PDA

View Full Version : Dojo

JGApprentice
12th April 2004, 23:08
Hi, my name is Zac Hubert and I am new here. This is a broad topic, so I didn't know where to post, I couldn't find a dojo locator here. And it's a bit difficult to classify under one of the sub-sections. If however, this is out of place, please feel free to move it.

I live in Stuart, FL, yeah most people in this state don't know where it is. It's in Martin Country, around Jupiter, Indiantown, St. Lucie, Ft. Pierce, Hobe Sound, etc. I just moved here, so I was hoping to join a local dojo.

I visited two, but couldn't figure out much, because everyone was scattered about, practicing their own drills. And I was a bit timid to ask the instructors any question, in case they are improper issue or not.

I've also managed to explore a few sites in the web about dojos near where I live. I came across one that seemed suspicious, it seemed the site designer was praising a guy named "Grandmaster XXX, invented Shaolin Kempo Karate just over three decades." The art originated in the east, but the grandmaster is not eastern. Not that I am trying to sound unethically stereotypical here, but I thought Shaolin Kempo Karate style is very old to have any recent grandmaster.

So I was hoping if anyone here knew any renowned and qualified instructors in my area? Regardless of the style of the martial art, whether armed (kendo/iaido etc) or unarmed(karate/kung fu etc), any good one would do. Suffice to say, I have little to no experience in Judo from previous institution. Thank you very much for your help and reading this .