PDA

View Full Version : All Japan Battoudo Meet

Animo
23rd October 2000, 07:54
I had the pleasure of compeating yesterday in the All Japan Battoudo Meet. About a hundred competitors showed up for the event held by the Battoudo Leage of Japan. It was an unforgetable day. Luck was with our USA team lead by Bob Elder. We took first place in the team cutting event. Bob Elder, Bob Lammp, and myself survived the five rounds of the elimination tournement to come out on top. Bob Lammp also took third place in the six round nidan/sandan cutting competition. My friend Ue San took second place. I was lucky enough to take first place. I can still hardly believe it. The long day ended with a party at with our friends from the Machida Dojo and the Hong Kong team. Many thanks to our Japanese instructor Hataya Sensei!

bob elder
23rd October 2000, 23:30
Hello Guy Power. I am writing you from Japan on Ebudo cause the email I sent you at your web poage keeps getting bounced. Anyway, at the All JApan Batto Tai Kai the other day Nakamura Sensei was scheduled to do an exhibition but was injured ( knee or leg) and did not attend. However I met Sato Sensei and Suzuki Sensei. They were both really nice. Suzuki Sensei mentioned that you owe him some money and he wants it! Heh Heh no just kidding. Anyway, I could tell he is a powerful person. He hauled me off in the corner and showed me how to hold a sword correctly,, or at leats his way. Pretty cool. Also just started talking to me as if I understood Japanese. I did know what he meant but I didn:t know what he was saying. I also mey another top student(?) of Makamura Sensei but for got his name. THey did a kata exhibition. Anyway, it:s back to the CSA today. Adios. Bob Elder

bob elder
24th October 2000, 00:46
For anyone at the Fla. Tai Kai , I have the correct cerificates for the winners and tenugui for the entrants. will mail them out next week, if anyone thinks they were missed (please wait 2 weeks) please contact me and i will send another. Bob Elder

ghp
24th October 2000, 03:54
Bob,

Congratulations :toast: on your First Place in the Dantai-senso!!

:wave::wave: :wave::wave: :wave::wave::wave:
BANZAIIIIIIII BANZAIIIIIIII BANZAIIIIIIII

That's a tough one. For those who don't know, it requires 3 people to make 2 cuts each -- on the same makiwara. Each team member must be right on target with the correct angle. And be sure not to cut off too much for the last person (the "General") -- he's the clean-up "batter."

Thank you so much for that report! Just wish I had the funds to attend myself. There's another in November that Peer Halperin will be attending with 6 students. Where do you guys get all that dough?

Did Suzuki sensei show you how to flatten your thumb? For the life of me I cannot do it! And he's always getting on me about my noto! Sheesh, I just can't do anything right :D

Say, could I con one of the tenugui out of you (if you get a "spare")?

The other teacher is probably Sato Shimeo sensei -- white haired gentleman (retired executive)of about 75 or so (hanshi 9th dan); he usually works with Suzuki sensei (kyoshi 8th dan) on kumitachi.

Sorry to hear of Nakamura sensei's continued ill health. He's 89 this January ... I suppose it comes with the territory.

And I wonder why your e-mail was getting bounce-backs? I've been getting a slew of enquiries lately through my homepage (well ... it does go to the Web-Diva first).

Again, congratulations on a win well won (try that fast).

Regards,
Guy

WillG
24th October 2000, 04:27
Fine.

You guys have now proven that you can host your own event and then travel across the globe and steal some Oriental thunder! Are the Japanese students now going to be coming here to garner the secrets of superior swordsmanship?

There goes the neighborhood! :)

Way to go.

With real respect,

Will

Animo
25th October 2000, 00:53
Will,

Bob Elder is trying to make the Orlando Tai Kai as close to the Japanese Tai Kai as possible. This year all the cutting patterns were all the same, so the practicing I did for the Orlando Tai Kai really paid off. Many of the same judges were present here in Japan. The skill level of the Japanese and the number of people made it very difficult. We took (symbolic) posession of a huge trophy and the top dojo flag as the winners of team cutting. We will leave a team USA ribbon on the trophy along with all the ribbons of the previous winners. Another trophy was awarded to me for nidan/sandan cutting and my name will become part of it's history. I can not tell you how proud I was to receive the awards. Some of my Japanese friends were joking that next year they may have to play stars and stripes instead of the Japanese national anthem.

PYRO
25th October 2000, 15:00
Mike,

Congratulations to you and to team USA. :wave:

Gojudude
26th October 2000, 00:54
Kudos to Team USA ( Bob Elder, Mike Femal and Bob Lampp)
You guys worked hard for many many months in preparation. The Orlando Tai Kai was a good warmup. I think this makes a big statement as to the dedication of the practitioners and quality of the instruction received from Hataya Sensei and from Bob Elder Sensei. For without their patience, guidance and dedication this would never have been possible.

Makes me real proud to be associated with you guys!! I can't wait till next year !!!

Tom Smyth

Animo
27th October 2000, 09:53
We may have both a Japanese and Hong Kong group in next years Orlando Tai Kai. We better all practice hard and give them some stiff competition.

I'm doing a cutting demonstration with Hataya Sensei tomorrow. It is some Japanese ceremony, but I could not get a good translation of what it is all about. Wish me luck!