PDA

View Full Version : re

Shikiyanaka
11th March 2004, 13:24
Without wanting to move the thread to a different topic;

I have read your article sometime before, and of course, it is very good.

Although there are many good articles out there. In many of them, wether written by pro's or hobbyists, it is only the details which mostly cause little "problems." I know this problem well from myself and - carefully read - one can find some little things remaining unclear in nearly every article.

For example:

It has been said that Nagamine developed this style himself. He named the style after Bushi Matsumura (1797-1889).
Matsubayashi-ryu. Founded in 1947 by Nagamine Shôshin, is Tomari-te as well as Shuri-te based and the Kata were not made up by Nagamine himself (besides Fukyu-kata ichi and partly Fukyu-kata ni).

From Chotoku Kyan (1870-1945) he learned the Shuri-te kata from the Sakugawa-Matsumura lineage.

From Choki Motobu (1871-1944) he learned Tomari-te kata from Kosaku Matsumora (1829-1898) (and also Shuri-te kata).

And he wrote that he used the "Matsu" in honor of both Matsumura and Matsumora.

It is so difficult to say what is more traditional.

One may say, that the Itosu lineage is the most traditional, although he obviously made up Pinan from parts of Kusanku. Also, somewhere in time the Shô and Dai versions of Kusanku appeared.

One may say, that the Tomari-te kata brought down from Kosaku Matsumora (1829-1898) are more traditional, because they did not go via Itosu.

For example, the Matsubayashi-ryu version of Kusanku is the Kusanku version of Chatan Yara (together with Sakugawa the two known students of Kusanku). And there is no Shô and Dai version of it.

Anyway, the Kanji are very helpful to see more clearly the connections and distinctions.

Regards