PDA

View Full Version : Just got my new Jo (and Tanjo)

SMJodo
10th March 2004, 13:36
I recently received a new Jo and Tanjo from Brad at Kingfisher Woodworks and they're really nice. The fresh cut (non-sanded) surface feels really good in the hands. You can actually see the small spaces between the grains of wood because they're not clogged with dust and laquored. It's a little heavier than I am used to, probably because it's 1 in. in diameter whereas my practice jo is just a little thinner. The wood also has a little different feel (Hickory vs. White Oak). I can't wait to take it for a spin.

I started messing around with the Tanjo a few weeks ago after I found a web site that showed the katas. Not seroius training mind you - just to get a little familiar. The weight on the Kingfisher Tanjo however seems perfect for me (although I have nothing to compare it to). It feels just heavy enough to be effective for training or self defense - ie. it's substantial. I originally bought it to carry around in my car for self-defense, but I might buy another when I begin formal training. Kudos to Brad and Kingfisher for their care and committment to quality products.