PDA

View Full Version : What can you do to improve?

Kamiyama
8th April 2004, 08:51
I'm always looking for new and updated methods to improve my taijutsu...
Running with a 70 pound buss tire seems to do the trick.. 75 yards... wow... what a workout. I do six lapes with this one and two laps with a normal car tire...
It burns...
Even more than power cleans...

What ideas do U have?

kamiyama, ralph severe

Airyu
8th April 2004, 10:24
Hello Shihan Ralph,

The tire pull looks intense!

I also do weighted sled drags, but I think the tires will be cheaper than repairing my sled all the time! I also do Log flips, 6 foot Oak log, which ways around 200+ lbs, grab one end, lift and flip it over, repeat the process about 5 - 10 flips for 1 set. I then add the log/sand bag/or stone carry hoisted onto the shoulder, or held at the chest, walk 20 - 50 yards, drop then repeat for several more loops.

How about the rest of you out there??

Train Hard it is the Way!
Steve Lefebvre

drizzt777
8th April 2004, 12:57
This may sound a bit stupid, but I warn you I'm being quite serious.
For my own endurance training I play 2 particular video games, which since I started to play them have helped my cardiovascular very much.
I play for an hour a day Dance Dance Revolution on my Xbox at home, and every week go to the local arcade and play Stepping 3.

Since I started playing them, my endurance has really improved a whole lot. I also play basketball, football, and when I can, raquetball as well.

As far as harder training, I used to train with an army pack full of sand on my back. This usually weighed about 80 lbs., and I still remember my first sensei getting us to do this. I was an 8th kyu, and I went back into Ichimonji no Kamae, performed a great looking jodan uke, then fell backwards like a turtle on its shell. I learned really quick why its so important to have proper body posture and balance.

Oh well, live and learn I guess. God Bless.

:D

Elijah
8th April 2004, 16:08
Just to play 'devils advocate' - Ralph, if you don't mind me asking: How exactly does pulling a heavy tire behind you *improve* your taijutsu?

Please note - this is not an attack of any kind. Im just curious as to your feelings on this issue.

Thanking you in advance,

Elijah McCaughen

Kidoku
8th April 2004, 18:18
Hatsumi Sensei has said that Argentine tango helps improve your taijutsu. This form of dance was supposed to be related to knife fighting. Also like in most pair dancing the partners rely on their structure to read each others movement. I have yet to find the time to join a club, however after a seminar I attended all of us went to a tango club and gave it a try. The way your body moves is very much like taijutsu. Moving through your hips and footwork, keeping your head level and body connected are essential movement in this dance style. I can see why Hatsumi Sensei recommends this dance for taijutsu training.

Kamiyama
8th April 2004, 18:32
The log flip sounds very hard.
I've never done that.

I use to walk with a pack, yes, 80 pounds of sand... but the stress on the spine and knees seemed to out weight the progress in doing so.

How does stressful workouts help taijutsu?
Let's see.........................................................
The question is how could it NOT help your living skills in so many areas that how to begin explaining them would take pages..
The mere stress of pulling the tire is way beyond what the body is use to.. the power it builds in the hips, abs, legs... is wonderful..

Here is a photo of the dragon I ride too I have at the academy..
It really works the wind...
I enjoy it for the hip and knee work it gets me for better movementand control of the movement of taijutsu.
You can find these types of equipment in most gyms too.

Has anyone tried kettlebells or clubbells?

kamiyama, ralph severe

Kamiyama
8th April 2004, 18:49
Pulling a tire takes around 20 min... once a week..
Doing aerobics on the machine takes up hour a week..
Heavybag hitting takes 20 to 30 min a week...
Hitting weapons on targets takes 20 min.. once a week..
Football training takes one hour a week...
Playing football takes 90 min.. or less of play a week..
Over all training - teaching in bujutsu in class takes6 hours a week..
Kickboxing.. one hour a week..
Weights.. one to four hours a week..

I have time for the internet too.. so why not.. ? I almost never watch more than 30 min to an hour of TV a day.. why not ake some time.. say one to two hours a day to play on the internet?

kamiyama, ralph severe

Lee Mc'pherson
8th April 2004, 19:35
Hi guys try not to start a flame war ok!
As to excercise there are so many things you can do.
I think the more cardio the better so running 3-4 times a week for 30-60 minutes each timeat a good pace 3-4 kliks per hour.
Heavy bag work about 40 minutes a week about 7- 10 minutes at a time.
Then for strength isometric excerices ( holding arms stretched while holding light weight 2-8 kilos for 3-6 minutes at a time ) same for the legs deep stances held for a period of time.
Pull ups push ups the more the merrier LOL.
Randori is good for buiding up strength ( all the tension).
And a limited weight regime few kilos many reps.
And of course tons of other stuff but that gives you a basic idea.
P.S
Lets not forget that a good diet is a must ( but personally i always screw that up some i'm 20 kilos over weight )
And of cource the best excersice of all is SEX LOL.

Tamdhu
8th April 2004, 19:46
Um...pushups?

...With a VW Microbus parked on my back! Yeah!

Now THAT'S a workout!

; )

Tamdhu
8th April 2004, 19:53
Just to play 'devils advocate' - Ralph, if you don't mind me asking: How exactly does pulling a heavy tire behind you *improve* your taijutsu?

All humor and gleeful snarking aside, this sort of exercise can really help to build a STABLE platform for your taijutsu. The body movement involved in dragging an object in that manner requires good posture and body dynamics, and doing that sort of exercise can really help you to instinctively fine-tune your movement with lots of immediate feedback as to how you're doing.

I, of course, don't need to do this sort of exercise at all...

...I've been carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders and dragging my feet for years.

(boom-CRASH! ba-dump)

R Erman
9th April 2004, 02:49
I'm afraid I'm pretty conventional. I do pushups(both standard and hindu). I do freestanding squats. I run and bike when I can. I grapple. I have a stress ball that I use for grip exercises when sitting on my butt in front of the computer. I also have a weight attached by a rope to a section of stick that I roll up for more grip strength. And I do a lot of suburi training.

Noodles
9th April 2004, 03:18
What's suburi training?

choombatta
9th April 2004, 03:54
Originally posted by Noodles
What's suburi training?

Doing all the things you'd do to train with a bokken, but substitute 'bokken' for a large heavy table leg sized piece of wood.

Airyu
9th April 2004, 10:12
Hello Again,

Some years ago I ran across a kettlebell in the old stinky gym I was in, tried a few exercises with it, very good workouts.

The clubbells, just to try them out , I made a pair out of aluminum bats and shot, very good for grip strength and total body fluidity, awesome to train with. (I will probably pick up a pair soon)

I work balance drills on either basketball or Swiss ball, sitting, kneeling standing and grappling positional drills. Also have worked on a 4 X 4 balance beam, various Yoga positions also will help develop your kinesthesic perception.

Anyone doing ropework (skipping rope that is) as a part of their overall conditioning program?

There are 80 or so conditioning drills up on our school website at www.Bujinkandojo.net , please feel free to download them at any time.

Train Hard it is the Way!

Steve Lefebvre

DWeidman
9th April 2004, 16:31
Originally posted by Airyu
Anyone doing ropework (skipping rope that is) as a part of their overall conditioning program?

Steve Lefebvre

Yes. :-)

-Daniel

MakotoDojo
9th April 2004, 18:59
Originally posted by DWeidman
Yes. :-)

-Daniel

I have only seen Daniel on Video, but as far as I can tell, he is ripped! A Bruce lee type build, lean but pure muscle, very acrobatic as well.

John Haag
10th April 2004, 06:23
That tire thing looks intense.
Here's something I used to do that upped my physical conditioning quite a bit, but be advised: bad joints? Don't do it!

At most sporting goods places you can buy two products that will give you an infinite array of ways to enhance your physical conditioning... really, you are only limited by your imagination.
#1: a 15# medicine ball.
#2: an adjustable weight-vest (from 5#-45#) (haven't seen a vest go much over 50#, but I guess it'd be possible)

Here's the most intense training I ever did!! --> I ran on the beach in a zig-zag pattern (with sharp zigs and zags)with the weight vest at 20# while carrying the 15# medicine ball. After every 3rd sharp turn I'd throw the medicine ball up and forward with all my might, then sprint to it (not THAT far really)pick it up on the run and keep going down the beach. People watching thought I was either crazy or silly...I really don't care. It got me sword-bitin tough back then.

To answer the question about how does intense physical exertion make your Taijutsu better... Good question.
In combat or most any other situation calling for "survival" we are called on by those circumstances to reach down deep inside and pull forth strength that is uncommon in most people. Maybe it's not even physical strength (though it often is), but mental toughness and emotional fortitude. IF you never FORCE yourself to reach down deep inside in your training, then when you are in that moment of NEED, you will be reaching into the dark...where you've never been. Maybe our friend will never need to pull a tire, maybe I'll never need to run a zig-zag in soft sand while weighed down...but the experience teaches you about yourself and forces you to reach inside and pull out more than you'd almost ever need otherwise.
Even if you don't agree with these reasons, try this one....
I've never slept as soundly as I did on the evening after these grueling runs!!!

Your Brother
John

Don Roley
10th April 2004, 13:19
Originally posted by drizzt777
This may sound a bit stupid, but I warn you I'm being quite serious.
For my own endurance training I play 2 particular video games, which since I started to play them have helped my cardiovascular very much.
I play for an hour a day Dance Dance Revolution on my Xbox at home, and every week go to the local arcade and play Stepping 3.

My wife got a similar program for Playstation 2 and lost so much weight over a few months that she got written up in a fitness magazine.

Endurance is very important IMO. If you are talking about self defense, you are talking about getting home alive and not beating the other guy into a pulp. And a lot of times getting home alive can be done best by running like hell. Even more often the same goal can be achieved by knowing when to walk away from somethign or avoid a bad situation.

I do not think great amounts of muscle really has much to do with taijutus, but endurance is a big thing to develop. Skipping rope, long walks, videodance games, whatever.

MICKEY MULLINS
11th April 2004, 14:56
Hi guys,

I have to agree with Don here as endurance is a more important factor than raw muscle(although it is a plus).

I walk alot,I mean alot cover 2-5 miles every night at work,in some of the worst conditions.You see I am a miner(okay,but it pays the bills)so I get to tromp thru mud,water,rock,kneeling,squatting,can you say Shikko comes in handy to keep the spine correct,also in lower top(around 46-50" you learn real fast not to crouch the spine(after extended periods of time this will put paramount fatigue and stress on your body: ).Also I get to wear around 20 pounds of weight around my waist(caplight,SCSR,tools).I get to lift pallets worth of 50 pound bags of limestone rock dust.Cinderblocks also teach correct alignment(build a brattice anyone?).At home I do light jogging(no contact with the heels).And some nyoibo work,as Ralph likes to do with his bus tire I "caveman" my nyoibo for 30-40 yards ,then doing nage drills,and something similar to the end for end flips.I also do sort of a furigata with my legs,torso,and arms.Oh yeah I train some too.: )I have three large collies to play with 1 border collie,and three kids age 9-2 to chase and wrestle with: ).I hit my trees and 2 liter bottles filled with water suspended by ropes(Taisabaki here too).I DO NOT TRAIN on mats as ninja:o like grass,rocks, and nature.
How should I improve?
OK Before anyone asks"Where did you get your nyoibo?"I made it from ash,and you can too, get to skinning the bark off a 6.5'log wood of your choosing.

Oh you also learn to be observant and aware in a mine too.
But my lovely wife says "He does his karatee: ) stuff.
OUT

Mickey Mullins

Jim_Jude
13th April 2004, 02:42
Vyayam (Royal Court) hight reps, & then low reps w/ weight vest. Covers all the bases.

Kamiyama
13th April 2004, 04:50
I agree that aerobic power is far better than muscle power... but... when you have someone on you or need muscle power... don't set aside reason over judgement.

kamiyama, ralph severe

John Haag
13th April 2004, 06:13
Originally posted by Kamiyama
I agree that aerobic power is far better than muscle power... but... when you have someone on you or need muscle power... don't set aside reason over judgement.

kamiyama, ralph severe
Hey Ralph...
hope you don't take offense at this, but...
Your kinda a big feller aintya?

How do you see that affecting your Taijutsu execution?
thanks
John

Jim_Jude
13th April 2004, 07:22

kamiyama, ralph severe

"don't set aside reason over judgement." Oh-kay. Now, just what the hell does that mean exactly? Because I'm fairly literate (just ask anyone) but that just doesn't make any sense. Could someone that is NOT dragging a tire behind them explain that to me?

Kamiyama
13th April 2004, 09:02
"Your kinda a big feller aintya?"

Why yes John I am, about 315 right now at 6 feet and 43 years old.

"How do you see that affecting your Taijutsu execution?"

Well John I'm not sure what you are asking me. Why not ask a direct question.. just go for it. Why not ask in detail what you wish to know.
If you're shy then why not go to my web site and get a few of the DVD from Robert.. see for yourself.

"Could someone that is NOT dragging a tire behind them explain that to me?"

That's not a tire.. it's 70 pounds of rubber and steel being dragged on a street. It helps with speed during football. Playing a forward position I must have quick starts to beat the backfield players to the ball.
It also helps with jumping, squats, throws, tackles, posture, walking with a heavy backpack in the woods, rappelling, running through buildings and shooting, grappling on the ground, standing grappling, etc.. things like that.

"don't set aside reason over judgement."

Simple enough...
Human beings can make two choices,
One.. using their judgement... or opinion.. which is the base of faith and believe.
Two.. using knowledge.. which is the base of reason.

If you need more help just ask.

kamiyama, ralph severe

nuhaj
13th April 2004, 15:38
Mr. Severe

I started Salsa dancing classes with my wife for my taijutsu. I have never been a dancer, but she loves to dance. I thought that having a martial arts back ground would make it easier to learn. Yeah, I was wrong. Its tough. I 'm starting to enjoy it now, and I feel it has made a little difference in my taijutsu. We'll see in the future.

Besides that walking, ukemi and suburi are main things that I work on.

Gambatte,
Jahun

Kamiyama
13th April 2004, 19:50
I'd still like to see a wicked spin kick.

Robert, you can't really see much in a photo..

When alking to Hatsumi sensei about the basic word 'taijuts'.. he said it was all movement.
Regardless of just the body or the body with a tool.

I asked him because of my menkyo.. ninpo taijutsu.
I was asking why it wasn't ninpo happo biken..
He said the kanji was very simple.. drew one for me.. and explained why it was unarmed and weaponry..

I believe this is why he uses budo taijutsu.... as he did with ninpo taijutsu..

kamiyama, ralph severe

gozanryu
13th April 2004, 20:11
In addition to chi gung and The basis MA exercises I : Run (jog), paddle allot (kayak in the ocean), do some weights (dead lift, cleans, squats, benchpress, upright rows. .more the gross movement stuff) trying to incorporate muscles and movements in strength training that I will use on the mat. I find the strength traing advantageous, especially in the ground work. Even though not very "martial arty" sometimes it pays to be able just to snatch somebody off thier feet, or toss em, kinda "captures the mind" so to speak, also, if I stay flexible, I think the additional strength really pays off in the punches. The aerobic stuff is as Don said, no replacement for endurance. That is exactly 2 cents worth.

Kamiyama
13th April 2004, 21:12
martial arty........... Tony what does this mean?

kamiyama, ralph severe

DWeidman
13th April 2004, 22:12
martial arty........... Tony what does this mean?

kamiyama, ralph severe

That was Ken Gardon.

Tony Montana is the person who was quoted in Ken's Tagline...

gozanryu
13th April 2004, 23:26
"Even though not very "martial arty" sometimes it pays to be able just to snatch somebody off thier feet, or toss em, kinda "captures the mind" so to speak, also, if I stay flexible, I think the additional strength really pays off in the punches. "

What I mean is, often Masters, particularly Chinese will say that Physical power and strength are not necessary. So I mean "martial arty" in the sense that often physical strength movement in MA is not "pretty" like say, a well executed Tai Chi movement, or beautiful, flowing Aiki...but it works. I am not a bagua, or internal MA master, so I can use all the external (physical) strength I can get. Does this make sense to anyone but me?

R Erman
13th April 2004, 23:44
Does this make sense to anyone but me?

It should make sense to everyone. I think Ralph is probably intimating that strength is *very* martial, and that its downplay in asian disciplines should be questioned/explored, as this phenomenon is a relatively recent one.

Jim_Jude
14th April 2004, 00:09
"One doesn't need size, strength, speed, or extreme flexibility. One needs endurance, great technique, & a certain amount of pain tolerance" - Gene LeBell

Now, who wants to argue wit' da MAIN MAN !?!

John Haag
14th April 2004, 03:32
"Your kinda a big feller aintya?"

Why yes John I am, about 315 right now at 6 feet and 43 years old.

"How do you see that affecting your Taijutsu execution?"

Well John I'm not sure what you are asking me. Why not ask a direct question.. just go for it. Why not ask in detail what you wish to know.
If you're shy then why not go to my web site and get a few of the DVD from Robert.. see for yourself.

Ralph-
I didn't mean to seem insulting. I find it interesting how different martial artists have to adapt or taylor their art to their physiological needs. For instance one of my students is a pretty big guy, not quite as big as yourself, but big. I think he's 6'2" and 270 Lbs.
For him...
Kicks? Not so good, he finds them difficult. No problem, my style doesn't really rely on them much at all. Certain stance changes are harder than others, so we've been trying to work around that he's got fallen arches from years of being heavier than he should be. Then there are also the strengths... Those thick wrists make his weapons work very solid, not so great on the finer points of blade manipulation...but when his club hits you....YOU get the force---not so much recoil up into his limbs. He can take a very decent shot, unless you go for his legs or angle a shot to take advantage of the contour of his pony-keg. ;)

But all of this is my student in my art. I was wondering if there were certain Kamae (or anything else) that were better or worse for you due to your larger build. Do certain weapons seem more advantageous than others? Do you find your ability to slip a strike lessoned or reduces due to girth? What about rolling/rebounding? I'd imagine that the Jutaijutsu is quite powerful! Just wondering.

Please understand, I'm sure you move just fine and can execute your art within the standards your instructor(s) expect; I don't need a DVD or others opinion...I'll take you at your word. Just wondering about a "Big Man's" experience in Ninjutsu.

Your Brother
John

gozanryu
14th April 2004, 03:39
Maybe when I get as good as "Judo Gene" I can dispense with the 'snatching and tossing" :cool: Seriously though, I think most MA people I have been around (thats allota folks) have always had the "strength phase" Whn I was a kid, my SHotokan Sensei would do pushups and dips like people do aerobics, my gung fu teacher the same, last time I saw them (albeit 30years later) they were doing Aikido and Tai Chi, respectively! hmmmm. . .

Kamiyama
14th April 2004, 04:29
“Ralph- I didn't mean to seem insulting.”

John, I’m not troubled or nor do I find it insulting to ask me any questions.
I just like direct questions. Here are a few points from your statements…
”Kicks?”……
John, I don’t have a problem kicking at all. My rather large body, 33 inch thighs, the joints are very flexible in the hip area. On the tapes I mentioned you could view me kicking as well as many other things. I would tell your large student to get a few of them so he can view someone else doing things from a different point of view.
As a matter of fact kicking has always been a very strong point of mine. I have put aside many of the savate and northern style kicks I use to do for more basic and safe styles like wing chun, pananjakman and natural felt methods.
“Stances?”……
I do not use a stand at all so I don’t have a problem with photo taking postures. All I do is within harmony with motion of defense to offense.
“Wrist?”
Yes, my forearms are just over 16 inches. This does give a great deal of fulcrum and node to move from. Of course this allows me to hit much harder than a man smaller as I’m sure your friend has found.
You may ask him the method he finds most effective to him. Like linear, swing or whip for example. I use almost all whipping methods with my strikes.
“Impact?”
I word the bullwhip for my dexterity in the wrist, elbows and shoulders. This aids me in the circular motion for maximum power transfer into my target. Almost every time I move with a strike it is with a circle from a fulcrum or node. This goes for weaponry too.
So yes, a larger man can have a great deal more power with the tools he brings to the mat.
“Shock?”
Yes, a larger framed man can take good shots. Mainly if they train for shock the impact becomes a less mentally.
“Weaponry?”
I can work almost any type of weaponry put in my hand. There is a list on my web site under private Japanese weaponry.. look at this.. all of these are very natural for me.
Of course with the above normal power from the understanding of the human body I can use heavier weaponry. This can be from experience with the large frame and from weight lifting or the silly dragging tires… around behind me. I work a great deal on dexterity with weaponry. It can be from flipping a rifle to popping a bullwhip to working a chain. No problem. But also I have been playing karate for a few years too.
“Girth?”
I have no problem.. if I did I would have my butt kicked. I don’t. Meaning ??? I must be able to move well. Avoiding being hit has never caused me a problem. I don’t know many who have near the footwork speed or quickness I do. And the snake type motion to avoid hits.
“Ukemi?”
At my size.. even Hatsumi sensei has spoke about my body skills in ukemi. With that.. what else can be said. But to please Jim I will say I work a great deal on ground engagement motion. With weaponry too.
Maybe ask Mark Harper about my ukemi. He post here on E-budo.
“Kansetsu?”
Yes, I can break limbs very easy and pin body parts or catch them without problems.
During BJJ training over the years I could crush almost 100% of my partners by catches alone. I would almost never have to apply the pressure of a lock or choke.

Please feel fre to ask anything else..

kamiyama, ralph severe

*edited by Oni to remove 'bait'.

gozanryu
14th April 2004, 14:21
I really like your style Severe Sensei!
During BJJ training over the years I could crush almost 100% of my partners by catches alone. I would almost never have to apply the pressure of a lock or choke

Thats what I'm talkin about. Simple, concise, and to the point.

Jim_Jude
15th April 2004, 01:44
Sorry, don't know what happened w/ that last post. & I don't feel like re-typing all that so I'll summerize.

More often than not, BIG is not better. Read "The Tao of Pooh" & "The Te of Piglet" by Benjamin Hoff. We all remember Indiana Joaes reaction to a really big guy w/ a sword? He shot him. A rather possible "real world" solution. Or the big German that was kicking his teeth in? He used some fancy footwork to lure him in front of a plane prop & the guy killed hisself. But that's strategy, using your head.
Me, I'd rather be like Gene: optimize the package I'm in, with M.A. training, endurance training, calisthenics, etc, & let them underestimate me. Not present such a big target that in a real world scenario they're rather shoot me than anything else. That's just is not the smart way to do things. Because the Takamatsu-den arts aren't about "rolling", they're in all eventuality about saving & possibly taking lives. Some people wanna roll, & for them that's the end all, be all. It's a sport. But we should be training to survive, evade, subdue, & maybe kill. Gene LeBell talks about beginning his Grappling training at 7 years old with Ed "The Strangler" Lewis, about training with some grapplers that weighed up to 300lbs, when he was 160lbs at the most. & he says "Endurance, Technique, & Pain Tolerance are most important to a grappler." & this wasn't modern wrestling, this was Grappling where you could strike, use heel locks, ankle locks, armbars, back locks, neck locks, tweak the nose or choke him out. Damn near anything short of pulling a knife was in.
The smaller & harder the target is, even if you can manage to hit it, it could just shrug it off, look you in the eye, & say,"Is dat all you got?" That's very disconcerting, especially if he has skills & compact power of his own, because by the time you figure it out, it may be too late.
I guess the question here is, do you wanna look pretty? or do you wanna be an azzkicker? because sometimes azzkickers are pretty, but even fewer pretty boys kick azz.

Jim_Jude
15th April 2004, 02:11
If you know Nagato Sensei, I'm sure he's told you how he went on an extreme diet, losing alot of weight & size, because he realized that being really big & strong was not conducive with learning & performing this art. & this was back in the "real training" days of the "real" kick-!!! ninja training. Now, why would he do that? Especially now, we see him as he gets older, & he's one of the premier Japanese Shihan. I can't think of anyone that would pick a fight with him. & I know some people that are bigger than him.

Are we wanting to just stick with what we know & possibly defend it with size & strength, or are we here to learn? I really don't know, reading some of these recent posts.

& if we don't want to learn anymore than we know about the Takamatsu-den arts, & continue to post here, stating as many defaming comments as we do about Japanese Ninpo, Bujinkan training, & Japanese people in general, then why are we continuing to post? & what more do we have to offer here besides volumes of subtle flaming?

gozanryu
15th April 2004, 03:00
" guess the question here is, do you wanna look pretty? or do you wanna be an azzkicker? because sometimes azzkickers are pretty, but even fewer pretty boys kick azz."

Actually I guess (Jim, you always complicate the threads by suggesting the posters actually think!:D ) Neither. I want to train for that one situation that hardly ever transpires. The one where you absolutely, positively, have to deliver. I've been In a couple of hairy situations that could have resulted in death. I was just to young, stupid, and lucky, and they worked out in my favor. No, Jim, I want to survive. That reminds me of a story. Once, I was talking with a Aikido Sensei, waxing philisophic about my take on "the way of peace" I said:"Chiba Sensei, O-sensei seemed so peaceful and relaxed in his movement." Chiba said " thats because he could kill you whenever he chooses, neh?" I am sure I laughed that nervous laugh that moronic Americans like me do when they are trying to make a Japanese think they "know" what was just said.

It is interesting to hear people who have spent years training in Japanes Arts, some of them with Japanes instructors, talk smack about the very same art some years later. What IS that tendancy all about? When I was a kid, my Sensei would brook absolutely no "smack talking " of any kind. If you where the guy at the tournament who was stupid enough to say "theres the Kenpo guys, they cant be any good, Ed Parker was only REALLY a brown belt anyway" (usually this would be while proudly displaying your jr. brown belt) he (our Teacher, would expell you from the school for "bad manners" and "no rheespek" (respect) learned allot from that cat.

ebudo
16th April 2004, 14:18
Ralph,

Absolutely tish tosh! (poppycock!)

Soke (in case you dont remember who that it - Hatsumi sensi) has always stated that you should take the principles - rather than techniques.

I have not seen you move (and frankly I cant be bothered to !) - but from most your pics pumping your muscles (as my old teacher used to say "Hes not tough - hes tense") but from your posts (and quite a few of them !!) its a case of you do not seemed to have grasp the principles ! - If I'm wrong then I apologise.

Graham

Kokoro
16th April 2004, 14:30
Graham

Soke (in case you dont remember who that it - Hatsumi sensi) has always stated that you should take the principles - rather than techniques.

This is the error the majority of practisioners make, most are either too busy collecting Kata or are too busy ensuring that they don't practice Kata, because their old and of no use. Within each is a principle that is as useful now as when first documented if you willing to look.

Unfortunately most are not

Travis Ward
16th April 2004, 16:48
To just add in some stuff about the kettlebells...

This past summer, I acquired a bit of money and bought two kettlebells and the DVD instructional program from dragondoor.com. I was surprised to find that kettlebells really are a great workout, and almost all the dynamic movements are centered around...hip power! The idea is not to muscle the weight up, but use body mechanics, powered by yours hips, to get the weight up. In fact, it is reccomended that you "practice" with kettlebells the way you would practice throwing a ball or swing a bat...not make a workout out of it, but working on technique, fine tuning, etc. Give it a try!

gozanryu
16th April 2004, 17:11
Does not Severe hold a Menkyo from Hatsumi?

Kamiyama
16th April 2004, 17:12
Travis, Yes.. kettlebells are really great.
I found them to be a real workout...

I do not use them anymore.

kamiyama, ralph severe

IKE
16th April 2004, 17:21
Graham, you are wrong. I have seen various tapes of Mr. Severe move and hes damn good. Not tense, smooth.

Robert Miller
16th April 2004, 17:41
Originally posted by gozanryu
Does not Severe hold a Menkyo from Hatsumi?

No, but he'd like to "kyojitsu" you into believing that! Ralph does not have "menkyo kaiden" in Togakure ryu Ninpo Taijutsu, but 9th dan rank. Ralph uses "menkyo" to refer to his 9th dan certification; in this context, a 9th kyu could say he posseses "menkyo".
About Ralph's movement, I'm sure he's good. He's been training for a long time, and makes his living doing martial arts.
Unforunately, he also likes to lie about his affiliation to make his ninjitsoo seem authentic; which is shameful, but the norm amongst career martial artists. I forget where I saw it, but you can do a search on "internet soke's" and what not, and find criteria for budo phakery (Sharp Phil, maybe?)...R. Severe epitomizes this, uh...use of "kyojitsu". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

gozanryu
16th April 2004, 20:15
Robert, thanks for the info on the Menkyo. However, why would you address a 9 Dan in Bujinkan Budo Taijustsu as a Charlatan? I am just curious. It seems a little disrespectful. Are you a 10th Dan, or Menkyo Holder, or perhaps a Shihan? I am just trying to figure out your "angle" on your attack. I read Severes site. What is he lyeing about in his claims of afiliation with the Buj?

drizzt777
16th April 2004, 21:03
You know, given the opportunity I would probably train with Mr. Severe. He voices his opinions, is blunt and to the point. He has trained (apparently) in the Bujinkan for quite some time, and has taken what works for him, and came up with a system he likes to teach.

Didn't this thread start out about ways you can improve? Not ways to verbally bash Ralph Severe or other budoka on the net?

He's a 9th dan, and apparently Soke thought he was good enough for it, or would train to become good enough for the rank in the future. 'Nuff said....atleast by me!

God Bless.

Jim_Jude
17th April 2004, 00:32
But why, Daddy? We're having so much fun.
Besides, if a lil' friendly e-criticism can't help you improve, I don't think dragging a tire will help you in the end.

We look at Taijutsu, an art of spacial awareness, angling, timing, & distancing. Ninja weapons are almost always conceiled or easily hidden. Ninja were compact fighting machines, yet Ralph is enormous, always posting picks of himself lifting weights so that we can all see how strong & powerful he is. How will gargantuan muscle mass improve ability to blend in & dissapear, unless of course you're target is Joe Weider at the Mr. Universe pagent? It won't. We're simply critiquing Ralph's ideas on how to improve at Ninpo Taijutsu. Hatsumi-sensei & his Shihan state that their Taijutsu will allow them to defend themselves to a ripe old age, while Ralph's Kamiyama Happo Bikenjutsu apparently requires you to lift weights in order to have the "ability" to prevail.

It should be apparent to all that we are talking about two completely different things. Hatsumi-sensei says that flow & timing will allow you to prevail. Ralph says lift weights, get really big & strong, & maybe you'll be half as good as me someday. What is the reality of true Ninjutsu? To be an immovable object & an irresistable force, or to strike with precision, skill, & grace, at the right time & to fade away into obscurity? The difference between improving at brawling, or improving your Ninpo Taijutsu skills?

& in all eventuality, we're critiquing Ralph's whole philosophy on how to improve your Ninpo Taijutsu. To train with the sources of the art as long as you can, gaining thru their knowledge & experience, or training for a little while, then dissing them for their training methods & going off starting your own style? Plenty of people know who Ralph is, they've seen him in person & have watched him teach at TaiKai. So why aren't they all flocking to his dojo to learn? Because they don't see what they want, they don't value what he has to say or teach. Because he's not teaching what Hatsumi-sensei is teaching.

If you want to improve your Ralph-style Taijutsu, then lift weights. If you want to improve your Takamatsuden Ninpo Taijutsu, then I advise you to listen to those that represent that art, because it's not Ralph, no matter what he or those loyal to him might like to think. Ralph himself has said "The real training isn't in Japan. It's here in America", while Hatsumi-sensei & his students say,"It's in Japan or in Dojos of those that go to Japan on a regular basis." Ralph may be improving his Ralph-style, but most people here want to learn Takamatsuden arts, & those arts have little if any to do with gaining muscle strength & extreme athletic fitness in order to defend yourself.

Okay. I'm done.:p

Don Roley
17th April 2004, 13:01
But trying to keep to the original topic of improving self and physical conditioning, the problem with strength can be summed up a bit with this article (http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/muscle.html) from Marc MacYoung.

I have seen this happen in the Bujinkan and other arts. Big, strong guys just use their strength and never have to learn the subtle aspects of the art. They don't mean to in most cases, but it seems that the more strength they have, the less skill they gain. They do pretty well as long as their strength and youthfullness hold out, but in the end they have nothing to fall back on. The students they have that are smaller than them never learn how to use their body well. You can look at Robert Bussey, Frank Dux and others to see how some guys look really good for a few years and then have nothing when they get on in years. Compare that with some of the Japanese shihan who still scare people in their old age and small stature.

It has already been mentioned about how Nagato lost muscle mass in order to learn good taijutsu. What I think should be pointed out is that Nagato is big for a Japanese but he is not as big as most of the guys who train under him. Despite this, he still is able to beat them silly if he wants. Ever see Ed Lomax compared with Nagato? In terms of strength and power, Lomax should win hands down. But he trains under Nagato because Nagato has the skills to beat him silly despite the differences in size.

*edited to remove inflamatory content.

Jim_Jude
17th April 2004, 21:49
I don't disagree with Ralph dragging tires. He can do what he wants. The issue was what improves Taijutsu. & it's been well known for a long time that relying on physical strength when your technique is lacking DOESN'T IMPROVE YOUR TECHNIQUE. By the rational you stated, I could say that picking my nose with each finger alternately helps with my Taijutsu. & no one can argue that fact as true or false, or at least dubious? Hmmmm...

That being said, Don Roley put it rather concisely, & I don't need to elaborate at all. In fact, more often than not, I agree with Don.

*Edited to remove off topic and removed 'quote'.

George Kohler
19th April 2004, 16:45
Quote from Oni

If you disagree with a moderation decision I have made please use PM. Posts that are hijacking a thread to discuss moderation or any of these policies will be deleted.

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=13840

PwarYuex
28th April 2004, 00:12
Ah well- I do Tae Kwon Do :)

Learning with different people helps me to understand how other people move (taijutsu).

I guess it also improves my taijutsu because my general health improves with the cardio workout.

Essentially for me, Tae Kwon Do is exercise.

I find bike riding and swimming are good for you health, except a bite time consuming.

(This could be taken the wrong way, but I'll say it). Why don't you spend the time losing some muscle and *er* fat mass. This will surely improve your taijutsu!

Jim_Jude
28th April 2004, 07:47
I concur. You are a gentleman & a scholar.

Cool Avatar, BTW.