PDA

View Full Version : On grip

nizamuddin
8th April 2004, 21:04
Dear Forum Members,

Greetings. I have a simple question regarding grip in modern Kendo (with which I have a minimum of experience) in contrast to traditional Japanese sword arts, with which I have no experience at all.

In Kendo, when striking with a Shinai, one tightens the grip an instant before striking almost as though one were wringing a towel. I was also taught to do the same in suburi practice with bokken. My question, is this done in traditional Japanese sword arts as well, whether training with a bokken or shinken? Are there, perhaps, differences from ryu to ryu, as well?

Thank you,
S. N. Ahmad

Shimura
8th April 2004, 21:08
Tenouchi, or wringing the towel as everyone calls it, is pretty common througout all JSA. At least from my experience with kendo and MJER Iai, I have found that tenouchi is tenouchi.

hyaku
8th April 2004, 23:49
I would have said no, its not the same.
But its a question that may promote various views.

The shape of the tsuka of a shinai and even its weight, balance is not the same as a bokuto or sword.

Even if we wanted to use it the same grip, we could not. With the round tsuka we can use a twisting wringing action. Add to this the fact that most strikes are from an arms more or less straight out extended forward movement.
Nevertheless a senior level in Kendo will allow you to experiment. A hachidan I know interestingly favors kote with almost no palms so he can "feel" his shinai

But consider the other weapons with an eliptical shape. There are extreme amounts of depth in cuts. In some cases any tension in right hand will constrict a flowing, cutting action. You will find in some older ryu a sliding action of the right hand towards the left is allowed.

Hope this helps.

nizamuddin
9th April 2004, 05:32
Originally posted by hyaku
I would have said no, its not the same.
But its a question that may promote various views.

The shape of the tsuka of a shinai and even its weight, balance is not the same as a bokuto or sword.

Even if we wanted to use it the same grip, we could not. With the round tsuka we can use a twisting wringing action. Add to this the fact that most strikes are from an arms more or less straight out extended forward movement.
Nevertheless a senior level in Kendo will allow you to experiment. A hachidan I know interestingly favors kote with almost no palms so he can "feel" his shinai

But consider the other weapons with an eliptical shape. There are extreme amounts of depth in cuts. In some cases any tension in right hand will constrict a flowing, cutting action. You will find in some older ryu a sliding action of the right hand towards the left is allowed.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply, Hyaku Sensei. So it would seem that tenouchi is not always tenouchi, so to speak? By the way, I never liked the round tsuka shinai and I always use an oval/elliptical one. When you speak of the "sliding action of the right hand" do you mean that it slides down the tsuka?