PDA

View Full Version : Koryu in Washington State?

tellner
31st March 2004, 01:43
Is there anyone teaching the Good Old Stuff(tm) in greater Portland Oregon/Southwest Washington area or someone within a few hours drive who wouldn't mind somewhat irregular attendance? I'm looking for weapons arts in particular. My Krabi Krabong instructor has pretty much given up on teaching, and I'm looking for something to fill the gap.

Regards,
Todd

Mekugi
31st March 2004, 04:13
Shinto Muso Ryu Jo (koryu bujutsu) has an active dojo in Portland. SMR teaches : Jo, odachi, kodachi, nito, Isshin Ryu Kusarigama, Ikaku Ryu Jutte and Uchida Ryu Tanjojutsu. Webpge: http://shinto-muso-ryu.org/ or for reasearch: http://www.koryubooks.com/guide/muso.html
e-mail me if you want to know who-what-when.

There is also Sosuishitsuryu (koryu bujutsu) in Portland, Vancouver (WA) and Lake Oswego. They teach Jujutsu (Kumi Uchi) and Koshi no Mawari (Koshi no Mawari).
For more info, check out http://www.sosuishitsuryu.com for history and stuff.

-Russ Ebert
mekugi@sosuishitsuryu.com

Originally posted by tellner
Is there anyone teaching the Good Old Stuff(tm) in greater Portland Oregon/Southwest Washington area or someone within a few hours drive who wouldn't mind somewhat irregular attendance? I'm looking for weapons arts in particular. My Krabi Krabong instructor has pretty much given up on teaching, and I'm looking for something to fill the gap.

Regards,
Todd

Desmond
31st March 2004, 18:30
I dont mind irregular attendance, but I am not qualified to teach weapons. Granted that does not stop me from playing with them sometimes but I dont teach them. I'd say to hit the phone book. There are enough people in Portland who will take your money to teach you what they have.

D.H.

George Kohler
31st March 2004, 19:02
Desmond,

Please sign your post with your full name.

Shison
1st April 2004, 08:51
You asked:

Is there anyone teaching the Good Old Stuff(tm) in greater Portland Oregon/Southwest Washington area or someone within a few hours drive who wouldn't mind somewhat irregular attendance?

Russ Answered:

Shinto Muso Ryu Jo (koryu bujutsu) has an active dojo in Portland. SMR teaches : Jo, odachi, kodachi, nito, Isshin Ryu Kusarigama, Ikaku Ryu Jutte and Uchida Ryu Tanjojutsu...There is also Sosuishitsuryu (koryu bujutsu) in Portland, Vancouver (WA) and Lake Oswego. They teach Jujutsu (Kumi Uchi) and Koshi no Mawari (Koshi no Mawari).

I second what Russ said, as far as the "good ol' stuff". If that isn't your cup of tea, then Portland should have a plethora of various weapons schools - plus you got the PNKF there in Tigard, which could lead to some Battou/Iai.

Like Mr. Harpster said, hit the phonebooks. :)

hyouriittai
8th August 2004, 04:39
Originally posted by Shison
You asked:

Russ Answered:

I second what Russ said, as far as the "good ol' stuff". If that isn't your cup of tea, then Portland should have a plethora of various weapons schools - plus you got the PNKF there in Tigard, which could lead to some Battou/Iai.

Like Mr. Harpster said, hit the phonebooks. :)

I study with the PNKF group in Tigard, the Obukan dojo, and they do have iai there on Wednesdays. Robert Stroud sensei left the dojo just recently, but I'm sure there will be someone there to instruct iai in his place. John Hancock-sensei, I believe is the new head instructor of the dojo.

On another note, I've been looking for some koryu around here, too. The mention of a Shinto Muso-ryu group perked my interest -- however, I've never even heard of them or read about them in my searches on the internet, nevermind the phonebook. Does anyone have any information on that?

MarkF
8th August 2004, 12:50
Originally posted by tellner

Regards,
Todd

Mr. Tellner, if you are looking for koryu, Ellis Amdur is in the Seattle area. You may want to contact him to discuss the possibility of studying with him. His background is aikido, but he teaches Araki-ryu, but it couldn't hurt to shoot him an email. You should find him posting in this forum, so contact should be easy. Joining, however, may not be as easy, but it can't hurt to ask.

There are tons of budo of all kinds in the PNW so you should be able to find something to suit you. If you don't have any experience, however, a judo dojo, or aikido may be a good way to get into shape and practice for koryu.

Mark

TEAngerhofer
8th August 2004, 18:00
Dear Sir:
there is a fine gentleman in the Portland area who is teaching Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo Jutsu; his name is Michael Taylor. I highly recommend him: he is both knowledgeable and generous. You may find him by searching the net for his dojo "Northwest Koryukan". I hope this helps you in your search.
Sincerely,
T. Erik Angerhofer

tenchijin2
8th August 2004, 21:08
Todd,

What weapons are you looking to learn? Are you looking for basic/advanced kata, or more application?

Jack B
18th August 2004, 20:56
Originally posted by hyouriittai
On another note, I've been looking for some koryu around here, too. The mention of a Shinto Muso-ryu group perked my interest -- however, I've never even heard of them or read about them in my searches on the internet, nevermind the phonebook. Does anyone have any information on that? The Oregon SMR would be Steve Duncan. He studies with Phil Relnick. The info up-page will get you in contact.

gmlc123
19th August 2004, 04:06
Hi Matthew

Check out Shelby's Jodo page.. it has the most complete list of links to Jodo/Jojutsu related information

http://www.shelby.at/budo/jodo.html

Hope this helps. Good luck
Regards
Greg

The mention of a Shinto Muso-ryu group perked my interest -- however, I've never even heard of them or read about them in my searches on the internet, nevermind the phonebook. Does anyone have any information on that?

hyouriittai
19th August 2004, 05:14
Originally posted by gmlc123
Hi Matthew

Check out Shelby's Jodo page.. it has the most complete list of links to Jodo/Jojutsu related information

http://www.shelby.at/budo/jodo.html

Hope this helps. Good luck
Regards
Greg

Er, what I meant is that I hadn't heard about the group in our area. Though I'm not entirely familiar with Shinto Muso-ryu (or any other koryu for that matter!) I have heard and read about it a bit. :) Thanks for the help, though!

gmlc123
20th August 2004, 01:53
Oops, Matt.. sorry, I misunderstood the context of your question, obviously.

Not that it was helpful, but you're welcome anyway. :)

Regards
Greg

Er, what I meant is that I hadn't heard about the group in our area. Though I'm not entirely familiar with Shinto Muso-ryu (or any other koryu for that matter!) I have heard and read about it a bit. :) Thanks for the help, though!

thomasgroendal
28th January 2016, 18:28

Regards,
Todd

Just saw this old thread come up on a google search and wanted to let would be Koryu people know that Hoshu Dojo teaches Shindo Muso Ryu (of the fukuoka lineage) and Daito Ryu.
Information can be found at www.hoshudojo.com. I know of another SMR school called Ecole de Budo here as well, although I've never them.

Hissho
29th January 2016, 09:34
I know of another SMR school called Ecole de Budo here as well, although I've never them.

Thomas seems like you left a few words out! ;)

EBR (or School of Budo) does teach SMR jo and iai, through the dojocho's teacher Jaff Raji, a student of Pascal Krieger. Krieger sensei has visited the dojo to teach koryu and Judo.

We also offer aikido and Tim Cartmell's jiujitsu - which we refer to in-house as "Shinbu" (after his Shen Wu) - which has some unique elements not common to other BJJ schools.

I'd love to visit you guys and see your Daito-ryu some time!

Mark Raugas
2nd March 2017, 05:22
I have recently moved to Seattle and the koryu I practice is Kashima-shinden Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu. I am very impressed by the amount of koryu in the PNW: Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin-ryu, Sosuishi-ryu, Shinto Muso-ryu, Daito-ryu, Takenouchi-ryu, Toda-ha Buko-ryu, Araki-ryu, Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto-ryu, Owari Shinkage-ryu, Owari Kan-ryu, the list goes on (is that even exhaustive -- there probably is more).

Mark Raugas
www.innerdharma.org

pgsmith
2nd March 2017, 16:32
Hey Mark,
Welcome!
Yeah, the rest of us are envious over the sheer number of legitimate koryu in that area. You can keep the rain and the slugs though! :)

Brian Owens
3rd March 2017, 01:27
You can keep the rain and the slugs though!

Oh come on; our slugs are great. A little garlic, some shallots... ;-)