 2000, 04:45
Folks:
My name is carl mcclafferty I am the Deputy Chief Patrol Agent for the Border Patrol in Del Rio, Texas. That can be verified by reading the San Antonio Express May 28th, there in a quote from me regarding shootings on the Mexican Border.

I am also the same person branded as a Chalatan on this forum. Power Sensei (Guy) took the time to investigate and has come to my defense. Just to clear the air here is what I am besides a federal agent.
I am a Rokudan in Ryuseiken Batto Do under Saruta Mitsuhiro Sensei. I had a Godan in Nakamura Ryu and a Rokudan in Toyama, but fell out of good graces with Nakamura Sensei due to Japanese politics (terrible things), but received a letter from him in March and will try to visit him in August while I'm in Japan. I am testing for my Chuden Menjo in Shin Shin Sekiguichi In Gifu Ryu during the August visit. I do not teach nor represent Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu, but I do have a long relationship with Otake Risuke Sensei. Please contact Guy Power Sensei if you wish for verification.

Thank you
Carl L. McClafferty
e-mail is usibsa@aol.com

John Lindsey
1st June 2000, 07:44
Hi Carl and welcome to E-budo! I can't recall the message about you being a chalatan, but I have been real busy getting us back online after our crash.

On a semi sword related question, are those little hooked knives still a popular weapon of choice with the public down there on the border? I think they are intended to remove the testicles off of goats, but someone told me once that gangs were using them to cut open people as well.

BTW, I am in Houston and always glad to see another TEXAN here!

carl mcclafferty
1st June 2000, 14:34
John:
Thanks for the welcome. The "charlatan" thing happened before the crash, you'll probably see some reference to it in your "aikijutsu" "dieing art" section. In the border Patrol we call hooked knives "saca tripa". Literally "take out guts". People have been cutting people low in the belly with them since I joined the Border Patrol in 1976 and no doubt long before. Pleasant thought for this early in the morning.
Again thanks for the welcome.
Carl

------------------

George Kohler
1st June 2000, 17:12
Hi Carl,

I haven't been to Del Rio in a while. How's it going over there? I use to be in Task Force UNITY several years ago and have great memories of Marfa, Del Rio, and McAllen sectors.

------------------
George Kohler
Genbukan/KJJR
Kusakage Dojo-cho

carl mcclafferty
1st June 2000, 23:01
George:
Things are busy, but I'm not complaining. Looks like we'll break 160,000 arrests this year in Del Rio Sector. I just transferred in from Detroit and I like being warm. I was the Deputy, than the Commander of BORTAC and was on the 1st Unity Op in Marfa in "Big Ben". I enjoyed my tour as the Border Patrol Chief of the Great Lakes, but I guess in my heart I'm a desert dweller.

Carl

TimHillman
2nd June 2000, 05:35
Hello,
My name is Tim Hillman, I have been involved in the martial arts for 27 years. My sensei William R. Cavalier and his teacher Gerard Durant were also branded as charlatins on this forum. I have been friends with Carl McClafferty for a number of years and can only say that he is an excellent teacher and that any one who has slandered him, the Goshin Jutsu system, Gerard Durant, or William Cavalier and his organization, the Tatsu Do Yudanshakai, simply do not know what they are talking about.
Thank-you

------------------
Tim Hillman

ghp
2nd June 2000, 05:49
Hi John! You cannot imagine the amount of work I've been able to accomplish since e-budo was down! (sorry)

========== on topic:

I was one of the persons who publically questioned some statements found on Carl's web page. Specifically, I stated that it was difficult to believe that he had any sort of personal relationship with Otake sensei. Moreover, I publically implied (albeit politely) on this BB that Carl's claim was pretty much over exaggerated. I thought "here is another person claiming to know a famous master" -- I've seen "photo op" photographs misused by other people before -- therefore, my caution. I still have a jaundiced eye and remain skeptical of such claims.

However, in Carl McClafferty's case I was wrong.

Since stating my earlier reservations I have been contacted by a number of Carl's students offering to bring photos and video proving more than just a "photo op" or one-time demonstration in a community dojo.

More importantly, despite my previous skepticism, Carl worked with me very politely and professionally to dispel my mistrust. I've received more than 10 photographs taken over the couse of many years, showing Carl and Otake sensei together in sensei's house, dojo, during enbu, etc., -- more than just the average "tourist" poses.

With Carl's permission, I will post a couple of the photographs later -- yeah, I scanned them -- (John, I'll have to send them to you first).

In closing, let me say that I did not call Carl a charlatan; however, I feel responsible for reinforcing that erroneous perception. Carl, please accept my public apology.

Regards,
Guy

------------------
Guy H. Power
http://www.trifox.com/aux/kenshinkan

carl mcclafferty
2nd June 2000, 12:35
Guy:
You never should apologize for looking for the truth. If you had not I would still be just another "charlatan". It was that "word" from another person, whom I did not know, that wounded my silly pride. I'm Irish and my wife claims I'm "only one generation away from dyeing my self blue and attacking Romans naked out of the mist. So I get upset easy.
I just hope this does not get you targeted.

To the general public: As far as Mr. Cavalier, we are no longer associated, but I would suggest that if you think that big, old man is a charlatan go visit him. He is a great person and a better martial artist than he is a person.

Carl
PS: Mr. Hillman thanks for the words, but remember this is the The "sword art" page "Aikijutsu" is a little father up. I get confused enough on computers as it is.

George Kohler
3rd June 2000, 06:41
Hi Carl,

I didn't know he was still around. And he's a Col now? Tell him I said hi and good luck.

------------------
George Kohler
Genbukan/KJJR
Kusakage Dojo-cho

carl mcclafferty
3rd June 2000, 16:36
Guy and John:
Feel free to post the pictures if you wish, if it wasn't you two I probably would not go along with it.

George:
I just talked to Colonel Akers (Monty) yesterday he's headed to eastern europe for a least a year. He's going away party will be on July 11th. He told me to say "hi".

Carl

ghp
8th June 2000, 02:02
Carl,

I sent three photos to John and asked him to post them on a new thread called "Carl & Otake sensei."

When you get back, send a few more and I'll scan them for you (not too many, please).

Regards,
Guy

------------------
Guy H. Power
http://www.trifox.com/aux/kenshinkan