PDA

View Full Version : multiple koryu study

everest
13th April 2004, 01:29
i was wondering about the pro and con experiences of members who have more then one koryu at the same time.included would be a koryu and a more modern art like judo etc,.

as for myself smr jo and aikido are enough to keep my dance card full.just interested in opinions.
thanks,
scott altland
itten dojo,mechanicsburg,pa.

nicojo
13th April 2004, 02:06
I am doing iaido and bagua/hsing i at the same time...

...but since they have quite opposite ways of teaching and body movements, it is OK.

It is very different to do a kata to perfect movement, form and mind (not that I am capable of this) and to walk a circle/"develop tantien" (not that I am capable of that either). If I was doing an unarmed japanese art and neija, or unarmed japanese art and koryu, it would be very difficult for me I think. Two koryus at the same time at my level is ridiculous. Maybe after nidan or so...

That's just me though. So far, so good. Others will differ.

Bill Gallant
13th April 2004, 06:22
I'm training in SMR jo, ZNKR iaido (MJER), various forms of Kenjutsu, and when given the chance I'll train in anything that happens along.
My personal belief is to train in as much as you can "handle", provided you can keep everything straight inside your head.
If you can't keep the differances between the various koryu straight, cut back on how many arts you train in. To wait until I get more experienced for me seems silly. I can walk into a dojo and flip my mind over to what we are training on that day, but I know people who get confused sorting out seiti mae from Omori mae.
To each their own.

john mark
13th April 2004, 11:14
Originally posted by everest
i was wondering about the pro and con experiences of members who have more then one koryu at the same time.included would be a koryu and a more modern art like judo etc,.

as for myself smr jo and aikido are enough to keep my dance card full.just interested in opinions.
thanks,
scott altland

Scott,

Two recommendations --

1. Ask Meik and Diane.

2. Buy a copy of Keiko Shokon -- study of multiple koryu is discussed. Bob has a copy in stock.

Best,

everest
13th April 2004, 13:11
hi john,
actually reading the article in meik and diane's book inspired my question.studying smr with the intricate details and the frustration that naturally goes with it....let alone multiple arts would to say the least be daunting.not just the the technical difficulties but how the japanese teachers of the koryu's look upon a student training in this manner.

sometime after class i plan to ask meik and diane about their experiences ,not just this but training in japan in general.like i said ,i smr and aikido are enough for me but i enjoy hearing about training experiences.see you at training.

scott altland

ps. ellis's books also had excellent material on this subject.