PDA

View Full Version : Style similarity

Loki
10th April 2004, 16:49
Hi everyone. This popped into my head the other day and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I know there are several different styles of Karate, but how different are they from eachother? I'm not conserned with specifics here, I'm talking more about the basic principles and body movements. Are the styles of Karate really that different when you get down to the nuts and bolts of body mechanics? If so, how do they differ?
Thanks. :D

will szlemko
10th April 2004, 18:34
Hi,

You would actually need to be more specific, there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of karate styles. Of the "big 4" Shotokan, Goju, Shito, Wado there are more similarities than differences (at least based on my experience with them). Some other "minor" styles are very different.

will

R_Garrelts
10th April 2004, 19:30
Originally posted by Loki
Are the styles of Karate really that different when you get down to the nuts and bolts of body mechanics?

No... or yes, depending on who you ask. In general, generalities tend not to hold up too well under scrutiny (yes, I meant to say that ;)). Since there are often as many differences from teacher to teacher as there are from style to style, it is probably more helpful to compare the mechanics emphasized by specific practitioners than to attempt a comparison between styles. Ultimately, though, regardless of how unique someone thinks their technique is, we are still essentially bounded by the same physical laws, and, in that sense, there tends to be a great deal in common between what various teachers do (particularly among those who are very skilled). From what I've seen, the differences that do exist tend to fall into one of several broad categories (this is just off the top of my head and may not be complete):

1. Personal quirks of a particular teacher. That is, those aspects of technique that are not really all that important to a technique's effectiveness. Example: Extending the index finger under the thumb for seiken as seen among some students of Funakoshi Gichin.

2. Techniques that are an outgrowth of (or influenced by) some unique aspect of a particular culture. There are actually a lot of things that could arguably fit in this category but a good example would be iidori (kneeling) techniques in aikido and some other Japanese arts (including some styles of karate). The lack of ground grappling in karate might be another example.

3. Differences in training methods used to develop similar skills. Whether one hits a punching bag or a makiwara, for example, the goal is essentially the same. (There are obviously also some cultural influences here, as well.)

4. Differences in technique that result from a difference in purpose. For example, armored grappling in older Japanese styles tends to be quite different from techniques taught to Peking opera performers. Different purposes often necessitate different methods.

5. Differences of emphasis (subtlety over intensity, for instance). These often relate to one of the previous categories, but I thought I'd throw it in here anyway.

6. Stuff that just plain doesn't work. After all, if a given technique or idea is worthwhile, it isn't too outlandish to think that people in an unrelated culture (or style) might have come up with the same thing. Quite often I have noticed that the reason some things are particularly "unique" is simply because no one in their right mind would do it that way. This isn't always the case, of course, but anytime you are exposed to something that "no one else does," it's a good rule of thumb to ask yourself "why not?"

Regards,

Richard

Gene Williams
10th April 2004, 20:13
This is a silly question that has been discussed here ad nauseum. What is the point of asking it?

Loki
10th April 2004, 22:03
Thanks for the input.

Sorry Gene, I haven't been to e-budo for awhile. Before I ask anymore silly questions I'll make sure to consult with you first. After all, I wouldn't want to offend anyones delicate sensibilities.

Gene Williams
10th April 2004, 22:41
God, all that and a smart !!!, too.

Goju Man
10th April 2004, 23:32
Originally posted by Gene Williams
Gene, you've been real ornery lately. You've been in the SFA too long.:D

Gene Williams
11th April 2004, 00:17
I ain't gettin' enough, Manny:D

Rob Alvelais
11th April 2004, 00:41
Gene,

"You ain't getting enought Manny?" WTF?

:eek:

Rob
(running and hiding)

Gene Williams
11th April 2004, 11:37
Rob, where have you been?:shot:

Rob Alvelais
11th April 2004, 15:14
Rob, where have you been?:shot:

Practicing kata, like all real karate-ka. :laugh: :moon: :wave:

Goju Man
11th April 2004, 16:53
Originally posted by Rob Alvelais
Gene,

"You ain't getting enought Manny?" WTF?

:eek:

Rob
(running and hiding)

I don't know about Gene, but I can't ever seem to get enough.:eek:

Schlagenbumler
11th April 2004, 18:02

How mature!
Answer the man politely or don't reply to the topic. There is no reason to chase people away from the board.

Gene Williams
11th April 2004, 23:00
Hell, another newbie who wants to tell everyone how to act:D Is that you showing us how to do bo kata up there in the corner?:rolleyes:

Rob Alvelais
11th April 2004, 23:12
Hell, another newbie who wants to tell everyone how to act:D Is that you showing us how to do bo kata up there in the corner?:rolleyes:

He'd have a tad more credibility, if he'd sign his posts as explicitly stated in the forum rules

Rob

n2shotokai
12th April 2004, 04:02
Okay everyone. Lent is over so all of you who have given up sex for lent can go get some. Tomorrow we will all be one Happy Family again. Go Gene and Manny :D I'm already running ......

Markaso
12th April 2004, 05:19
Back to the thread .... without specifics.....It seems that Go Ju Ryu is comprised of more compact motions than Wado Ryu.As for Shitou from what I have seen most of their techniques are with an open hand as compared to Wadoor Go Jyu. These are the things that I have seen where I practice.

Hope this helps

Goju Man
12th April 2004, 12:52
You would never know it from fighting, but goju is a very strong system with a lot of tearing and grappling techniques. Although it has parry and tai sabaki movements, it is a "stronger" looking style with very powerful movements.

Okay Steve, I am ready to go now.:D