PDA

View Full Version : Yoga and Aikido

davoravo
24th October 2000, 11:45
Dear all,
I have been reading a translation of the Tao Te Ching which related Taoism to Yoga and stated that the former probably developed from the latter. This interested me as I have frequently noticed the similarities between Tai Chi and Aikido.

I have just picked up a Yoga book and therein read that Yoga means to "join or yoke". This is meant as to join one's individual spirit with the spirit (of God) that permeates the universe and all things. This is achieved by stilling the mind and achieving "a deliverance from pain and sorrow" (very similar to Buddhism which partly derives from Hinduism/Yoga).

One of my Sensei told me that older uses of "Ai" meant to yoke or join (as in to yoke two oxen together so they pull in the same direction). I took this to justify a slightly more physical and aggressive irimi style. However now I am wondering about the spiritual aspect of Aiki. I know Osensei perceived of training in the martial arts as a path to enlightenment but I don't know much more about his religious intentions. All I have picked up is some vague information about vibrations (quantum physics?) and the importance of the circle, square and triangle (why?).

Is this what is meant by achieving Harmony? What does everyone think of the Yoga thing?