PDA

View Full Version : Booklist

DenCQB
22nd October 2000, 11:38
Corresponding with guys interested in CQC I always exchange lists of recommended books.In this way I was put onto "Strong on Defence" by Sandford Strong, which I bought, and thoroughly enjoyed. It has become a great resource for me.
Other books I suggest are "Defensive Living" by Ed Lovette and Dave Spaulding, and "On Killing" by Dave Grossman. I attended a lecture by Colonel Grossman and he is a brilliant presenter. His book is superb.By the way, it is not a manual on "how to kill!"
Perhaps we should start a list here. I look forward to reading your recommendations
Check Six
Dennis Martin

Steve Williams
22nd October 2000, 19:58
Hi Dennis

Like Michael I also enjoyed your writing in "Fighting Arts International", I also would be interested in a book or collection of these writings.
Now pleasentries aside, let us get to the topic of this thread :D

A book which I have read and found of interest is "Living the Martial Way" by Forrest E Morgan.

I look forward to your comments on this forum :look:

Michael Becker
22nd October 2000, 20:22
My limited choice of books are as follows.

1. Kill or Get Killed by Col. Rex Applegate.
A comprehensive manual by one of the founders of modern CQC.

2. Ease of Restraint: An Aid to Law Enforcement Officers by Les Martin.
Mr Martin studied Shinnoshindo Ryu jujutsu, ( the main technical influence for Faibairns H2H training for the military ) under instructors brought to London in the 1930's by W.E. Fairbairn. Mr Martin went on to instruct army personnel in CQC during WW2. This book demonstrates defences against empty hand, knife, pistol and shotgun attacks.
This book is only available from Peter Robins, a student of Mr Martin, though I am unsure if any copies are now left. Well worth getting if you can.

3. Get Tough by W.E. Fairbairn.
An overview of the H2H combat taught to armed forces during WW2.

4. To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth by Jeff Cooper.
Sometimes controversial,( I dont agree with Col. Cooper on everything ), but on the subject of personal defence he speaks with some authority.

Joseph Svinth
22nd October 2000, 23:58
Peter Robins says he has a number of copies of "Ease of Restraint" in the garage and that the Mrs. would like them sold. :) For ordering information, see the book review section at EJMAS. Neil Hawkins is supposed to be working up a full review, but meanwhile, from what I've seen, it is indeed a useful little book.

Sochin
23rd October 2000, 19:48
These are all good books but don't miss: The Anger Book, by ? Tavris

that destroys all our rationalizations about why it is ok to do unto others what you don't accept them doing unto you...

Pax, :)

DenCQB
24th October 2000, 20:36
Thanks guys,
This is exactly the kind of material I hoped for.
The works by Fairbairn and Applegate are, of course, classics. The longer I study this subject the more I appreciate their work. Another good wartime manual is the US Navy V-5. The content is great and the printing and photo reproduction is as good as a modern product.
Another favourite has to be "COLD STEEL" by John Styers.
Amongst modern works another I recommend is "SHARPENING THE WARRIORS' EDGE" by Bruce Siddle.
Keep the list growing.

defendu
25th October 2000, 16:29
I think Geoff Thompson's new book would fit in here as recommended reading

defendu
25th October 2000, 16:34
I think Geoff Thompson's new book would fit in here as recommended reading

Michael Becker
25th October 2000, 17:33
defendu, all posts on ebudo MUST be signed with your real name.