PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian on vacation...

Green_Dreads
14th April 2004, 00:24
While I don't intend to be in Japan until early next year - and by early I mean March time - I am already considering the difficulties I'm going to have getting around as a vegetarian. I first have to consider the ppl who have kindly agreed to take me into their home for two months with two friends to help one of them to get around, and I have to consider that in bars and resturants, I might not find vegetarian alternatives.

Anybody got any ideas? Suddenly I think I'll be spending most dinner times at Mc.Donalds getting Quarn burgers....

Exorcist_Fist
14th April 2004, 01:44
What is a quarn burger?

Exorcist_Fist
14th April 2004, 01:56
BTW, if you have not done so already, it would be best to explain in 100% clear terms to the people you will be staying with that you have no intention of eating any meat whatsoever.

Tea Guy
15th April 2004, 10:30
Hm....I suppose you should be warned of one particular thing in Japanese cuisine that you may have a problem with: Dashi.
Dashi is a fish stock typically made of kelp (konbu) and dried bonito fish (katsuo) and is used in a number of dishes (although there are types of dashi made of only konbu). This is used as a seasoning, a simmering liquid, and a broth. Even if you're having something as simple as a spinach dish, you have to deal with the fact that it probably contains some dashi. Even noodle dishes such as soba and udon are swimming in a dashi based broth (while ramen is usually pork based). Miso soup even contains dashi (although I'm sure you can ask for one made with water).
I'm not telling you this to get your hopes up, but rather trying to prepare you so that you don't find yourself unknowingly going against your lifestyle. I do know of one style of cooking in Japan that is vegetarian though. I suggest looking for information on "shojin ryori", which is a Buddhist style of vegetarian cooking. I'd offer some information on it, but I personally don't know a great deal about it.
Well, I wish you the best of luck on your vegetarian experience in Japan!

C.Sieg

Alex Meehan
15th April 2004, 10:52
I've been a vegetarian for around 10 years and I'm getting ready to go to Tokyo for my fifth trip this summer, so I might be able to help a little. The bad news is that it's a pain in the arse. I've actually started learning Japanese specifically so I can negotiate restaurants better, as I couldn't stomach the thought of another two week trip living on rice and miso.

Some good hints: Find an okonomyaki restaurant - they serve a type of japanese pancake/pizza type of thing that is made with an egg batter pancake loaded with vegetables, noodles and cabbage/lettuce with a tonkatsu sauce. These are usually made with pork, chicken or fish (and even cream cheese and natto - god knows why) but I've never had a problem getting a vegetarian one made, and they taste fantastic.

Also, Tempura can be great, as can yasai cha han or vegetable fried rice but you have to be careful to make it clear that you don't eat meat, fish or chicken. In fact, that's a crucial phrase as most Japanese (just like everyone else actually) don't understand that fish aren't vegetables.

I'd make an effort to memorise some Japanese phrases for vegetarian dishes but reconcile yourself to the fact that you will have to examine everything closely before eating it, and even then, you can never be sure, so it's probably best not to think too hard about it.