PDA

View Full Version : Kempo-Kenpo Questions

KenpoKev
24th October 2000, 05:45
I am curious if there is any relationship between the Shorinji Kempo system and any of the "American Kenpo" flavors. (Kosho, Parker, etc.)

What little of the Shorinji I have observed appears to have a number of similarities to some of the "earlier" variations from Parker and Juchnik.

Please, I am not posting this inquiry to raise anyone's "dander" or insult in any way, I am simply curious.

Also, would anyone please comment on the spiritual aspects of the Shorinji system. I have noted that there appears to be a great emphasis on spirituality in the Shorinji Kempo system.

Thanks you for your thoughts.
Respectfully,
Kevin Schaller

Gary Dolce
24th October 2000, 18:26
Kevin,

It is a reasonable question and one that is often asked in the US given that the "American Kenpo/Kempo" styles are better known in the martial arts community here. The answer is that there is no obvious connection between Shorinji Kempo and these other martial arts. Shorinji Kempo has a completely different lineage and history from the various forms of kempo/kenpo that trace their history back to James Mitose. Shorinji Kempo was founded in Japan in 1947 by Doshin So, who had studied both Chinese and Japanese martial arts before and during the war.

I suspect that any similarities that you have noticed between Shorinji Kempo and other forms of kempo are not indicative of a recent connection - either the result of convergence (different people coming up with similar solutions to the same problem), or possibly the result of a shared history in the long distant past. In my own limited experience with practioners of other forms of kempo and reading books on those forms, I conclude that the differences are far greater than the similarities.

As for the spiritual aspects of Shorinji Kempo, they are indeed a fundamental part of what we do. Doshin So's motivation in founding Shorinji Kempo was primarily for self-development - to help people develop the strength and courage to work to improve society and to help others. He developed a philosophy that he based on his interpretation of early Buddhist thought which he called Kongo Zen. This philosophy is the basis for what we do. To practice Shorinji Kempo, you do not have to be a Buddhist, but you do have to accept the underlying philosphy that governs how and why we practice.

I hope this answers your questions.

KenpoKev
24th October 2000, 20:16
Thank you for your comments.

I must confess that I have noted a number of similarities in a variety of arts, in particular when highly advanced pratitioners demonstrate material. As many a grandfather have stated, the higher you go the more similar the view.

As my training initally had traditional roots, then onto American Kenpo, then back to traditional (15 years later) I have found that I love the "blend".

In my spiritual journey, I have also found the remarkable compliment that martial training has added to my spiritual life. Those skills and discipline founded in my training have added a great deal more to my faith.

It is interesting that many of us who take different paths come to such similar conclusions. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge and the relationship of our "arts".

Respectfully,
Kevin Schaller