PDA

View Full Version : UN International School Demonstration

luar
1st April 2004, 04:09
Just a note that this past Monday we had a demonstration at the United Nations International School (http://www.unis.org/). I could not attend but from what I can see from the video I am editing, it looks like a very fun gig and kids just loved watching all the "flying" that took place. I will try to make some of the footage available.

luar
5th April 2004, 03:49
As promised, here is some of the video highlights. The files are in WMV format.

1. Anatomy of an Embu (http://www.nyshorinji.org/video/UNEmbuDemo.wmv)

2. Self-Defense (http://www.nyshorinji.org/video/UNSelfDef.wmv)

3. Three person Embu (http://www.nyshorinji.org/video/UNEmbu3.wmv)

Note that I have no plans to post these on our website and am only releasing them here just for our own communal interest.

Enjoy

dtoone
9th April 2004, 04:01
Gassho Raul,

Thanks for posting the video clips. Very nicely done, both on the technical side, and on the performance side. I really enjoy watching other demonstrations, after having put one together for the Emeryville Branch at the first of the year.

P.S, I could not get the first one to stream correctly. I'll try back later, to see if I have better luck.

Kesshu

luar
9th April 2004, 12:37
If you are using Windows, you can always right button click and download the files.

Ade
9th April 2004, 17:37
We like those.

Try these as well:

video clips (http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/video/ikempo.htm )

Tripitaka of AA
10th April 2004, 11:26
I haven't been able to download ANY of the clips mentioned in this thread :(

Ade
10th April 2004, 12:21
Dear Dave

They were found at this address

http://www.suginoharyu.com/

which contains multiple clips of various martial arts (love the kung fu run around 3 blokes chests technique!)

But it doesn't seem to be working at present.

Check it out when it's up.

Happy viewing.

Ade

sean_stonehart
11th April 2004, 02:27
The clips were indeed nicely done.

That being said & not a Shorinji Kempo practitioner, I've got a question. In the 3 man bout, each of them before they were "attacked" gave a little motion with their forward hand & a short kiai of some kind. Was that a "come & get me" kind of acknowledgment to the other 2 that the game was on?

I'm only asking because in my current MA (Northern Shaolin) & my new one (Choy Lay Fut), we just bow & it's on. No setting up of anything or ok'ing. So I'm just wanting to verify what I saw.

Thanks!

Tripitaka of AA
11th April 2004, 18:07
OK Ade, I'm getting the ones you linked to now. Do we know who these folk are... I'm so out of touch (as you know) but the tall one with a beard rings a bell from a recent website runaround.

What was the event?

luar
11th April 2004, 19:05
Originally posted by sean_stonehart
That being said & not a Shorinji Kempo practitioner, I've got a question. In the 3 man bout, each of them before they were "attacked" gave a little motion with their forward hand & a short kiai of some kind. Was that a "come & get me" kind of acknowledgment to the other 2 that the game was on?

That would be Shita-Uke which is actually a block. In a way it does signify an "engarde" although I have heard from other experienced kenshi that it is not required for embu.

Before and after each embu, we Gassho Rei as the attached photo shows.

sean_stonehart
11th April 2004, 21:00
Great!

Thanks!:D

Ade
13th April 2004, 21:09
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
OK Ade, I'm getting the ones you linked to now. Do we know who these folk are... I'm so out of touch (as you know) but the tall one with a beard rings a bell from a recent website runaround.
What was the event?

Sorry Dave no I can't help.
I suspect that they are part of the Swedish Federation but I can't be sure.

When was the last time you trained exactly?
Only someone mentioned your name to Sensei the other day and he laughed and shook his head!

He knows you then.

Ade

PS You could always make a comeback appearance at the South Coast Seminar this coming Sunday, 10 'till 1pm at Southampton University.

Tripitaka of AA
14th April 2004, 04:54
Hi Ade

I last trained.... an embarassingly short time after passing my Nidan. So short that I had vanished completely before the certificate had time to arrive from Japan. I don't remember the exact date, but sometime in 1988 :rolleyes: . Lots of personal, relationship and work-related reasons... and some health issues... continue to keep me away. As is probably clear by now, my thoughts have stayed with Shorinji Kempo, while my body has strayed from the path. :(

Which Sensei were you referring to, Russel Jenkins Sensei, or Mizuno Sensei? I used to go shopping in the Japan Centre, where Mrs Mizuno (Mizuno Sensei no okusama, to me!) works. One day I was being served by a charming young lady, that I was a little shocked to realise was Keiko, whom I had last seen as a small toddler, hanging around the Abbey Dojo waiting for Osamu to finish class. Time has flown by.

I'd love to attend the South COast Seminar(s), From what I've heard, they are likely to be outstanding opportunities to make huge improvements, meet new friends, drink more beer than is healthy and provide Ade Sensei with an opportunity to attempt new world records for "numbers of people fainting in one session"... I heard it from Ade :D

Tripitaka of AA
14th April 2004, 05:00
I'm guessing that Sensei is getting used to every Tom, Dick and Harry that uses U-Budo asking him to verify my existence. He probably hears my name more now than when I was training.

Perhaps I'll make it as a footnote in the next edition of Fukudokuhon;

The E-Budoka named David Noble did once train in Shorinji Kempo, many many years ago. We don't remember much about him, but it seems we can't get rid of him. He's usually harmless, so just treat him as you would any other item of antique yet valueless furniture.

Ade
14th April 2004, 08:48
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA

Hi Ade...I'd love to attend the South COast Seminar(s).
From what I've heard, they are likely to be outstanding opportunities to make huge improvements, meet new friends, drink more beer than is healthy and provide Ade Sensei with an opportunity to attempt new world records for "numbers of people fainting in one session"... (I heard it from Ade :D)

....I'm guessing that Sensei is getting used to every Tom, Dick and Harry that uses U-Budo asking him to verify my existence. He probably hears my name more now than when I was training...

That's 6 yes's in a row.
Firsts beer's on me, now are you coming to a South Coast Seminar? (there's one on this Sunday, the 18th April 2004, at Southampton University, from 10am till 1pm!)

Tripitaka of AA
14th April 2004, 09:14
Originally posted by Ade

now are you coming to a South Coast Seminar? [/B]

Errr, actually..... no. :(

But I know I would LIKE it :) if I did :D

(actually I'd be the first on the list for attention from any St Johns ambulancemen that were passing... having fainted from the exertion of making Gassho Rei). The very thought of Kiai makes me dizzy. As for beer, I get tiddly on half a glass of Dandelion and Burdock.

Ade
14th April 2004, 09:35
So you're not coming to a South Coast Seminar? (there's one on this Sunday, the 18th April 2004, at Southampton University, from 10am till 1pm!) because you're a soft Southern Dandellion and Burdock shandy drinking excuse meister? [/B][/QUOTE]

Tripitaka of AA
14th April 2004, 18:16
.... errr.... yes! That's right. They'll let anyone live in Yorkshire these days. Something to do with trying to maintain the weight distribution across the country. Every time they let a Yorkshireman move South, they take three or four Southerners up North to balance it all up.

Ade
15th April 2004, 11:57
Dear Dave

Methinks you do yourself and injustice, slim boy.

I've heard that a truck load of pie burglars would be needed to balance the other end of your scales, oh portly one!

Salads need never fear, blocks of cheese beware, here comes Mr Stoutly!

Tripitaka of AA
15th April 2004, 12:42
:D

Mr Creosote is my idol. Faith in Chocolate is my religion. Exercise is something that I see the other people do on television...