PDA

View Full Version : Where the h*ll is the logout?

Jari Virta
23rd October 2000, 17:14
I have a problem. I mean, you have a problem. This site has no logout button.

Why is this a problem?

Because I use this forum from public computers at my school. At first I didn't notice anything unusual, but then my friends found out about it and told me.

When I have left the building (ok, the workstation) nobody can login to this forum from the same computer. Apparently ever again! Whenever somebody tries to post here, they are presented with my name and prompted for password. Of course they cannot pose as me, because they don't know my password, but they cannot register as themselves, all they get is something like "you are already registered" or similar.

Now this has become a problem because I have probably used dozens, if not hundreds of different workstations for reading e-budo. Now none of them lets anybody else in, but me! I have tried deleting the history, all the cookies but no use.

I strongly suggest that you add a logout button that completely forgets the machine from which the visitor logged in.

George Kohler
23rd October 2000, 18:36
Hi Jari,

If you go down to the bottom of the list of Forums, under the names of the people that are logged in you will see,

"All times are ET (US).2429 threads in total | 20404 posts in total Log out"

It is in the lower right corner. All you have to do is click on "Log out" and the rest is history.

Jari Virta
1st November 2000, 12:33
Originally posted by jboler
Might I suggest you calm down first. The logout option has been there all the time....

Oh, sorry. I still don't understand why is it hidden down there and only in the one main view? It should be up there along the rest of the buttons like "Change Profile", and it should be up there in every view. Just like the rest of the buttons.

EDITED, ADDING THIS:

No, I take it back. I STILL don't see a logout button. I do see a login button though. I see both, the login text on the left, and the login button on the right. But no logout button. And to make it clear, I am logged already. It says my name on the screen, so the issue is not that I have logged out at any time.

The problem remains. (I tried Reloading, no effect)

[Edited by Jari Virta on 11-01-2000 at 06:47 AM]

John Lindsey
1st November 2000, 12:55
if you have your cookies turned on after you log out, you will log back in. Thus, you have to turn off your cookies.

Jari Virta
1st November 2000, 13:07
So, in order to use this forum, one must be a computer expert? What a system... :(

Steve Williams
1st November 2000, 21:55
Terve Jari
Mitas kuulu?

Go to top of page, click on big e-budo picture.
This takes you to main screen, then go to bottom of screen, the Log out is there at the bottom right.

Nakemiin

(sorry for my poor finnish)

Jari Virta
2nd November 2000, 11:15
Originally posted by Steve Williams
Terve Jari
Mitas kuulu?

Go to top of page, click on big e-budo picture.
This takes you to main screen, then go to bottom of screen, the Log out is there at the bottom right.

Nakemiin

(sorry for my poor finnish)

Your finnish is fine, but no matter how many times I log in and how many times I click on the big e-budo picture, I only see the login button, sorry.

I guess it has got to do with the cookie-stuff this other guy is talking about. I honestly think that is a terrible way of doing business on the Net. I know lots of Martial Artists who use the net regularly, yet know nothing about the cookie-technology. I personally don't even have privileges to turn them off on our system. I cannot make any changes here (well, I can save stuff onto the /temp directory but that is all). Perhaps I should not use this forum from these workstations that I have no further privileges on.

I never would have thought that this of all places is for computer-buffs only, but live and learn. :confused:

Jari Virta
2nd November 2000, 11:17
Originally posted by jboler
Go to your profile, and turn off the "Store Username & Password in browser memory" option

I turned it off when I registered, and I checked it now, it is still off. That is not it.

Steve Williams
3rd November 2000, 16:47
Terve Jari

Sorry no Finnish today (get it from my wife, if I wrote what I know it would only be swear-words).
I do not know why the log out is not there, it always is when I look, by the way I am hopeless at "computer speak" and they have me as a moderator :laugh: so you do not need to know what you are doing.
In the profile section there is a "Invisable" part, try to turn that off, it may help?

If it is still not working then best to send private message to John Lindsay, he will reply and can probably check stuff from his end.

Speak again soon

Anders Pettersson
3rd November 2000, 17:19
HI.

I will try and help out.

When I go to e-budo thee is a "log out" link in the bottom right corner of this page: http://204.95.207.136/vbulletin/index.php

The log out link is; http://204.95.207.136/vbulletin/member.php?action=clearcookies

Hpe that helps.

Jari Virta
7th November 2000, 07:59
Originally posted by Anders Pettersson
HI. I will try and help out.

Yes, the link does it. When I click on the link in your post, I get logged out as I would if I could see the logout button. :)

Anders Pettersson
7th November 2000, 08:59
Hi again Jari.

Actually there is not a "log-out" button, it is a simple text-link, just under the "table" of forums. If you see the translation button, it is a little bit above that.

Jari Virta
11th November 2000, 07:25
Originally posted by Anders Pettersson
Hi again Jari.

Actually there is not a "log-out" button, it is a simple text-link, just under the "table" of forums. If you see the translation button, it is a little bit above that.

Yeah, I have a login-link there. I also have a Login-button on the right.